HOUSE BILL 1405=TIME TO RETIRE ASAP! - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: HOUSE BILL 1405=TIME TO RETIRE ASAP!

Quote Originally Posted by Average Joe
    I still do not know why the Florida Sheriffs can not get together and start a new pension fund for employees hired after July 1. The fund could be set up through FSA. You set vesting at 10 years and continue with 25/55 at 3%. It would then be 10 years before any money would be drawn.

It would also send a nice message to the State that they are making a huge mistake.
    I don't see how the state would feel they had made a mistake. They would actually benefit because they would be off the hook for administering the retirement system for employees covered by the sheriffs.

Other than that, it sounds good. EXCEPT: HOW WOULD THE FSA FUND IT? If you think they could add it to their budgets and get the money from the county or the state you are mistaken.

The answer would be that the employees would have to fund it. If the TPD retirement fund is a good example the employee contribution would be much higher than what the state proposes to take for the Florida Retirement System.

I don't have a problem with employee contributions. I have been in retirement systems with employee contributions. What I have a problem with is raising the retirement age and lowering the percentage of credit per year for time worked. This is entirely inappropriate for a law enforcement career.

Twenty years for qualifying for retirement regardless of age and other variations of age and time of service should be worked out. Three percent credit per year would be preferable, but I could live with 2.5%.

There hasn't been much talk about a mandatory retirement age. Any thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by Musings
    I still do not know why the Florida Sheriffs can not get together and start a new pension fund for employees hired after July 1. The fund could be set up through FSA. You set vesting at 10 years and continue with 25/55 at 3%. It would then be 10 years before any money would be drawn.

It would also send a nice message to the State that they are making a huge mistake.
    I don't see how the state would feel they had made a mistake. They would actually benefit because they would be off the hook for administering the retirement system for employees covered by the sheriffs.

Other than that, it sounds good. EXCEPT: HOW WOULD THE FSA FUND IT? If you think they could add it to their budgets and get the money from the county or the state you are mistaken.

The answer would be that the employees would have to fund it. If the TPD retirement fund is a good example the employee contribution would be much higher than what the state proposes to take for the Florida Retirement System.

I don't have a problem with employee contributions. I have been in retirement systems with employee contributions. What I have a problem with is raising the retirement age and lowering the percentage of credit per year for time worked. This is entirely inappropriate for a law enforcement career.

Twenty years for qualifying for retirement regardless of age and other variations of age and time of service should be worked out. Three percent credit per year would be preferable, but I could live with 2.5%.

There hasn't been much talk about a mandatory retirement age. Any thoughts?

Currently the Sheriff, via the county, funds your retirement. He makes the payments to FRS.

Thus the Sheriff could ask the county to continue with the funding through his budget. The Sheriff would then send the payments to the FSA. Remember, vesting would now be 10 years and not the current 6 years of service. Thus Sheriffs would have 10 years to build their fund before having to make any payments.

The Sheriffs are going to have to do something. I do not know of any legislation that would include and/or change retirement funds for the cities. Thus many cities will be able to continue retirements plans of 20 or 25 years and out and DROP, while the Sheriffs sticking with FRS will only be able to offer 30 years amd no DROP. I do think the Sheriffs are going to have a major problem trying to recruit the professional law enforcement recruit, and thus will have to lower their standards. I do not think this is something our Sheriff will want to do.

what is it you guys do not understand about this...the county/state get to cut their budget by 5% overnight when this passes....they do to care about you plain ans simple

The Sheriffs are going to have to do something. I do not know of any legislation that would include and/or change retirement funds for the cities. Thus many cities will be able to continue retirements plans of 20 or 25 years and out and DROP, while the Sheriffs sticking with FRS will only be able to offer 30 years amd no DROP. I do think the Sheriffs are going to have a major problem trying to recruit the professional law enforcement recruit, and thus will have to lower their standards. I do not think this is something our Sheriff will want to do.
    Very true A.J. What will the Sheriff's do indeed? That is the question. The cities and municipalities that have their own retirement system will become the green pastures that every new and highly qualified new applicant will flock too. Can ya blame em? It's really a no brainer for someone wanting to become a LEO. Better pay, benefits and 20 years retirement over reduced pay and reduced benefits for 30 years. The county / state law enforcement and corrections departments will get the left overs that the cities rejected for one reason or another. I tell ya what. If I wasn't past the mid point to retirement in the FRS and a little younger I would be putting in applications at some of the local cities and municipalities first thing Monday morning.

[quote=The Nitely Blog]
    Quote Originally Posted by "Average Joe":q96ldpnu
    Very true A.J. What will the Sheriff's do indeed? That is the question. The cities and municipalities that have their own retirement system will become the green pastures that every new and highly qualified new applicant will flock too. Can ya blame em? It's really a no brainer for someone wanting to become a LEO. Better pay, benefits and 20 years retirement over reduced pay and reduced benefits for 30 years. The county / state law enforcement and corrections departments will get the left overs that the cities rejected for one reason or another. I tell ya what. If I wasn't past the mid point to retirement in the FRS and a little younger I would be putting in applications at some of the local cities and municipalities first thing Monday morning.[/quote:q96ldpnu]

Already know of 2 deps with less than 4 yrs on that are on my squad who both have employment applications in at TPD. Another one on my squad has a application in at a PD in Virginia. So thats 3 out of the 13 on my squad that I personally know have apps out elsewhere and there may be others on my squad as well. All of them cite the uncertainty & apparent doom of the state FRS & a general dislike for some things at HCSO as the reasons they are desperately trying to leave. I too cannot blame them a bit.

[quote=The Nitely Blog]
    Quote Originally Posted by "Average Joe":335ds5ja
    Very true A.J. What will the Sheriff's do indeed? That is the question. The cities and municipalities that have their own retirement system will become the green pastures that every new and highly qualified new applicant will flock too. Can ya blame em? It's really a no brainer for someone wanting to become a LEO. Better pay, benefits and 20 years retirement over reduced pay and reduced benefits for 30 years. The county / state law enforcement and corrections departments will get the left overs that the cities rejected for one reason or another. I tell ya what. If I wasn't past the mid point to retirement in the FRS and a little younger I would be putting in applications at some of the local cities and municipalities first thing Monday morning.[/quote:335ds5ja]

5 from my platoon have left since January for these same reasons...most of whom had 8+ years on. They are already gone.

The 30 years on duty/60 years of age retirement part of HB 1405 only applies to new hires after July 1st, 2011. It does not apply to current employees. The only parts pertinent to current employees are the 3% contribution and the end of DROP entry by July 1st, 2011.

Quote Originally Posted by Guest
    The 30 years on duty/60 years of age retirement part of HB 1405 only applies to new hires after July 1st, 2011. It does not apply to current employees. The only parts pertinent to current employees are the 3% contribution and the end of DROP entry by July 1st, 2011.

And those are the straws that broke the camel's back.

My point exactly. July 1st is just around the corner a little more than 3 months away. Lets see. If I'm a potential LEO applicant just out of the military or college and I'm looking to go to work somewhere which place would I choose. The place where I can retire in 20 years with better pay and benefits or the place where I could retire in 30 years with decreased pay and benefits. Seems like an easy decision to me.

Quote Originally Posted by The Nitely Blog
    My point exactly. July 1st is just around the corner a little more than 3 months away. Lets see. If I'm a potential LEO applicant just out of the military or college and I'm looking to go to work somewhere which place would I choose. The place where I can retire in 20 years with better pay and benefits or the place where I could retire in 30 years with decreased pay and benefits. Seems like an easy decision to me.
    You know what is the most IRONIC thing of all about this? It is that this current command staff has treated its veteran deputies like SH#T for a long time now and soon they will find out just how badly these veteran deputies are going to be needed. Once all these new FRS & DROP changes go into effect after July 1st, 2011, GOODLUCK finding any qualified applicants that will want to work at HCSO when they can go elsewhere for twice the benefits....not to mention being treated better.

Who in their right mind would want to begin working at HCSO, when they will have to work until they are 60 years old or have put 30 years in! Are you KIDDING ME! This is on top of losing the chance to invest in the current FRS system and being forced to start their own 401K plan...LMAO....and for what? To be ridiculed and micromanaged at every turn and get thrown under the bus the moment something you did is not seen as politically correct by this administration and this judgemental society. Once you put that pretty bright white shirt on, you have become a TARGET by a new generation that hates authority and feels they should be able to do anything they want, whenever they want. Sounds just like some at the top of HCSO doesn't it, as well as our wonderful new Governor, Rick Scott.

Just like what is already occurring at HCSO......some may take a job here because the job market is poor, but as soon as this economy improves, like it always does, they will be gone. Look at how many Deputies currently have applications out trying to go elsewhere. HCSO will become a training agency for Leo's to get certified and then run as quick as they can to another agency or profession. How can you blame them when they can go to other agencies, make more money and retire 10 years earlier with more money?

So now the office will have disgruntled rookies and disgruntled veterans. Great job HCSO....real smart having treated your vets like SH#T!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12