Union vote for the good?

Union vote for the good?

So the vote is in and the masses have spoken. 44 in favor and 35 against. Not a very wide margin. I still cannot be convinced that IUPA is the savior of us all. They have no real power. You cannot strike, you cannot influence any other union to support you with a walk-out, and you cant force the county commission to submit to your demands. The demands you make will be laughed at by MS and staff. While you think your are righting wrongs, protecting your interests, or whatever personal agenda you may have, remember that 35 of your fellow sergeants want no part of this. They have careers and families too. I think you are in this for YOUR interests, not anyone else. All you have done is divide the house even further.
    I hate to say this, but I am counting the days until I can pull the pin and get away from all the back-biting, in-fighting, back room politics, and good old boy arrangements. If IUPA is so happy they won, why are the dues to be paid via bank draft and not payroll deduction? The info I got said, “So the Sheriff wont know you’re a member until you need representation.” I thought you would be shouting from the rooftops. Doesn’t sound like the “Gang of 44” are very proud of their accomplishment. Sounds more like they are skulking in the shadows. “Behold, I possess the all powerful IUPA talisman, the dark forces of MS cannot harm me.” Yeah, Superman was bullet proof, until somebody showed up with Kryptonite.

Re: Union vote for the good?

All the back-biting, in-fighting, back room politics, and good old boy arrangements starts from the TOP down. 44 stood up, united and took a front line stand.

Maybe you should reflect on what United stands for! LCSO can be a much better place if we stood together!

We need to take care of ourselfs because no one at the TOP is doing it!

Guest 1, you're a *****!

No, Guest 1 is not an a..! He actually brings up some good points that you have to at least consider. I totally agree (in theory) with what the IUPA argues for. This agency has a deep-rooted history of doing every single thing that you find on the hundreds of posts on this forum. Someone from the outside reading this stuff must certainly think we're exaggerating, but trust me...all true. No wonder we all hate each other & are so divided - that's what we've been born and raised to do. That's actually how the powers-to-be keep doing their deeds - by keeping us divided and against each other.

Although I hope the IUPA can pull this off,I really don't know how they're going to do it. You're either very new to this agency, or very dillusional if you don't think for a second that the rank of Sergeant will not be very popular. You're in for a rough ride brothers! To make it worse, you're a pretty small group so it will make for easy targets as compared to the whole agency going union for example. My prediction is the 35 that voted against will come out of hiding and bail out. I bet you see some transfers, promotions or voluntary demotions soon.

Here's hoping!

The "guests" against the IUPA involvement are totally uneducated to the entire process of unionization. I highly suggest you get some facts prior to coming on here spewing your delusional jargon in an attempt to scare the sergeants or deputies who are currently campaigning. Just so you know, there are laws in place on the state level and federal level that protect the sergeants who are organized from unfair labor practices by the sheriff. IF the sheriff were to make any attempt to exclude the sergeants from certain benefits, salary increases, etc, it is an unfair labor practice. This is not IUPA's first day on the job. You don't think any and all contingencies will be written in a contract that will cover this? Stop sniffing what you're shoveling because any and all unions write a contract that will state if a nonunion employee or group gets x% of raise above what is in the contract for the union employee, then the union employee gets the greater of the two. Do some research, I did and every contract I read is written this way, whether it was IUPA, PBA or FOP to protect the members' interests.

If the sheriff chooses to pick on the sergeants and include them in some kind of crude activity, who knows what, that would also be an unfair labor practice. These laws are in place for a reason. You don't think some wise guy tried something in the past and it didn't fly then and won't fly now. This is all the more reasons why there needs to be total unionization within the agency to protect the rights of the employees from the sheriff and administrations personal interests. The sheriff has done NOTHING for the deputies or sergeants and the time has come and gone for him to do something. Now, the sergeants and deputies must take it upon themselves to do what is morally and ethically right to protect their benefits, salaries, and themselves from unfair disciplinary practices and biased promotions. A board has not been selected yet and a contract has not even been attempted to have been written yet. Give them a chance to do their jobs.

