REMEMBER THE “LARGO 8” BUST MAKING NATIONAL NEWS? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: REMEMBER THE “LARGO 8” BUST MAKING NATIONAL NEWS?

Georgia boy … Now, Tippy, why do ya wanna be like that (complaining like Herb Weller). You don’t want to let your alligator mouth overload your hummingbird butt. Try to remember, when you bad-mouth the alumni you’re bad-mouthing the good folks still with FHP, the Pinellas County Sheriff’s Office and other law enforcement agencies. We just need to get along so don’t be the cause of difficulties for your colleagues. Know what I mean?

Hey, Georgia Cop, you must not understand that brothers in uniform,like to kid each other.It helps keep a bond between each other ,(do you have any brothers or sisters?),and makes light of some of the burden from the bad things you ecounter while on duty.
    My uncle,who was a Police Chief, a Florida Police Officer of the Year,and recipient of The Police Medal of Honor,and an auxilliary member of the Largo force in the mid '50's,thought Daryl's song was funny,and not to be taken seriously.
    LIghten up,officer.

Dear GA Cop AKA Buford;

You will notice I have put my name at the very top of this little note-You might wonder why. Well Buford, it seems like you missed or perhaps did not understand the subject matter of Human Relations nor ever read: "How to Win Friends and Influence People". In short, your total lack of manners are somewhat exposed.

As a former member of a small southern town police dept. and later a Deputy for the Pinellas SO let me tell you about this piece of scum, to which you have made reference. Back in the day, as my grandson says, our closes back-up may be some thirty minutes away. And when you have three or four good ole boys fighting, cutting and just have a real good time, one may kind of wish there was someone to help put on these cuffs.

At 6'4" 225 pounds and a former Marine, I usually could handle most situations. But, this particular night the sound of a Dodge's 383 screaming through the 3 AM night was most comforting. In just a few minutes, this piece of scum steps out of the cruiser with a big grin across his face and says; "Hey Davey ya need some help Buddy?"

In very short order we had about six 10-15's and were 10-51 to the county jail. Yeah Buford, that was my buddy Daryl, better known to you as piece of scum.

Later, after "ole scum bag" left the SO and became an entertainer, all of us loved to stop in and tease and be teased, cut up and carry on. Understand, Daryl is and was well liked, admired and respected throughout all of Tampa Bay. A gentleman, a good Father, trusted husband and a fine upstanding citizen.

So Buford, after you sit back and understand you have tinkled in your mess kit, you will have a chance of apologizing openly for mis-judging "our brother under the tin". At least you could attempt to be that much of a man. Or not.

Daryl May is a great man. I suspect "Buford" is not. Daryl let us laugh at ourselves, especially during that ridiculous Largo 8 incident. The late night comics were all skewering "us" in the Tampa Bay area for those arrests. They were RIDICULOUS. Daryl May was a great cop and then, a great comedian/entertainer. I was there, Buford. Obviously, you weren't. Or if you were, you were the dullest blade in the shack. Now, let's talk about the overdue library book arrest in our area. Or, better yet, how about the "T back" arrests on Clearwater Beach that brought us back to the national spotlight for being absurd. (Thanks, Fred Thomas). Yep, Buford....I'll bet the sheriff gave you only one bullet in your arsenal and that would have been too much.

RESPONSE TO "GEORGIA COP"

In Internet jargon the Largo cop (i.e. Georgia Cop) would be called a "troll" because trolls hide under bridges and in the cesspits of forums and attack the innocuous. The Largo cop’s vicious remarks about Daryl May's 30-year old comedy routine are known as "flame wars" because his anonymouse and heated comments are called flaming. It happens often. That is why forums have moderators to control flaming and ban people who are just trolls. it's pleasing to have devotees put idiot like Georgia Cop in his place.
    It would be interesting to know if the Chief of Police has seen the Georgia Cop's comments and know his department has a disjointed member.

Yes , the Chief infrequently looks at this forum. "Georgia Cop" is not a Largo officer. I enjoyed Darryl's show many times at Clearwater Beach back in the 70's, and he bought me a snakebite the weekend before I left for military service in '77. Darryl May's reputation requires no defense here. Solid guy, good cop, and talented entertainer/author. Everyone should know that the Largo * was a PCSO caper, but hey, we all have our stories. Stay well Darryl....God bless.....JC

Quote Originally Posted by DARYL MAY
    To anonymous “Georgia Cop.” I do apologize if I’ve injured your sensitivities in any way. That certainly was not my intent. I was a deputy sheriff at a time when we didn’t turn on each other as you have so demonstrated. I had many dear and great friends with FHP and Largo P.D. They were, to name just a few with L.P.D., Bud Miles, Richard “Bones” Criles, Joe Gallenstein (former chief), Bill Henson and Prentice Dort. Bill Henson could finger-pick a flat-top guitar as good or better than Merl Travis or ol’ Chet. Later, as an entertainer, I did fund raisers for Largo P.D. causes. You shoulda heard then what the Largo guys would jokingly say about the Pinellas S.O.

Nevertheless, we backed up each other in many weekend brawls at Largo’s Belleair Bar, The Gator Bar, The Double R Bar, Troy’s, The Harmony Bar, The Do Drop Inn out by the old Ohio Trailer Park where you live. I think your phrase “scumbag” is just a tad harsh. I fear you probably carry that same attitude with you out on the street. I wish you well. I would ask that further responses remain civil … and why not identify yourself? After all, you’re entitled to your opinion. Regards, Daryl May

PS: Incidentally, I’ll bet you didn’t know that it takes three Gerogia cops turned Largo cops to make chocolate chip cookies. It takes one to stir the dough and two to squeeze the rabbit. Have a great day, Sparky.
    Daryl,

Question for you. My mom and her partner owned The Harmony Bar in the early 70s. I remember it in a very vague aspect (pool tables, Yoo Hoos, turning in aluminum cans for $$$). What can you tell me about the bar? trying to stir some memories. Former naval aviator. You will not harm my sensibilities Thanks!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12