DFS A GOOD ORGANIZATION TO WORK FOR?
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Re: DFS A GOOD ORGANIZATION TO WORK FOR?

DIF has the ability to be the best in the country. However it has poor leadership at all levels. Don’t get me wrong the leaders are “nice guys” but have no real leadership abilities on how to make large case operations a reality. They don’t become involved in monthly meetings with the detectives and really don’t understand or are afraid to get involved with all law enforcement aspects. Maybe they have not been mentored properly, however DIF has lost a lot of great talent because of poor decisions. Just look at who has made policy and decisions, analysts, supervisors with no leadership in major case handling, etc. DIF is more interested in numbers of arrests and not quality over the long term. They are also obsessed with your hours in reports vs a daily or weekly worksheet. If you want to come and work your cases and go home with no hope for future of the agency then it is right for you. If you are fairly new to law enforcement I would say go look elsewhere. DIF can be a model for the rest of the nation but fails to take the needed steps including getting RID of unnecessary staff in Tally and beyond. Nice supervisors dont make "good supervisors" One must come out and get involved to make things happen and that includes all aspects of police work not just in your own world.!

How is the pay? I have three previous years of law enforcement experience at the street level with a city in South Western Florida. We start at 42k and have a take home vehicle. Also is the division in jeopardy of lay offs or is this division exempt from it due to the huge problem of insurance fraud in Florida?

No lay off with everyone leaving taking their pension. If you are south of Palm Beach County pay for certified experienced LEO's is about $39,900.00 plus $5000.00 for CAD ( area) and whatever school education you have up to a 4 year degree. I believe the starting pay in your area is $39,900.00 plus school extras.. you get a take home car, mainly day time work and must complete 160 hour before any comp time is allowed. S FL area works some off duty details and the LTs are good about adjusting time if necessary. If you want to do investigative work and know what you are getting into then go ahead.. it seems that someone with 3 years would want a more " progressive agency with room to grow" . You wont find that here with this current admin staff. Good luck on whatever choice you make. Go talk with some guys in your area and do your reserach and weight all the options.! DIF can improve a lot .. plenty of work for everyone!

Smart move you idiot, writing that the Lts will adjust your hours so you can work off duty. Way to go............ Watch how fast the new DCFO cuts our off duty jobs. Not to mention Captiain Brongel. All that accreditation stuff about off duty. did the mess with fort lauderdale pd teach you anything. If I lose my off duty becasue of you, I hope you have restless nights. How dumb can you be. Lets just throw our lts under the bus. Watch for the IG to get ahold of this. What a putz.

Hey DIF GUY if you work 160 during your cycle it doesnt matter when the work gets done... maybe you need to see the real light.. who cares what hours you work as long as it is documented with real work and productivity.. thats the problem with your thinking! I do both and my stats exceed anyones.. so bring it on IDIOT! Stop hiding and get to the real problems in DIF like incompatance of those who supervise us.

Looks like sflleo, curious george, curious george II, FLDIF2, FLDIF,DIF@day is the same poster!

And SFLDIF too

Actually, I am not affiliated with the other posts. I am a current LEO in Pinellas County. I was inquiring about the agency and wanted some positive objective feedback. I do not know who the other guy is who is posting the other stuff. If anyone has any other constructive opinions on the agency or pros and cons I would appreciate it.

prospective applicant

George

DIF is a good agency. Like anything else, what you make of it depends on you. We have lots of work and you can pretty much choose what you would like to investigate - simple straight forward cases or major organized rings. We're a white collar crime agency and so the paperwork can be frustrating at times. The conditions are good and so are the people. Lots of talent from other agencies has landed here. The only drawbacks are the same as any other state agency - Pay and benefits. We don't get regular pay raises and there is no overtime, although you can find off duty work in some offices. The complaining you hear is just your typical LEO ranting.

is it mostly days, monday - friday no holidays

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast