Old School - Page 6
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Old School

Re: Old School

Look no farther than last Wednesday night when Plant City PD was in a pursuit of a sig 100 and the supervisor advised not to get involved. Or Thursday night when TPD was x31 on a sig 100 and asking for help yet we didnt even get a response after several seconds of silence on the radio when asking the shift commander. Sad, we use to be the ones chasing now we wont even help fellow agencies. Embarrassing

Quote Originally Posted by Guest
    Look no farther than last Wednesday night when Plant City PD was in a pursuit of a sig 100 and the supervisor advised not to get involved. Or Thursday night when TPD was x31 on a sig 100 and asking for help yet we didnt even get a response after several seconds of silence on the radio when asking the shift commander. Sad, we use to be the ones chasing now we wont even help fellow agencies. Embarrassing
    If what you have posted here is true then I agree. It is sad. As far as the younger deputies please consider that maybe, just maybe, an older more experienced deputy does have a clue.

I observed a young deputy, a year on the job, do something really stupid a few weeks back while at a scene. Not an officer safety thing mind you but a destroying evidence thing due to a lack of experience and common sence. I called him on it and spoke to him about what he had done. He brushed me off with an "oh well" how dare I say anything to him attitude.

Well, I am extremely disappointed. I dont post a lot on this site, but I would like to say something about this post. I am not a newbie, nor have I been here that long (right at ten years). I was fortunate enough to have no been trained by a bunch of fto's that only have two years on and had three very "old school" veterans that taught me quite a bit. The kind of police work that we SHOULD still be doing today. It is sad that the new recruits trash the vets on this forum. You guys should be looking up to the "old school" guys whether it's a supervisor, deputy or detective. They have something you do not have. Experience. Rookies with no experience come straight out thinking they know it all and that no one better tell them anything because they went through "sot" or have some fancy degree. Doesn't make you a good cop. A good cop knows that constantly learning is a huge part of this job. Learning different tactics and techniques from the different people on your squad. Becoming your own cop after putting it all together in a way that it works for you. Not being a brand new rookie who thinks they know it all. It's a great thing to be in shape and to be able to run and lift and fight. I honestly put a lot of effort into that myself. However, none of that makes you a good cop. Common sense, EXPERIENCE and sound thinking and judgement makes you a great cop. Give me two experienced vets in a fight or gunfight (whatever shape they are in) over four new arrogant recruits any day of the week. I have only met a few that seem nice and like they would be very good deputies. The rest all seem extremely ****y and arrogant. I heard two talking the other day (just out of phase 5) about how they were ready to be out of patrol. Any vet will tell you that 5 years is a point in patrol where you are just getting comfortable handling any call or situation.
    P.S. To the newbies......I know quite a lot of "old farts with injuries" that work here would kick the crap out of you in a fight. If they could catch you

Quote Originally Posted by Wowzers
    Well, I am extremely disappointed. I dont post a lot on this site, but I would like to say something about this post. I am not a newbie, nor have I been here that long (right at ten years). I was fortunate enough to have no been trained by a bunch of fto's that only have two years on and had three very "old school" veterans that taught me quite a bit. The kind of police work that we SHOULD still be doing today. It is sad that the new recruits trash the vets on this forum. You guys should be looking up to the "old school" guys whether it's a supervisor, deputy or detective. They have something you do not have. Experience. Rookies with no experience come straight out thinking they know it all and that no one better tell them anything because they went through "sot" or have some fancy degree. Doesn't make you a good cop. A good cop knows that constantly learning is a huge part of this job. Learning different tactics and techniques from the different people on your squad. Becoming your own cop after putting it all together in a way that it works for you. Not being a brand new rookie who thinks they know it all. It's a great thing to be in shape and to be able to run and lift and fight. I honestly put a lot of effort into that myself. However, none of that makes you a good cop. Common sense, EXPERIENCE and sound thinking and judgement makes you a great cop. Give me two experienced vets in a fight or gunfight (whatever shape they are in) over four new arrogant recruits any day of the week. I have only met a few that seem nice and like they would be very good deputies. The rest all seem extremely ****y and arrogant. I heard two talking the other day (just out of phase 5) about how they were ready to be out of patrol. Any vet will tell you that 5 years is a point in patrol where you are just getting comfortable handling any call or situation.
    P.S. To the newbies......I know quite a lot of "old farts with injuries" that work here would kick the crap out of you in a fight. If they could catch you
    Very well said my friend. I support all levels of deputies at the office, both rookie and veteran. The problem you speak of starts directly at the top at HCSO. With all these new & wonderful policy changes, it has actually become easier for the newer deputies to advance thru the office then the veterans. I fall in between myself, but also agree with you that the current philosophy that starts at about year 2, is that they feel they are way too experienced to remain in patrol. They see there counterparts becoming FTO's at year 2 and think they have mastered all there is to know. There is little time for proactive policing on the street now in some of the districts and there is ABSOLUTELY no encouragement by the command staff or the supervisors on the street to be proactive on crime. If the citizens only knew how little emphasis is put toward being proactive and solving crime at HCSO they would be amazed. Some of us HAVE worked for other agencies and know first hand how lacking HCSO has now become in proactive crime enforcement. There is definately no shortage or decline in crimes being reported. What happens after that is anyones guess. My guess would be some skillful UCR shuffling.

muy bueno

necesidad de comprobar

I have been at HCSO for about 14 years, and I too was trained by seasoned vets who not only taught you the ropes, they kept you from getting killed or fired. The difference to day know it all rookies and lawyers. The old guys said F the lawyers, you will be alive and fight another day, the 2 year wonder FTO's are still embryos and know nothing. Respect your elders who are vet's, not all of them are great but most have forgotten what you will ever know.

