DL the major
Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: DL the major

DL the major

What do you think about him?

Do you think we should of listened more carefully to the city manager?

I feel like he is destroying CCSO now, why won't any Sheriff see how nasty and malicious he is?

Published: Sunday, February 23, 2003 at 3:20 a.m.
    Last Modified: Sunday, February 23, 2003 at 12:00 a.m.
    PUNTA GORDA -- Police Chief Dan Libby, the city's top police officer for the last seven years, has resigned amid a political battle with the city manager.

Click to enlarge
    Punta Gorda Police Chief Dan Libby led the city's department for seven years.
    Libby, 51, hand-delivered his resignation letter Friday night to City Manager Willard R. Beck's Sierra Lane home after City Hall closed.

The resignation is effective Tuesday.
    Beck and Libby had been at odds for some time, with the city manager concerned about turmoil within the police department. Beck considered firing Libby last March, but didn't.

"No, I am not worried," Beck said Saturday, commenting about what impact Libby's resignation might have on the department and the city. "He said it was time to move on."

Libby could not be reached Saturday. Beck declined comment about the animosity ripping through the department.

Councilman Thomas D. Poole said Libby's departure, which was anticipated by some, is a great loss to the city.

"I think given the current state of affairs he had to do what's best for him," Poole said Saturday from his home. "He was kind of in an impossible situation. How can he work under those conditions?"

A city police commander resigned from the department earlier this month to take a job in the Hernando County Sheriff's Office. An internal report last year cited in passing that he had been harassed at work through numerous complaints about his performance.

Libby was hired in May 1996 following a national search, which yielded 50 candidates. Libby ran the Plymouth, N.H., police department -- a city about half the size of Punta Gorda -- for six years.

"We liked the way he worked his way up the ranks and liked his emphasis on training," Punta Gorda's human resources manager told the Herald-Tribune in 1996.

Deputy Chief Charles R. Rinehart, who has been with the department for about 20 years, will take over as acting chief, Beck said.

Re: DL the major

Wowser Tommy speaking out

Its true though.

Cool Re: DL the major

I agree, time for a whole change of admin. A mac of 4 captains 1 or 2 majors MAX!

People who are for the deputies not against them.

Post Re: DL the major

I wish DL would just leave already, he knows everyone hates him.

DL is a cancer.

I agree bro!

Get this, I saw him last month use his luxury undercover vehicle and brought his family to the mall and they all were having a grand ol' time.

Wow WASTING tax payers money.

GO GO GO!!! GET OUT OF CCSO!! CANCER!!!!!!!!

The other ones just as bad if not worse....

I thought agency vehicles were for work related purposes only and not for taking the family to the mall. Didn't he himself send out an email about that due to increased fuel costs? My bad I forgot this is a "do as I say not as I do" administration.

Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast