USSS Passed Over?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

USSS Passed Over?

For some time, the Secret Service was the lead agency in coordinating security at national security events, e. g. the Super Bowl. Today, television news is awash with stories that would seem to indicate that security for the upcoming Super Bowl is being shared by the FBI and ATF with no mention of the USSS. Has Big Sis given up her turf to Holder and his boys on this one?

Re: USSS Passed Over?

Quote Originally Posted by worfusa2008
    For some time, the Secret Service was the lead agency in coordinating security at national security events, e. g. the Super Bowl. Today, television news is awash with stories that would seem to indicate that security for the upcoming Super Bowl is being shared by the FBI and ATF with no mention of the USSS. Has Big Sis given up her turf to Holder and his boys on this one?
    Since my first counterfeiting plant seizure in 1965 I have been seeing the FBI get credit for things the Service did. Some of my friends still introduce me as a retired FBI agent.

Alas....................

:roll:

Quote Originally Posted by Retired FBI?
    Since my first counterfeiting plant seizure in 1965 I have been seeing the FBI get credit for things the Service did. Some of my friends still introduce me as a retired FBI agent.

Alas....................

:roll:
    Since Homeland Security's top official Janet Napolitano just toured the stadium and commented on the security, my guess would be that the USSS is still the lead agency involved in the security arrangements with the other agencies contributing to a lesser degree. However as all former and presumably present agents of the USSS know, the media thinks everyone in the security field works for the FBI, Perhaps that is a good thing let them be blamed for any problems arising.

Unfortunately, the USSS was passed over for the lead on Superbowl security. As a current agent I can tell you that, sadly, the USSS is being passed over for a lot of things in DHS, and we really don't have anyone to blame except ourselves. When DHS was created post 9-11, the USSS was brought into the fold to give DHS legitimacy since only us and Coast Guard were being brought over intact, and other agencies were mashed together. The USSS was asked to take the lead on several issues ranging from cyber crime to nuclear security. However, USSS management at the time (some of whom are still around) said that the agency is strictly executive protection and didn't want to branch out. Consequently, other DHS components like ICE and CBP were given responsibilities the USSS declined. There's a National Geographic channel documentary on last year's Superbowl that shows the various DHS components training and getting ready fro stdium security...except the Secret Service. There was a big meeting concerning stadium security last year that involved the FBI, ATF, ICE, CBP, etc. that the USSS was left out of, some would say on purpose. Sad, but true. USSS management dropped the ball on this one and we will never get it back.

The Secret Service has no business in Cyber Security, Nuke Security, Super Bowl Security, or any other "security" outside its core mission of executive protection and combating counterfeiters. I am glad to see that cooler heads in HQ have prevailed against Big Sis and her desire to expand her empire on the backs of the street humps.

I'm thrilled the USSS is combating crimes other than "counterfeiting" and doing "STUFF" other than "executive protection".....
    Special Agents are the cream of the crop with actual brains in their heads: very intellectual and smart! Why on God's earth would anyone NOT want them to progress forward and help combat crimes that are taking America into the next century, esp. "CYBER-CRIME"? Every LEO agency has to deal with these types whether they like it or not. What was the old saying, " where there's drugs, there's guns, and where there's guns, there's surely counterfeit money...." Crime(s) are not mutually exclusive.

Mom, I respectfully disagree. For the last 10 of my 27+ years I watched the service try to be all things to all people and all the while hoping for money to hire new Agents to work bank fraud and credit card fraud. Well, we got more Agents but no more money. As a result, the Service was stretched thin to the breaking point and stress in the workplace (not HQ) reached an intolerable level. The excuse from The Suits in HQ was that if we don't do it, the FBI will.The FBI didn't want bank fraud and credit card fraud then and they don't want it now. Why do you think that the Service was approached to take on new responsibilities and jurisdictions (cyber security and nuke security) ? Maybe no one else wanted it. Maybe because the Service has been easily seduced in the past with promises of more money and manpower, which the powers had no intention for providing. For once, I applaud HQ for seeing through the con.

Protective travel is up to 75% for the Field Agents and the Suits are still extorting the field humps to give them bigger numbers every year. The Service needs to return to its roots as a lean, mean fighting machine. The only people that want the Service to work fraud is the banks, credit card industry, cell phone industry and other commercial "too big to fail" industries.

Mom, I respectfully disagree. For the last 10 of my 27+ years I watched the service try to be all things to all people and all the while hoping for money to hire new Agents to work bank fraud and credit card fraud. Well, we got more Agents but no more money. As a result, the Service was stretched thin to the breaking point and stress in the workplace (not HQ) reached an intolerable level. The excuse from The Suits in HQ was that if we don't do it, the FBI will.The FBI didn't want bank fraud and credit card fraud then and they don't want it now. Why do you think that the Service was approached to take on new responsibilities and jurisdictions (cyber security and nuke security) ? Maybe no one else wanted it. Maybe because the Service has been easily seduced in the past with promises of more money and manpower, which the powers had no intention for providing. For once, I applaud HQ for seeing through the con.

Protective travel is up to 75% for the Field Agents and the Suits are still extorting the field humps to give them bigger numbers every year. The Service needs to return to its roots as a lean, mean fighting machine. The only people that want the Service to work fraud is the banks, credit card industry, cell phone industry and other commercial "too big to fail" industries.
    Hey Worf, not for nothing, but as a current agent I can tell you that no one cares about counterfeit anymore. I work in a large field office and there's only been a handful of federal counterfeit cases prosecuted by a US Attorney's office in the last several years. You could catch a guy passing $2 million in counterfeit...they don't care. However, if you walk in with a huge credit card fraud or bank fraud (especially mortgage fraud these days) you will grab the AUSA's ear. Otherwise, you just get a big fat declination. The times are changing and if the USSS doesn't change with it, they will go the way of Customs - merged into a huge conglomerate of an agency.

Quote Originally Posted by Guest
    The times are changing and if the USSS doesn't change with it, they will go the way of Customs - merged into a huge conglomerate of an agency.
    Um.............

I think you are already there. It is called the Department of Homeland Security.

The DHS web page lists it's "featured components" as:

* Customs and Border Protection (CBP)
    * Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA)
    * Transportation Security Administration (TSA)
    * U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS)
    * U.S. Coast Guard
    * U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE)
    * U.S. Secret Service
    * Office of Inspector General

Sure looks like a huge conglomerate to me.

The Service was ostensibly brought over to DHS to give the fledgling agency credibility in its fight against terrorism. I believe that the credibility of the Service has suffered as a result. While not engaged in its protective role, the Service must find something to do. So, its Agents continue to work as lackeys for the banks and credit card industry while the FBI combats terrorism. The Bosses continue to run with blinders on, hoping to make it to retirement and a cushy, do-nothing supervisory job in TSA or the banking and credit card industry. The days of the Service having a dual role as part-time financial fraud investigators and part-time protectors of Presidents, et al. are fast approaching an end. Eventually, it's going to have to be one or the other. The problem with the Service divesting itself of either role is that there is no longer any other agency that has expressed an interest in either one. While it is generally acknowledged by those who follow such things that the Service belongs back in Treasury, Big Sister is not about to relinquish part of her empire. So, that's that. I believe that if things continue as they are, the Service will eventually become a minor bit player in DHS. It's a shame. To quote Victor McLaughlin in the movie She Wore A Yellow Ribbon, "The good old days are gone forever".

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast