From WTNH.com

Middletown, Conn. (WTNH) - The acting police chief in Middletown was put on leave yesterday after accusations arose that he was seen drinking in uniform.

On the November ballot, there was supposed to be a referendum on making Acting Police Chief Patrick McMahon the permanent chief. Now Mayor Sebastian Giuliano wants to take that option off the ballot.

"If he's still only under investigation and nothing has been proven, should the people get a chance to vote on the job?"

"Sure, I think that would only be the fair thing to do. Of course. Everybody deserves a chance," said Michael Salvino, a Middletown resident.

On the streets of Middletown, that seems to be the sentiment.

McMahon is on 30 day paid leave for giving conflicting statements about whether he drank while wearing a badge and carrying a gun.

Giuliano not only benched the chief, but he wants to take off the November ballot a referendum about making him permanent chief.

McMahon said, "I don't know if he can legally remove it. The citizens put it on there. he didn't. And I don't think he can retroactively remove an appointment. I think the ballot question is very clear. The question is should the appointment as in january be approved. The mayor has said repeatedly when challenged by the democrats that it can't come off. That the citizens will decide. So the citizens will decide."

Some say the drinking allegations will determine how they vote, if they get the chance.

Barbara Humble said, "Because he should be setting the example, you know what I mean? He's the acting chief, he has everyone underneath him, so I wouldn't vote for him."

The acting chief has said if the mayor tries to take the referendum off the ballot, he is going to fight to keep it on there.

A spokesman at the Secretary of the State's office said that it depends on what the city charter says about if the mayor can take a referendum off the ballot.

Calls to the Middletown City Attorney have so far been unanswered.