I was union before I came to this agency and was supprised to see all of the Sheriff's Sheep following him so blindly. The Oh Daddy please take care of us mind set is a JOKE! Wake up!!! This is way bigger then any Sheriff here now or later! This is about securing or future. This Sheriff is not soley to blame for this, he is not the only one who brought it to light, but he is the one who just keeps a spot light on it all the time by all the antics and unfair practices. It's not like this same crap did not exist prior to this Sheriff and will continue if things do not change. Shoap did the same thing and most screamed Mike save us, and so he was elected.

So now what.... Do we all sit and wait to be slaughtered for another 2 years??? Oh maybe another saviour will come and help us....??? :roll:

Or lets stand up, UNITE and secure our future from now on! Just remember this Sheriff could be better then the next one and where will that leave us? Also MS is not the only one who can take away from us, RS (Rick Scott) can also and is trying to reach into our pockets and future! We need a binding Contract!!! This is not for just for the Deputies, this is also for Lieutenants and Captians. The Sergeants already stood up and took a stand ...... lets all join them and be a united front to WIN the war on our future!! Let NO single man or women take anything away from us when we risk our LIVES every day!!!

I see a lot of assumptions. Assuming the Sherriff accepts the contract demands. Assuming he does not, and the commissioners accept the demands. Assuming it is not tied up in expensive litigations in Tallahassee. The only guarantee I have seen is it will cost $40.00 a month. No one has explained to me just exactly how they will guarantee a contract is accepted. Please enlighten me on how this is accomplished. I am open to meaningful discussions. This childish banter and name calling just re-enforces my attitude that people have axes to grind (admittedly legitimate) and are seeking revenge at anyones cost. Poor decisions beget poor results.

Quote Originally Posted by Guest 1
    I see a lot of assumptions. Assuming the Sherriff accepts the contract demands. Assuming he does not, and the commissioners accept the demands. Assuming it is not tied up in expensive litigations in Tallahassee. The only guarantee I have seen is it will cost $40.00 a month. No one has explained to me just exactly how they will guarantee a contract is accepted. Please enlighten me on how this is accomplished. I am open to meaningful discussions. This childish banter and name calling just re-enforces my attitude that people have axes to grind (admittedly legitimate) and are seeking revenge at anyones cost. Poor decisions beget poor results.
    I think it's time to do your own work. Research and get your own answers instead of asking someone to tell you what to think or do.

Be an enlightened person with knowledge and an opinion you gained on your own. Don't be a sheep following everyone else because someone said to follow.

Unions come with a price and a benefit. You need to decide if it's good for you and your brothers and sisters on the job.

I proceeded you, I wish I had the assistance of IUPA and I might not be getting "Food Stamps" now after an, "In the Line of Duty Injury".

You make your choice. Many think they are "Super Man" until they are faced with the wolves that will have no mercy if you no good to them.

Quote Originally Posted by Gu[size=85
    [/size]est 1]I see a lot of assumptions. Assuming the Sherriff accepts the contract demands. Assuming he does not, and the commissioners accept the demands. Assuming it is not tied up in expensive litigations in Tallahassee. The only guarantee I have seen is it will cost $40.00 a month. No one has explained to me just exactly how they will guarantee a contract is accepted. Please enlighten me on how this is accomplished. I am open to meaningful discussions. This childish banter and name calling just re-enforces my attitude that people have axes to grind (admittedly legitimate) and are seeking revenge at anyones cost. Poor decisions beget poor results.

At the VERY least a union gets you a lawyer so you don't lose everything you own (including your freedom). If the TSHTF tomorrow would you have 5k-10K for a good lawyer? If the admin wanted you fired tomorrow would you have the money for representation? If MS decided tomorrow that you have to pay for your health insurance, could you fight it in any way?

People that say a raise is not going to happen with a union, may be correct, but isn't it worth trying? Wouldn't you like the option of fighting for it when the economy gets better? How may years have you been here, 2,6,8 10 years? What positive thing has happened during this time to increase your quality of life? Any substantial raise? Stress level go down? Insurance get better? Admin got more reliable? Does the admin make you feel like they could toss you aside without a thought?

If all else fails vote no for the union and as MS says YOUR LUCKY TO HAVE A JOB!!!!