"You get what you vote for" from PNJ

"You get what you vote for" from PNJ

You get what you vote for
    11:00 PM, Apr. 4, 2011 |

If you voted for Rick Scott raise your hand — or at least hold your head up.

It's easier to find Osama bin Laden than to find someone who will admit that they helped put Gov. Rick Scott in office.

In proof of my theory, I was at Circuit Court in Escambia County last week when a state prosecutor started railing about Scott and his proposed deep — and painful — budget cuts.

The prosecutor insisted that he didn't vote for Gov. Scott and was hard-pressed to find anyone out of the estimated 75 percent of Northwest Floridians who statistics show did vote for Scott to admit it.

When we stepped into an elevator loaded with about a dozen people old enough to vote, I asked: "If you voted for Rick Scott, raise your hand."

Most of them either gave a weak smile or dropped their head in shame.

The prosecutor laughed and said, "I told you no one would admit it."

Cut to the bone
    I'm not afraid to admit it.

I didn't vote for the man.

But for the millions of you who did, you should know that you get what you vote for.

While campaigning for governor, Scott said, if elected, he would run Florida like a business.

He's doing exactly what he said he would do, much to the dismay of Floridians who are feeling the effects of his hatchet job.

A Republican with a huge backing by the tea party, Gov. Scott has a budget plan that would cut Florida's spending by $4.6 billion.

Some of Scott's biggest budget-cutting proposals include $700 million in school funding, $1 billion from prison spending, tax cuts totaling $4 billion over the next two years, a $4 billion Medicaid reform and an 8,700 overall reduction in the state government workforce.

Lesson in politics
    Adding to angst surrounding the wide-sweeping budget cuts, Scott is proposing unwelcome changes in the state pension system, drug testing for state employees and merit pay for teachers based on student performance.

So, how's that vote for Rick Scott thingy working out fo' ya?

For all of you who did cast a ballot for Great Scott, I hope you learned a lesson taught in Politics 101: You're stuck with the person you vote for.

I know it's a lesson in futility, but voters should take a long look at who you're voting for, not against.

Ask yourself if this person is competent, compassionate and connected to reality. Make sure that he or she is someone you will be happy with once the election is over.

One more question, Florida voters: "Are you happy now?"

Re: "You get what you vote for" from PNJ

Yes I am. The only thing that is a shame is the pain has to be so intense to promulgate change in the system. There are already better ways to do things, streamline them, to cut costs. There are also common sense things that will infuriated the dumb masses, example, frivolous lawsuits is prime time for revamping. How? It is simplistic, the loser pays all expenses, it would stop the BS. Good luck to the FRS folks, if you think it is bad now wait for the next onslaught on the system. Most people vote to get you down to their level, if I pay, you pay. So the people who are bashing Scott are the ones with access to the means to get their opinion out, but are not the voters. I will happily stand up and admit I voted for him and have a viable argument and can articulate why.