a question to the ocala police

a question to the ocala police

I am a resident (evidently) and i would like to know if the police officers in ocala have..... any resentment when enforcing certain laws.

i guess im asking if there are certain laws that you guys believe are either over enforced or should not be enforced at all? I understand that you guys "strive to protect and serve", but everyone has a political side of them, or a side of them that's more inclined with certain things.

like, i would like to think that no cop actually enjoys giving speeding tickets (although sometimes someone reallllllyyy deserves a hefty driving fine B/)

and with any job there is all ways going to be a good few details that you don't agree with. i ask this..... Because in my head, id be a civil servant, if it wasn't for how many laws i disagree with and would not want to enforce at all.

Re: a question to the ocala police

I'm not speaking for anyone but myself by saying this, nor am I speaking on behalf of the department. There are many laws that I disagree with but I am sworn to uphold them all, and I will.

As for speeding tickets, I don't enjoy writting them as much as I enjoy knowing that giving out a UTC slowing a driver down is going to save someones life, maybe a family member of mine, maybe yours!

If your really that interested in knowing how officers feel go do a ride a long and aske them for yourself, then make a decision from there.

If you check the public records at OPD and check the dates that Rodney Smith was in charge of the Major Crimes Section, ie: Homicides, Robbery, child sex crimes, each Detective was required to go out and write 3 tickets a week for anything they could find. If this was not done you could count on being transferred out of the section for some reason. This is easy to check, just get the traffic stats for detectives prior to Smith and then check the stats during his reign. You will be shocked. He was then later promoted to Dep. Chief and as with most of his promotions, they were based on race issues in which other much much more qualified Staff Officers were passed over, but you did not dare say a word or YOU would be branded a racist. This was just the tip of the iceberg of things that were going on in the Department.

The department like many others was much more statistically driven during that time frame. That era of the OPD is over and I am for one very glad it is. Although it is our job to conduct traffic enforcement citations should be solely based on the officer's discretion and not an order from a guy who did not write very many as a street cop himself.
    Our agency is a much better place to work and be around now than in the past. There is not as much pressure and the environment is actually calm. This department now has the opportunity to be an elite agency in the state if the current leaders take it that way. The only downside right now is pay and projected raises. If the FOP and city can come to an agreement this negotiation that is beneficial for all, there is nothing stopping this department, and its staff from being the best.

Quote Originally Posted by Hooligan 2
    This department now has the opportunity to be an elite agency in the state. The only downside right now is pay and projected raises.
    Your Po-dunk agency will NEVER be a, "elite agency in the state", and "pay and projected raises", are an important part of becoming elite. Your small fish in a small pond fella.

Hey Guest,

Apparently you have no idea what this agency has to offer as a whole so go back to your little job as a bag boy and stay off of our web page! :lol: