Rick Scott Insurance Proposal - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: Rick Scott Insurance Proposal

Manipulation of data at its very best for political gain!

http://www.floridatoday.com/article/CD/ ... nav%7Chead

Quote Originally Posted by quest
    Report this postReply with quoteRe: Rick Scott Insurance Proposal
    by Guest 10-24 on 03/26/11 17:12:43

The state is in deep financial trouble people. Your duties can be done by other agencies and are very minor in nature. To have special police in state parks is a nice thing, but not at all a must have. Your agency has been severely overstating your importance and your stats. Those of us that know the truth realize your administrators pushed for ANY stats not for you but for their own existance. A few of your agents do good work but most do very little other than minor work that our county could do. Your patrol does car burglaries but we handle the more important stuff and that is a fact. Maybe you will last a bit longer but sooner or later the gov will get serious about cutting the fat and dissolve the dep leo dept. Can't see why most of you can't be picked up by other stae agencies that have legitimate missions. Seems like your administrators in Tallahassee lack leadership.

OUCH!!!
    First, I doubt you know the "truth". The truth is, you don't know what our duties are. The deputies in my area are very happy that I am working in the parks, particularly when they are 10 miles away and there is a 911 call. All agencies are feeling the squeeze, city, county, and state. Many police depts and sheriffs offices have had to disband special units just to ensure there are enough leos on the street to handle calls. Do you honestly think they want to take on the burden of ensuring that there is a deputy or officer assigned to the parks when they had to disband the traffic unit or SRT? Remember, the state is not going to give the counties or cities any additional money to cover these areas. Another thing to think about is that most state agencies, particularly DEP, is run on a shoestring. They are far more fiscally responsible than most police depts or sheriffs offices. DEP has less than 90 sworn officers, approx 75-80 of them are making less than $35,000.00 after 5 years. The typical Police Officer or Sheriff Deputy is making $40-45,000.00 or more by then. Just like any police department or Sheriffs office, we have our own mission. Our daily mission includes high visibility patrols in order to disuade activities such as burglaries, theft, poaching, assault, etc. Our mission includes first responder for disasters. I have heard the bs that the agencies in the affected area could handle this as well. That is true to a degree, but all you have to do is watch the tv and see the disasters that have occurred over the past year that overwhelmed the officers in the area. Don't forget that many leos in the new orleans area miami area deserted their jobs after the katrina and andrew disasters in order to take care of their families. We are there to assist them. Another thing we do is assist state and local agencies. We have been on call everytime an officer has been killed and the suspect was not initially located. I have stopped and assisted on numerous crashes and disabled vehicles, I have checked on countless leos on traffic stops to ensure their safety. I have made a number of traffic stops on people driving recklessly. If you are a real leo, and I doubt it, you would understand the above.

My friend what is a real leo? It does not take a real leo to understand from your description that the duties you listed are very minor security like and not necessary at a time of severe budget issues. I understand you and others have mouths to feed as I.You need to understand your duties can and by law must be handled by the counties across the state.You need to understand that the $$$ you use to operate the dep dle can be better used elsewhere at this time in history.A le agency that only works day shifts is not a le agency that we can not live without.No brag just fact but I answer more calls in a week than you probably do in 2 months.Any increase in calls at your parks would not stress any county le agency-one or two added calls a day is nothing and I would guess you don't get more than that.

Quote Originally Posted by Guest 10-24
    My friend what is a real leo? It does not take a real leo to understand from your description that the duties you listed are very minor security like and not necessary at a time of severe budget issues. I understand you and others have mouths to feed as I.You need to understand your duties can and by law must be handled by the counties across the state.You need to understand that the $$$ you use to operate the dep dle can be better used elsewhere at this time in history.A le agency that only works day shifts is not a le agency that we can not live without.No brag just fact but I answer more calls in a week than you probably do in 2 months.Any increase in calls at your parks would not stress any county le agency-one or two added calls a day is nothing and I would guess you don't get more than that.
    Obviously your attention wavered after the first sentence. Please reread the entire paragraph. Regarding your statements, I have worked on 3 different city and county agencies prior to this for a combined 22 years. I know what your duties are and what your typical day is. Truth be told, your agency could save money by laying you and a number of other officers off. If you want to go further, the duties that you perform could in truth be performed more "economically" by the state. As stated earlier, state officers are paid less than most police and deputies. With that said, economics are not always the deciding factor. Safety is a big factor, most police and deputies rarely enter a park unless responding to a call or assigned. That leaves many people vulnerable. We have had issues such as theft, burglaries, assaults, gang members, drunks, people on drugs, people driving recklessly, etc. When people go to a park, they want to be safe. In most cases, the parks are far from cities and in the middle of nowhere. This requires a high visibility presence (if you are a leo, you would be aware of what this entails). It would cost the police or sheriffs office more money to hire additional personnel to cover the parks than what is already being paid. It sounds like you are either not a LEO or so far down the chain that you aren't aware that the vast majority of sheriffs and chiefs don't want the parks. It would be an unfunded mandate.

I did read your post many times trying to make some sense of it. What I took away from it was that you don't do much at work because there it not much to do. Is the dep a professional back up other agencies -agency? I'm sure you just stage, train and retrain for natural disasters 24-7...If you think anyone buys your explanation about justifying your agencys existance you are mistaken.Since you are more focused on if I am a leo than the actual issue-I have a question for you-which one of the 3 city-county agencies did you most enjoy working for-animal control-code enforcement or water treatment?

I did read your post many times trying to make some sense of it. What I took away from it was that you don't do much at work because there it not much to do. Is the dep a professional back up other agencies -agency? I'm sure you just stage, train and retrain for natural disasters 24-7...If you think anyone buys your explanation about justifying your agencys existance you are mistaken.Since you are more focused on if I am a leo than the actual issue-I have a question for you-which one of the 3 city-county agencies did you most enjoy working for-animal control-code enforcement or water treatment?
    It was Parking Enforcement, smart a$$.

You answered my question with your evasive reply. You are a wannabe who either was never a leo or couldn't hack it. Go away

Quote Originally Posted by Guest
    Obviously your attention wavered after the first sentence. Please reread the entire paragraph. Regarding your statements, I have worked on 3 different city and county agencies prior to this for a combined 22 years. I know what your duties are and what your typical day is. Truth be told, your agency could save money by laying you and a number of other officers off. If you want to go further, the duties that you perform could in truth be performed more "economically" by the state. As stated earlier, state officers are paid less than most police and deputies. With that said, economics are not always the deciding factor. Safety is a big factor, most police and deputies rarely enter a park unless responding to a call or assigned. That leaves many people vulnerable. We have had issues such as theft, burglaries, assaults, gang members, drunks, people on drugs, people driving recklessly, etc. When people go to a park, they want to be safe. In most cases, the parks are far from cities and in the middle of nowhere. This requires a high visibility presence (if you are a leo, you would be aware of what this entails). It would cost the police or sheriffs office more money to hire additional personnel to cover the parks than what is already being paid. It sounds like you are either not a LEO or so far down the chain that you aren't aware that the vast majority of sheriffs and chiefs don't want the parks. It would be an unfunded mandate.

I agree with you. However, you DEP officers screwed yourselves by always leaving the parks. Too many times the only DEP officer assigned to the park is out in the city playing city cop or highway patrol, when they should be in the park making sure people are safe.

I agree with you. However, you DEP officers screwed yourselves by always leaving the parks. Too many times the only DEP officer assigned to the park is out in the city playing city cop or highway patrol, when they should be in the park making sure people are safe.
    It is not true that officers are deliberately leaving parks to work in cities or on highways. DEP officers have the authority to make arrests or write citations anywhere in the state, but they focus their efforts in the park. At the same time, as leos, we do not ignore dangerous drivers when we are going to and from work. I have stopped to assist citizens at accidents, disabled vehicles, etc. I have also made traffic stops on vehicles that have passed me doing over 90 mph in a 70 mph zone. Their response was they didn't think we had the authority to stop them. By ignoring this, we reinforce negative attitudes in the publics mind. Traffic stops is not the issue, if it was, most police and sheriffs depts would be in trouble. If you don't see a police officer in a park, it may be that there are less than 80 officers and corporals covering over 160 parks throughout the state. This is not counting the trailways. I cover 4 parks in two counties, I try to cover them as best I can, but I can't be everywhere at once.

It is not true that officers are deliberately leaving parks to work in cities or on highways. DEP officers have the authority to make arrests or write citations anywhere in the state, but they focus their efforts in the park. At the same time, as leos, we do not ignore dangerous drivers when we are going to and from work. I have stopped to assist citizens at accidents, disabled vehicles, etc. I have also made traffic stops on vehicles that have passed me doing over 90 mph in a 70 mph zone. Their response was they didn't think we had the authority to stop them. By ignoring this, we reinforce negative attitudes in the publics mind. Traffic stops is not the issue, if it was, most police and sheriffs depts would be in trouble. If you don't see a police officer in a park, it may be that there are less than 80 officers and corporals covering over 160 parks throughout the state. This is not counting the trailways. I cover 4 parks in two counties, I try to cover them as best I can, but I can't be everywhere at once.
    The only place where working out of the parks is a problem is in the SE District where the Captain ordered his officers out of the parks to "get activity". There is plenty in the parks if you know how to look for it. The rest of the districts have no problem finding crime in the parks.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast