Leadership

Thread: Leadership

Leadership

A leader is not measured by the number of his soldiers willing to take a bullet for him, but by the number of soldiers he is willing to take a bullet for.

Anonymous Military Quote

Re: Leadership

I reckin' that means where f%$ked around here then.

Colonel Brown recently forwarded a article via Email about the "Traits of a GOOD SUPERVISOR/LEADER. It was sent to all the Majors & Captains, asking that they then forward it to all of their Cpls & Sgts. It was a GREAT article, which was well written and contained desperate advice for most of the supervisors at HCSO. It dealt with the logic that Leaders need to PUT THEIR PEOPLE FIRST, ABOVE THEIR OWN PERSONAL PROBLEMS & NEEDS.

The article went on to point out that a good leader understands his or her responsibilty to their people, where they need to be well aware that it is up to them to make sure that their people succeed. It also pointed out the extreme importance of good leaders helping their people to obtain their next goals. This was VERY REFRESHING TO READ, since the current mentality of the overwhelming majority of supervisors at HCSO is to do nothing and pass this responsibilty directly back onto their people, with the usual advice of telling them they need to start "playing the game of politics" and to "go talk to so & so". Sometimes they fail to even acknowledge your question and immediately try and change the subject.

It's as if current supervisors at HCSO don't want to do anything that has their name tied to it, for fear that somebody above them will not approve. Currently, there seems to be a great deal more of concern for a supervisors own upward movement & reputation as a "YES" person, then to go out of their way and take action on the behalf of a subordinate.

On their behalf, It is well understood by most that certain elements of the current Administration are very difficult to work with and that the opinions, suggestions & advice of line level supervisors is often disregarded when it comes time for transfers and promotions etc. Still, this should not keep a good leader/supervisor from performing their duties on behalf of their troops.

"...a good leader understands his or her responsibilty to their people, where they need to be well aware that it is up to them to make sure that their people succeed."

Where's the "ROLLING ON THE FLOOR LAUGHING" smilie at?

My supervisors seem to be under the impression that it is up to them to make sure all/most of their subordinates don't go anywhere!

No one is perfect, and my supervisors constantly remind we are not.

They don't control my happiness, and that eats them up. Too bad Sarge! :devil:

A leader does not tell his people that no one can have a holiday off, and then take that day off himself. When an entire squad is working overtime, a leader does not tell them to find another supervisor to edit reports because he does not want to stay, right Gary????

I know a particular sgt that has his people battered on duty and when they go to charge the guy the sgt says naa unless your bleeding out were not going to charge the guy with that pettyness. Then they wonder why assaults on cops is up drastically. You batter one of us in any way to then charge the guy and stop worrying about the sao. That is another example of things a sup needs to do to show support.