6% Pay Cut Bill PASSED Today!
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

6% Pay Cut Bill PASSED Today!

If you have not heard, news sources, including TBO just reported that legislation PASSED TODAY that will require everyone that earns over $50,000 a year to contribute 6% of their pay. Thats a knockout blow for me! Im done. I WILL NOT RISK MY LIFE or my childrens future without a father, when I have not seen a payraise in years and now get hit with a 6% paycut. I am retiring with the years I have before July 1st and moving out of this blood sucking State of Florida. This Sheriff's Office has been going down the sh*tter the last several years anyway and morale on the street is at a crisis point. The Sheriff & his Posse better do something to Rally Up the poor soles that will be left to deal with this sinking ship. Time to throw the life rafts overboard and paddle anywhere but HCSO and the State of Florida. Good luck you poor *******s!

Re: 6% Pay Cut Bill PASSED Today!

You are *****ing and blaming this office for the changes that were made in Tallahassee and will affect every Sheriff's Office in this state.

Where in this story do you see a bill that passed both houses and the governor signed?

STOP PANICING AHEAD OF TIME.

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. (AP) — State spending would drop by about $4 billion under differing budget bills approved by Florida's two legislative chambers.

The Senate voted 33-6 for its $69.8 billion spending bill Thursday. The House followed with a party line 78-39 roll call more than eight hours later.

The two Republican-controlled chambers next week will begin trying to resolve their differences during the remaining month of the legislative session.

Both budgets would cut nearly every area of state spending including education, health care and environmental protection. They also would effectively cut public employee wages by about 3 percent in most cases and increase tuition for college and university students.

The Senate's budget is $3.3 billion higher than the House's $66.5 billion plan. The bottom line variation is due mainly to bookkeeping differences.

Quote Originally Posted by Guest
    Where in this story do you see a bill that passed both houses and the governor signed?

STOP PANICING AHEAD OF TIME.

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. (AP) — State spending would drop by about $4 billion under differing budget bills approved by Florida's two legislative chambers.

The Senate voted 33-6 for its $69.8 billion spending bill Thursday. The House followed with a party line 78-39 roll call more than eight hours later.

The two Republican-controlled chambers next week will begin trying to resolve their differences during the remaining month of the legislative session.

Both budgets would cut nearly every area of state spending including education, health care and environmental protection. They also would effectively cut public employee wages by about 3 percent in most cases and increase tuition for college and university students.

The Senate's budget is $3.3 billion higher than the House's $66.5 billion plan. The bottom line variation is due mainly to bookkeeping differences.
    This IS NOT the latest update or the latest news release about what just passed in the Legislature. "Average Joe" is usually pretty good about posting accurate updates, so I'm sure he can provide better details then me. HCSO sent most of it's command staff to Tallahassee today because today was the critical vote.

Quote Originally Posted by Guest
    You are *****ing and blaming this office for the changes that were made in Tallahassee and will affect every Sheriff's Office in this state.
    You are exactly right and the reason anyone with half a brain and not too many years invested here will be trying to abandon ship for a Municipal police agency. The years of arguing that TPD has to pay into their pension plan are done. They can retire in 20 years and that is EVERYTHING in a job like this.

Here it is

Oh well, cannot get the article to post on this site. It is dated April 7th and is available on Tbo.com. It is title "Bill requiring employee pension contributions passes legislature". If somebody else can please post it, it would be appreciated. Stay safe you all.

Bill requiring employee pension contributions passes Legislature
    ADVERTISEMENT
    The Associated Press

Published: April 7, 2011

Updated: 04/07/2011 08:03 pm

TALLAHASSEE — Teachers, firefighters, police and state employees may soon be contributing to their pensions for the first time under a bill passed today by Florida lawmakers amid union opposition.

The measure passed mostly along party line in the House on a 78-39 vote and 26-13 in the Senate where scores of disgruntled union workers watched from the gallery. The bill (SB 2100) was amended to conform to the House bill and now goes to conference.

In the Senate, four Republicans voted against it while two South Florida Democrats, Sens. Nan Rich of Weston and Jeremy Ring of Margate, voted for the bill.

The legislation would establish a tiered-system requiring higher paid employees to put a larger percentage of their earnings into their retirement. The bill (SB 2100) calls for contributions of 2 percent for the first $25,000 of pay, 4 percent for the next $25,000 and 6 percent for anything more. Legislators and statewide elected officials, the governor and cabinet, would pay an additional percentage point to their earnings, capped at 7 percent.

"I wish we didn't have to go there, but I think it's the responsible thing to do when you look at the whole broad set of issues," Senate budget chief JD Alexander, R-Lake Wales, said.

The Senate vote was taken while the union workers looked on. They swarmed across the Capitol during the day, some with signs that read "Pink Slip Rick," in their disapproval of new Gov. Rick Scott. Employee unions have opposed the pension changes, claiming Florida's retirement system is one of the nation's strongest.

"We are being forced to pay a tax on our salaries to bail out Florida," said Gary Rainey, president of Florida Professional Firefighters.

"Hundreds of public sector workers visiting the Capitol today watched majorities in both the House and Senate choose to protect tax exemptions, loopholes and subsidies for the big business lobby over teachers, firefighters, police officers and anyone who chooses to serve the people of this state," said Florida AFL-CIO President Mike Williams., "Today's votes will only increase our struggle."

The bill is also not as rigid as Scott's original proposal that would have required all public employees contribute 5 percent of their earnings into their retirement.

The Democratic leader in the House, Rep. Ron Saunders of Key West, said requiring state employees to pay into their retirement was nothing short of an income tax on state workers.

The contribution requirements would help lawmakers overcome a budget deficit of $3.75 billion, effectively reducing the wages of teachers, state workers and many local government employees including police and firefighters. A 3 percent contribution rate would save about $1 billion.

The Senate also agreed to delay for five years the repeal of a program that lets retirement-eligible employees continue working, collecting both a salary and retirement benefits.

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Dog
    Bill requiring employee pension contributions passes Legislature
    ADVERTISEMENT
    The Associated Press

Published: April 7, 2011

Updated: 04/07/2011 08:03 pm

TALLAHASSEE — Teachers, firefighters, police and state employees may soon be contributing to their pensions for the first time under a bill passed today by Florida lawmakers amid union opposition.

The measure passed mostly along party line in the House on a 78-39 vote and 26-13 in the Senate where scores of disgruntled union workers watched from the gallery. The bill (SB 2100) was amended to conform to the House bill and now goes to conference.

In the Senate, four Republicans voted against it while two South Florida Democrats, Sens. Nan Rich of Weston and Jeremy Ring of Margate, voted for the bill.

The legislation would establish a tiered-system requiring higher paid employees to put a larger percentage of their earnings into their retirement. The bill (SB 2100) calls for contributions of 2 percent for the first $25,000 of pay, 4 percent for the next $25,000 and 6 percent for anything more. Legislators and statewide elected officials, the governor and cabinet, would pay an additional percentage point to their earnings, capped at 7 percent.

"I wish we didn't have to go there, but I think it's the responsible thing to do when you look at the whole broad set of issues," Senate budget chief JD Alexander, R-Lake Wales, said.

The Senate vote was taken while the union workers looked on. They swarmed across the Capitol during the day, some with signs that read "Pink Slip Rick," in their disapproval of new Gov. Rick Scott. Employee unions have opposed the pension changes, claiming Florida's retirement system is one of the nation's strongest.

"We are being forced to pay a tax on our salaries to bail out Florida," said Gary Rainey, president of Florida Professional Firefighters.

"Hundreds of public sector workers visiting the Capitol today watched majorities in both the House and Senate choose to protect tax exemptions, loopholes and subsidies for the big business lobby over teachers, firefighters, police officers and anyone who chooses to serve the people of this state," said Florida AFL-CIO President Mike Williams., "Today's votes will only increase our struggle."

The bill is also not as rigid as Scott's original proposal that would have required all public employees contribute 5 percent of their earnings into their retirement.

The Democratic leader in the House, Rep. Ron Saunders of Key West, said requiring state employees to pay into their retirement was nothing short of an income tax on state workers.

The contribution requirements would help lawmakers overcome a budget deficit of $3.75 billion, effectively reducing the wages of teachers, state workers and many local government employees including police and firefighters. A 3 percent contribution rate would save about $1 billion.

The Senate also agreed to delay for five years the repeal of a program that lets retirement-eligible employees continue working, collecting both a salary and retirement benefits.
    Why does everyone seem to lose sight of the fact that "We" are some of the biggest taxpayers in this state already. "We".....being mostly the middle class, get stuck every single time having to "support" the poor and "bail out" the wealthy. The wealthy are among the biggest supporters of this measure....is it there really any wonder why?

The wealthy don't have to worry about the quality of public school teachers or whether they are well compensated and in the right mind set to teach after this, because their children NEVER SET FOOT in a public school. They too don't care whether law enforcement is adequately paid or capable of recruiting and keeping qualified law enforcement officers, because they live in extravagant gated communities that are free of crime and buy their way out of any situation as it is now. Heck, we just saw proof that with enough personal wealth, you can buy even the state Governors seat.

I have dedicated my life to this country we live in, first serving proudly in the United States military and then proudly serving the citizens of Hillsborough County. I knew the wages were low and that I would never be wealthy in this line of work. I stayed with it because I truly enjoyed helping my fellow man and although the wages were lousy, I figured I could count on receiving enough benefits when I reached retirement, that I could at least pay the bills and feel the pride that comes with serving others.

I never once thought that the County & State that I served for so long, would abandon many of the benefits that I worked so hard for. On top of this, I now see just how UNAPPRECIATED the men & women who do this job are. I find it even more disturbing that this is all occurring during a time when so many military troops and law enforcement officers are being killed, both domestically & abroad. If this does not prove to the men & women who risk their lives & body parts daily, that the folks you help today will turn on you tomorrow, you are blind.

Never again will I go the extra mile and take the all too often risks for a community & state that has turned its back on us at such a horrific time in the local & state chapter of law enforcement. (11) dead Leo's already in Florida this year and it is only the beginning of april.

PLEASE....lets not allow a 12th to happen, but I know that is asking way too much from such a violent cold hearted society.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast