Miserable supervisors spreading their misery !!!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Miserable supervisors spreading their misery !!!

O.M.G.!!!!!

Never have I heard so many deputies tell how their supervisors are making work so absolutely miserable for them. Maybe it’s all rolling down hill. The constant harassment that I hear and see by first line supervisors is almost unbelievable. Is it that hard to be a supervisor now? Is the way the supervisors treat their deputies a result of how the supervisors themselves are being treated? If so, is a promotion even worth it anymore?

If we as deputies are lucky enough to survive the violent encounters we face from the public, many of us will succumb to the less violent but more toll taking treatment we receive from our own agency.

Sad.

Re: Miserable supervisors spreading their misery !!!

Try to get promoted and change the cycle, or don't complain about it!

Some of the worst petty tyrants in the agency are new corporals who get very full of themselves with their new-found "power."

Unfortunately, it doesn't get much better as they progress. Probably because their role models are other petty tyrants higher up the ladder.

The answer is the military model of commanding officers. As one soldier once said about his C.O.: "We ate and then he ate; we slept and then he slept." Looking out for your subordinates is the mark of a great leader.

I don't know of any of our current top rank people who are military veterans.

:!:

Quote Originally Posted by Guest
    Some of the worst petty tyrants in the agency are new corporals who get very full of themselves with their new-found "power."

Unfortunately, it doesn't get much better as they progress. Probably because their role models are other petty tyrants higher up the ladder.

The answer is the military model of commanding officers. As one soldier once said about his C.O.: "We ate and then he ate; we slept and then he slept." Looking out for your subordinates is the mark of a great leader.

I don't know of any of our current top rank people who are military veterans.

:!:
    You dont need to be a former military leader- just be sensible. Your troops have guns and badges and have been appointed by the Sheriff to exercise law enforcement duties in Hillsborough County. Let them do just that- do not micro-manage and look over their shoulder so much to the point that they are afraid to make a decision without being Monday morning quarterbacked to death. Common sense should still rule this job....

Supervisors- examine and work with your squad. Identify the ones who need a little extra help and assistance. Ask your good, solid veteran deps to give them an extra shove of help and confidence. NO one knows everything, we all learn a little something each and every shift we work. Those who need a little extra help- encourage them to learn from their mistakes, and improve on them the next time they come to work. Everyone will screw up from time to time- the difference is those who learn from those screw-ups and dont make that mistake again- and those who never learn and continue to foul up. If they need additonal help, make it happen. But dont penalize the whole squad or platoon for the mistakes of one. Work together and be the best squad/platoon/shift we can be. We are all in this together for better or for worse when it all comes down to the nitty gritty. And praise in public, reprimand in private...do not take your troublesome deputy to info (or even on main sometimes) and scold them for not handling something properly where everyone can hear. 56 them later, and go over what was done wrong and what needs to be corrected. Then casually follow up on the next call and see what improvements were made or not made.

Troops- as stated before, learn something new each and every shift- this goes for rookies and veterans alike. Even if its a certain way to handle a call that might be a tad different than how you handle things. Or a new, little known statute that you may not have known existed before. Stay active and vigilent, spend a few minutes each shift letting the newbies (and there are alot of them on midnites !!) know that you are there for support, dont need to sing them Kumbaya by the campfire or anything, just a friendly "You're OK kid" . No one is asking you to change their diapers for them, but just a little support and encouragement goes a long way. You dont have to be an FTO to help out. I know its tough considering how short we are and how busy it is, but the 5 minutes you spend talking up that rookie and giving him/her a boost could make a big difference for the remainder of the 12 hour shift, which could in turn make an even bigger difference in your/my/our career. We all got the same patch on our shirt when the shift is over with. And I like to go home to my family just as much as you do, and just as much as the rookie straight out of USF and S.O.T. does too. As said before, a little can go along way...

In the end, we need to watch each others back and get behind each other physically, mentally and emotionally. Slick sleeves to butter bars (lieutenants and captains) and higher. I have no doubts that if we are on the same page more or less, we can acccomplish more. Just my 2 cents, your mileage may vary....Thanks, and stay safe....D1 deputy

I think you missed the point regarding the absence of military veterans, and particularly military officers, in our leadership ranks.

The overall point of the post was that military people come from a culture of having the leadership look out for their troops, while the culture of the Sheriff's Office is that supervisory positions are an opportunity to be a tyrant, beginning with when one becomes a corporal. So, as a person progresses through the ranks his sole focus is to look out for his own power.

Think how different the office would be if the top spots were filled by former military personnel rather than the feather merchants that occupy the seats of power.

Sigh.................

:|

I was in the military and the leadership there is not everything you purport it to be.

O.M.G.!!!!!

Never have I heard so many deputies tell how their supervisors are making work so absolutely miserable for them. Maybe it’s all rolling down hill. The constant harassment that I hear and see by first line supervisors is almost unbelievable. Is it that hard to be a supervisor now? Is the way the supervisors treat their deputies a result of how the supervisors themselves are being treated? If so, is a promotion even worth it anymore?

If we as deputies are lucky enough to survive the violent encounters we face from the public, many of us will succumb to the less violent but more toll taking treatment we receive from our own agency.

Sad.

Yeah, but she will be gone soon. She's almost got 30 years on. 2nd line supervisor that has been kicked out of every district she was in. Hang tight!

Quote Originally Posted by D1
    Just my 2 cents, your mileage may vary....Thanks, and stay safe....D1 deputy
    Very well said and incredibly well written.... hope supervisors are listening. You be safe too.

And I hear she s up to her old tricks again, slamming deputies and snowballing the mid supervisors with made up complaints. Careful maam or your current d1 squad just might send in a mass resignation memo just like the last time you ran a certain d3 squad into the ground. The whole squad wished to be sent to the other shift to get away from your moodiness and tirant rants. You just cant help yourself. Why do we keep promoting these people higher up the chain.

And I hear she s up to her old tricks again, slamming deputies and snowballing the mid supervisors with made up complaints...

Made up complaints? Is she falsifying complaints?

Sounds like her squads (current and former) may get their wish after all if this is true. I think the Col. was ready to see her go a long time ago. If she’s falsifying things now, that might just do it.

If this is not rumor, and if the other supervisors refuse to cover for her any more, then we will have to wait and see if the chain of command will tolerate it anymore.

What do you think? I wouldn't hold my breath.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast