New State Radios?

New State Radios?

How are those new SLERS 800 mhz radios working out for yall?
    Found all the dead spots?
    Are the scanner people crying yet?

Re: New State Radios?

The radios are working great better than the junk that was powered up before the switch. Whoever was working on the stuff was in need of some training on how to install, repair and maintain a radio system.... State radios are by far a vast improvement, dead spots well you gonna have them but there are not as many by far as the other attempt at a radio system we had before. but we can talk to perry dispatch from an 8 county area.......... !!!!!!

Scanner bunnies are upset, Law channels are secure, only law enforcement or law dispatcher have those frequencies. so everyone else is crying because they can't listen to police work....

Whoever commented back on this radio questions obviously works for Harris communications or has a nice desk in Tally. Not the folks in Taylor. Can you say overpriced radios fancy looking with fisher price like quality and no interoperbility with county neighbors.

It is overpriced, even the $110 per unit annual service contract is way out of line. By the time they pay monthly user fees and contracts over a 10 year period, they could have built a very nice narrowband VHF system that the county would own. Not sure why the city services, all the county and school board services didn't get together and buy something that would serve everyone. Now emergency services are on their own leaving the others to come up with a solution. Not a smart move with tax money. A county with less than 20K population should not have an issue with consolidation of communication services.
    I think they jumped the gun with some bad information, I'm sure the high powered sales team at Harris really did a number on them.

Interoperability, if they had it would it be used? Honestly, how many times do you need to call a neighboring agency direct? They have interoperability with FHP but will not use it or have not been trained talk directly with the troopers or their dispatcher in Tallahassee. Many crashes off the beaten path would have faster response time if they would just talk to each other. They have a common channel.

If they need to communicate with a neighbor, the dispatcher can relay information. In fact, the interoperability issue has been solved if the dispatch centers would only use it. It's call FIN. Paid for by a grant and installed into all agency dispatch centers.

Department of Management Services > SUNCOM > Public Safety Bureau > Radio Communications > Florida Interoperability Network (FIN) > System Description

The Florida interoperability network (FIN) utilizes Motorola's Motobridge hardware and software. Primary components are Operations and Maintenance Center (OMC) servers and System Initiation Protocol (SIP) servers at the system level; and Radio Gateway Units (RGUs), and Dispatcher Application software at the local level. DMS' MyFloridaNet (MFN) service provides the connectivity and redundancy for the network. Other characteristics of FIN are:
    IP-Based Network
    Distributed architecture with no central switch and redundancy to insure 24/7 system services
    Support for all radio frequency bands and proprietary systems
    Secured, encrypted network
    Scalable components components for future expansion, if desired
    Motorola's Network management & system maintenance

Heck, I like channel 19 on my cb.

The state just announced that they are removing these FINS from most agencies. Only a few will remain installed at key agencies. This is due to costs associated with running a dedicated T1 line to each Motobridge.
    Quote Originally Posted by Guest
    It is overpriced, even the $110 per unit annual service contract is way out of line. By the time they pay monthly user fees and contracts over a 10 year period, they could have built a very nice narrowband VHF system that the county would own. Not sure why the city services, all the county and school board services didn't get together and buy something that would serve everyone. Now emergency services are on their own leaving the others to come up with a solution. Not a smart move with tax money. A county with less than 20K population should not have an issue with consolidation of communication services.
    I think they jumped the gun with some bad information, I'm sure the high powered sales team at Harris really did a number on them.

Interoperability, if they had it would it be used? Honestly, how many times do you need to call a neighboring agency direct? They have interoperability with FHP but will not use it or have not been trained talk directly with the troopers or their dispatcher in Tallahassee. Many crashes off the beaten path would have faster response time if they would just talk to each other. They have a common channel.

If they need to communicate with a neighbor, the dispatcher can relay information. In fact, the interoperability issue has been solved if the dispatch centers would only use it. It's call FIN. Paid for by a grant and installed into all agency dispatch centers.

Department of Management Services > SUNCOM > Public Safety Bureau > Radio Communications > Florida Interoperability Network (FIN) > System Description

The Florida interoperability network (FIN) utilizes Motorola's Motobridge hardware and software. Primary components are Operations and Maintenance Center (OMC) servers and System Initiation Protocol (SIP) servers at the system level; and Radio Gateway Units (RGUs), and Dispatcher Application software at the local level. DMS' MyFloridaNet (MFN) service provides the connectivity and redundancy for the network. Other characteristics of FIN are:
    IP-Based Network
    Distributed architecture with no central switch and redundancy to insure 24/7 system services
    Support for all radio frequency bands and proprietary systems
    Secured, encrypted network
    Scalable components components for future expansion, if desired
    Motorola's Network management & system maintenance

Quote Originally Posted by Interops1
    The state just announced that they are removing these FINS from most agencies.
    please post your source on that? I believe its just in the planning stag on which agency will be taken off line. I here they were looking to take down non priority or secondary locations. Why would they put FIN in place in the beginning if it were non priority?

I think the use of FIN is an awesome tool but your example of using it with FHP for faster response is a little off. FHP's problem in response to rural areas is the mapping system. If anyone has ever talked to FHP's dispatch you would know their maps dont carry local roads/ or the local names of the roads. So you have one dispatcher that has local names and not a clue to what the state or county rd name is and the other that knows all state and county names and not local. Throw in a couple people that arent the greatest map readers and you have a cluster!!! FIN is good. People need to be trained and maybe it would be used more!!! :devil: I personally think a universal mapping system would be nice. You have people that don't know the area they just know what a map says.

Nice Tahoe Pretty Boy