What the newbies do not understand and never will is that the old school guys like me( 20 plus years) used to get some respect when we rolled up on a call. Now a days there is no respect for Deputies because we are not allowed to be old school when the situation calls for it. When a suspect needed his ass whipped back in the 1980's he got it whipped and thrown in jail and your supervisor gave you a slap on the back. Now you get written up and suspended ,if not fired. The new breed criminals know this. Thus no respect or fear that there are consequences for thier actions.The old school criminals were a little different . They new the diference. Just my take from an old schooler

Quote Originally Posted by sniper12
    What the newbies do not understand and never will is that the old school guys like me( 20 plus years) used to get some respect when we rolled up on a call. Now a days there is no respect for Deputies because we are not allowed to be old school when the situation calls for it. When a suspect needed his ass whipped back in the 1980's he got it whipped and thrown in jail and your supervisor gave you a slap on the back. Now you get written up and suspended ,if not fired. The new breed criminals know this. Thus no respect or fear that there are consequences for thier actions.The old school criminals were a little different . They new the diference. Just my take from an old schooler
    You about summed it up. It's very sad that loyalty, comraderie and brotherhood have become a thing of the past and a way of life that only the veterans can remember. What exists now out on the street is a dog eat dog mentality and everybody talking crap about each other. If some deputies spent half the effort they use bad mouthing others and sliming their lazy butts out of doing work, they just might understand what it means to stand by each other and work together as a team. Grant it, a big part of the blame starts near the top, where the message being conveyed is anything but. After all, we now even have a SOP that directs us to run and tell on each other. Good cops don't need to be told what to do when someone has truly crossed the line, then again, for some new tenderlings all you have to do is raise your voice to take control of a scene and they think you are some kind of a rogue cop. Ultimately, for the most part new & old have become afraid to actually do their jobs correctly anymore. The bad part of this is that being afraid to take control and timid toward the animals that walk our streets nowadays, will lead to nothing but more officer deaths and injuries. Recent article after article that talks about the rise in officer deaths, mentions the danger of being complacent and overly friendly to the persons we deal with on the street. HCSO needs to STOP being so "officer friendly" driven and wake up to the reality that this will ultimately get a deputy killed.

There is a great deal of truth in what you said.

Quote Originally Posted by Felling lucky punk?
    To top things off, one of our jail deputies, Greg Brown, broke his leg while wrestling with two guys brawling in his jail pod yesterday. He will need surgery to repair the injury. What really set me off was the remarks by Col Previtara, who was boasting that deputy Brown was one of the faster runners in the agencies fitness course? That would be great if he needed to run from these guys I guess! It also showed, once again, that just because you can run fast, like this command staff wants, it does you NO GOOD in a struggle on the street or in the jail! Maybe if deputy Brown had some size to him, he would not have had to break his leg to quell the situation. This is not a knock on Brown, just another of many knocks on this command staffs arrogance about that silly 2.5 mile run course.
    You make a good point about running distances, in preparation for SOT I lost unbelievable amounts of original strength because of the emphasis on running and laughable metabolic conditioning. The agency needs to address this, maybe moving back to entry requirements that have candidates being able to push/pull more than their own body weight. This is much more of a real world life saver for deputies - weighing 140 Lbs and being able to run a good 2.5 mile IMO is not :roll:
    Yes you guys are very well prepared in the event you have a very very long foot pursuit All joking aside, is it a common thing for newer officers to develop hernias? I had one recently and I attribute it to the job/belt etc. It seems like more emphasis on strength as you mentioned should be made.
    MDs are a neccessity, but sometimes it's best to consult a specialized nutritionist as SOME bodybuilding supplements promote muscle tissue expansion by temporary softening/weakening of the muscle and connective tissue. Hernias usually result from separation of the connective tissue which does NOT heal- unlike muscle. Again, consult to develop an optimal and SAFE training regimen-no advantage in shortcuts or over-training in the long run.(No I am not a trainer or nutritionist or affiliated with one, but it's easier to learn from others misfortune than to personally experience the same misfortune.)
    If you already have a hernia, it would be extremely educational to check out "hernia.org" a simple(1st time), single hernia, repair package is 5kusd(depending on rate of exchange) including airfare from boston-london and I believe still including 5 nights holiday inn and includes 1 spouse/companion(fare/lodging-you have to supply your own spouse/companion). Exclusively hernia repair, lifetime warranty, 0 MRSA cases(aids is considered to be epidemic in this country with 16,000 deaths/year-MRSA kills over 19,000 and most cases result from medical procedures). Their recovery time(use of a local,under 30 minute op time and WALK out)( often return to full duty in 2-3 wks or less) is a fraction of other clinics, and their success rate is unmatched. Many try/claim to duplicate them but I have found none that come close to their stats(there have been several recalls/class actions in this country for substitutes that were implied to be the same as their patented mesh/procedure-they do not sell the mesh or franchise clinics) Normally I'm USA all the way but, but in this case I believe the Brits are unrivaled-I did extensive comparative research. If I let someone cut on me, I don't want a rookie or experimental imitation of the best, I want the best. I hate the sight of needles scalpels and -especially-my blood, I damn sure don't want to do it twice. Hope that helps-good luck!

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast