Two Miami-Dade police officers killed in attempted arrest
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Administrator LEO Affairs Chief MOD 1's Avatar

Post Two Miami-Dade police officers killed in attempted arrest

from MiamiHerald.com

Two Miami-Dade police officers were shot and killed in a gunfight with suspects as they tried to serve a warrant for a violent fugitive in a Miami home Thursday morning. It was the first time in decades two law enforcement officers were killed in the line of duty.

The dead male officer was identified as Roger Castillo. The female officer was identified as Amanda Haworth.

One suspect, identified as Johnny Sims, 23, was killed in the gun battle. Another suspect is in custody, said Miami-Dade Mayor Carlos Alvarez.

Investigators say they're not looking for any other suspects.

``We're asking for the community's prayers,'' said Commander Nancy Perez, who broke down when she announced the news shortly before 12:30 p.m. Thursday.

The county detectives were attempting to arrest Sims on a murder warrant for a slaying that happened in October in Miami, according to multiple law enforcement sources.

Sims, according to state corrections records, was released from prison in September on probation. He had been imprisoned for armed robbery and selling cocaine.

Details were sketchy, but this much was known: The shooting erupted between a suspect and police at a home near Northwest Seventh Avenue and 69th Street.

Castillo died at the scene. The female officer died in surgery at Jackson Memorial Hospital.

Authorities shut down traffic on Interstate 95, as several other suspects reportedly fled the scene. Aerial helicopter shots showed two bodies covered, one under a blue tarp and another under a yellow tarp. Miami Fire Rescue transported two people about 11:20 a.m.

A multiagency task force was working in the area serving a warrant for the city of Miami. At a County Commission meeting early Thursday, Commission Chair Joe Martinez announced that the county had lost one officer and a second had been airlifted to JMH. Martinez said officers were serving a warrant on ``career criminals'' when the shooting occurred.

Nearby schools were put on lockdown, including Thena Crowder Elementary School, 757 NW 66th St., and Little River Elementary School, 514 NW 77th St.

John Rivera, president of the Miami chapter of the Police Benevolent Association, decried the killings and said citizens should consider the risks police face when they criticize officer salaries.

``Today, our community lost two more heroes,'' Rivera said in a statement. ``Our hearts ache for their families and their loved ones who are dealing with incomprehensible grief, loss and shock. These two officers were loving family members, friends and our neighbors. They wanted to serve their community and make it a better, safer place for all of us.''

To critics of police salaries, Rivera said, ``I ask this: `How much is a life worth? Would you tell the families of those officers killed today that they were paid too much for what they gave to this community?' I think not.''

Read more: http://www.miamiherald.com/2011/01/20/2 ... z1BboxoH9q
    Mod 1

http://WWW.LEOAFFAIRS.COM

Terms Of Use

The real reason that we can't have the Ten Commandments posted in a
    courthouse is this: You cannot post "Thou Shalt Not Steal," "Thou Shalt
    Not Commit Adultery," and "Thou Shall Not Lie" in a building full of
    lawyers, judges and politicians...It creates a hostile work environment.

Re: Two Miami-Dade police officers killed in attempted arrest

Code:
    To critics of police salaries, Rivera said, ``I ask this: `How much is a life worth? Would you tell the families of those officers killed today that they were paid too much for what they gave to this community?' I think not.''
    Goes for their retirement pensions too. Can't believe the citizens of this state, much less the legislators and governor, want to reduce/replace pension monies that go to these officers' families or any other officers' families when they are killed in the line of duty.

I wonder if Rick Scott will attend the funerals?

Quote Originally Posted by Guest
    I would hope he has the decency to NOT show his face at the funerals! This is a private time for Brothers and Sisters, our families and our SUPPORTERS to grieve.....

What did that sorry-arse Miami Mayor and the loud mouthed anti-cop commissioner have to say? You know the two that want to fire the honorable police chief for not being sensitive to the community and for defending police involved shootings. I got your sensitivity right here. Another horrible loss for the police community of south Florida. Rest in Peace and we'll continue to fight the battle in your and many others' memory.

Quote Originally Posted by GUest#whatever
    I would hope he has the decency to NOT show his face at the funerals! This is a private time for Brothers and Sisters, our families and our SUPPORTERS to grieve.....
    Just stop it. He holds the highest elected office in the state government. I would think it disrespectful if HE DID NOT attend. Regardless of politics, two very dedicated LEOs died. This has been a bad few weeks for all LEO's. A Davie officer, a NJ officer was shot and killed during a street stop and a Baltimore Police recruit died after the agility test. Let us be decent and morn respectfully and pray for their families and for all LEO families that are even a little more fearful for us today, they also grieve and worry for all of us. Be safe and stay strong and let's put the pettiness aside, even for a day.

I just got the word that we (FHP) will be helping to cover the road for MDPD during the funeral. We are honored to be able to lend our support during this tragedy. Our thoughts and prayers go out to everyone in the MDPD and their families. I would hope that if anyone finds a way that we may be of further service, please let us know. Our agency was humbled by the support of our fellow L.E.O.'s when Tpr Ambroise lost his life. We are more then happy to step up in any way we can.

[quote=retired_guy]
    Quote Originally Posted by "GUest#whatever":3sd2u4dy
    Just stop it. He holds the highest elected office in the state government. I would think it disrespectful if HE DID NOT attend. Regardless of politics, two very dedicated LEOs died. This has been a bad few weeks for all LEO's. A Davie officer, a NJ officer was shot and killed during a street stop and a Baltimore Police recruit died after the agility test. Let us be decent and morn respectfully and pray for their families and for all LEO families that are even a little more fearful for us today, they also grieve and worry for all of us. Be safe and stay strong and let's put the pettiness aside, even for a day.[/quote:3sd2u4dy]

Ok. Thanks Rick.

I sorry for the officer deaths, but how does a low life get the drop on 4 officers serving a warrant? My GOD bless the officers and may he send that lowlife to hell.

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by ;1603071
    Code:
    Goes for their retirement pensions too. Can't believe the citizens of this state, much less the legislators and governor, want to reduce/replace pension monies that go to these officers' families or any other officers' families when they are killed in the line of duty.
    That money BETTER go to victims of Police Brutality and their attorneys instead!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast