DEP Police
Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: DEP Police

DEP Police

I don't know how or where this information
    originated but I was told Governor Rick Scott
    convinced the legislature to abolish the
    state park police and come July 1st all the
    officers are out of a job. Is this true?
    I have not seen this on the news and I've
    been searching the internet and cannot
    find any such story. But I heard it from
    reliable sources whom I've known for years
    who are state officers.

if true this is going to cost Florida in the long run.
    this governor is anti law enforcement and he is
    placing the citizens at risk. I see a higher crime
    rate coming in a state with minimal law enforcement
    and corrections. Cutting police in today's world
    is not a good idea.

Re: DEP Police

Why don't you just come out and say what you are trying to say? Why bother with that intro BS story? Pony up cowgirl.

I heard the same thing from a PBA rep for another agency who said it is in the works now in legislature. He said it was a done deal and I too searched the internet and didn't see anything about it. The Union Rep said he heard it from a contact in legislature.

Why does any of this talk surprise anyone? Would you think that Gov. Scott is going to come out to the public and say that he is going to cut out DEP Park Police? Come on get real!

Don't surprised if it doesn't happen. If you are lucky, agency mergers may be in line instead of abolishing the agency all together. If the agency head start retiring quickly, that is called a clue, and you should pay attention.

Best of luck to DEP LEO.

Quote Originally Posted by Floyd the Barber
    Why does any of this talk surprise anyone? Would you think that Gov. Scott is going to come out to the public and say that he is going to cut out DEP Park Police? Come on get real!

Don't surprised if it doesn't happen. If you are lucky, agency mergers may be in line instead of abolishing the agency all together. If the agency head start retiring quickly, that is called a clue, and you should pay attention.

Best of luck to DEP LEO.
    One of the senate subcommittees initially had it as a budget line item to abolish the DEP police and outsource the security of all parks. In the past couple of days, that line has been removed. It is still too early to say for sure what will happen once the final budget is passed. It appears all of the agencies are having to worry. FWC stands to lose up to 169 officers if the budget went through as proposed.

Security?
    We need people with arrests powers in the parks not some $8.00 an hour wanna be rent a cop that has to call 9-1-1
    when he sees something go down!!!

Yep, that dog off the leash might just take a dump in the no dumping area or worse, no one there to pick it up. Can't trust a rent a cop to deal with that stuff. :devil:

Most of the DEP run up and down the highway away from the parks looking for stuff. Parks are boring they say. Sooner or later it was bound to catch up. They have been told many times to keep to their mission. Remember the OPPAGA Report?

Quote Originally Posted by Snowbird Yankee
    Yep, that dog off the leash might just take a dump in the no dumping area or worse, no one there to pick it up. Can't trust a rent a cop to deal with that stuff. :devil:

Most of the DEP run up and down the highway away from the parks looking for stuff. Parks are boring they say. Sooner or later it was bound to catch up. They have been told many times to keep to their mission. Remember the OPPAGA Report?
    Half of them wanted to work for the highway patrol or wildlife commission but didn't want to do all of the "hard" work ALL of the time, so they settled. Yep, you can see it when they start making stops away from the parks. "I'm a real cop, too!" Embarrassing. The agency needs to be dissolved and TOT FWC immediately, or at least the land portion of the park needs to be given to the local/SO agency to patrol and handle, and the water portion given to FWC. DEP law enforcement has turned into nothing but an agency for "second career" people to play LEO at.

Florida State Parks, in the future will be patroled by the local cities and county sheriffs offices.They MUST respond anyway if requested or a capital crime occures.DEP Special Agents will remain as Investigators,however reduced.Armed Security ,like at the reststops,may be used in some high crime parks.Times are lean people.

[quote=Local Yokel]
    Quote Originally Posted by "Snowbird Yankee":2bliafx6

Half of them wanted to work for the highway patrol or wildlife commission but didn't want to do all of the "hard" work ALL of the time, so they settled. Yep, you can see it when they start making stops away from the parks. "I'm a real cop, too!" Embarrassing. The agency needs to be dissolved and TOT FWC immediately, or at least the land portion of the park needs to be given to the local/SO agency to patrol and handle, and the water portion given to FWC. DEP law enforcement has turned into nothing but an agency for "second career" people to play LEO at.[/quote:2bliafx6]

I hope everything works out for DEP police but you are right. DEP cops screwed themselves by leaving the parks and making stops in the city.

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast