K-9
Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: K-9

K-9

This observation is bound to get somebody's panties in a wad, but hey...that's what we do here at leoaffairs, right?

Let me preface this by saying our K-9 unit has some fine officers in it. My opinion is they are probably the hardest working guys in this agency at what they do. Let me also point out that I, like many others, don't know jacksh*t about that job other than it's a hard job and we probably demand more of them than they are able to give. BUT just like every other good thing that has sprung up in this agency it appears that someone, somewhere felt the need to fix something that I thought wasn't broke.....

For example.... If your dog (and you, the handler) can only hunt dope, just hunt dope. When we need a dog to hunt a man, let us get a dog that can hunt a man. We all know who can do this well, we've worked with them. Or is it just not that simple anymore? I'm sure there's more to this than I'm seeing or understanding like manpower issues, politics, no OT, and patrol's belief that you're omnipresent but where is our K-9 unit going?

I didn't mean for this to be a dig on those guys. So my apologies if it sounds like that. It just seems, from an outsiders perspective, like that unit is turning into something that it once was not.... or maybe it's me and change was needed? I don't know.

Please share your opinions if you have one and beat me up on my comments if it makes you feel better. I'm a big boy I can take it.

Re: K-9

Boy you got some big b*lls to bring this subject up... but with that said I do see what you are talking about and maybe it does need to be discussed. Afterall, you are only talking out loud what others have been thinking about for some time now.

Here is my perspective for what it is worth;

It all changed when Rick retired. This left a huge vaccuum in that unit and whenever that happens in a law enforcement agency, people will scramble to take full advantage of it. It appeared to me that our highway interdiction k9 unit was looking for something else to do to keep their existance during these tough economic times. On a budget standpoint it only made sense to merge the two units and secure a k9 position while taking full advantage of a void in leadership.

The problem happened when the drug dog handlers were put in charge of the patrol dog handlers. Suddenly the man hunting k9's were silenced within the group and placed at the bottom of the pecking order. Handlers with ZERO patrol dog experience are now in charge and are conducting an OJT type operation at everyones elses expense. All of the new handlers combined does not come close to the years of experince of just ONE of the older guys who still remain (RR, PM or CS).

The unit is currently at the old perverbial fork in the roadway. How this turns out will be determined by (As a friend always puts it) ego's and attitudes. If the new and inexperienced youger guys in the unit will listen to the older guys and learn from them then everything will work out in due time; learning curve. BUT, if ego's and attitudes prevail, as usually happens in law enforcement, then the new guys will not listen to the older guys and it will be many years and many costly mistakes made before the unit will have any hopes of functioning as it once did (a well oiled machine). Add to the problem that if this scenario plays out the older guys morale will drop, the youger guys will become frustrated and the guys on the road will suffer.

In my opinion it was a slap in the face to the experinced guys left in the unit to have the position of k920 just "Given" to someone who has absolutely no work dog experience. This is not meant as any disrespect to WG because he is a hardworking and capable guy but the unit needed a show of balance from this position to merge the older guys with the newer guys; making one of the older guys as k920 would have accomplished this on the mental end (apperance) as well as the work related end (performance).

We will have to wait and see what happens next. As I said it will all depend on how well the ego's and attitudes are managed. So far its not looking good and we may be in for a long haul. I sincerly believe that by changing k920 to one of the more experienced handlers will solve a lot of current and potential problems... but hey, what do I know? I'm just one of the many deputies who constantly asks and appreciates their service to our agency and community!!

George I agree with your post however it brings up one question. Look around half the units in the agency are being run by persons with little to no experience. Why should K-9 be any different.

This is why I don't call them out unless I know one of the older guys are on. At least I'll know we will catch our bad guy then.
    I just wish their commander could see thru the fog.

WHAT MEAN BRU FRU?

WOW, I have felt this way for months. Ever since JP and WG got involved the canine program became very political and favortism went way up. Whem the chiefs got involved, based on friendships, my opinion and observations, things became very lopsided. The lack of a good Lt. also had its problems that assisted in this result. The canine unit will never be the same, too much turf garding and back door politics going on. I do not request canine either unless CS is on, he will give it 100%. The two other, not much interaction and never see them.

Quote Originally Posted by veteranrookie
    This observation is bound to get somebody's panties in a wad, but hey...that's what we do here at leoaffairs, right?

Let me preface this by saying our K-9 unit has some fine officers in it. My opinion is they are probably the hardest working guys in this agency at what they do. Let me also point out that I, like many others, don't know jacksh*t about that job other than it's a hard job and we probably demand more of them than they are able to give. BUT just like every other good thing that has sprung up in this agency it appears that someone, somewhere felt the need to fix something that I thought wasn't broke.....

For example.... If your dog (and you, the handler) can only hunt dope, just hunt dope. When we need a dog to hunt a man, let us get a dog that can hunt a man. We all know who can do this well, we've worked with them. Or is it just not that simple anymore? I'm sure there's more to this than I'm seeing or understanding like manpower issues, politics, no OT, and patrol's belief that you're omnipresent but where is our K-9 unit going?

I didn't mean for this to be a dig on those guys. So my apologies if it sounds like that. It just seems, from an outsiders perspective, like that unit is turning into something that it once was not.... or maybe it's me and change was needed? I don't know.

Please share your opinions if you have one and beat me up on my comments if it makes you feel better. I'm a big boy I can take it.
    I think two of the guys from vin tried for k9 and did not make it, now one of them is in charge! Go fiqure.

Apparently none of you work nights. I agree it is different and difficult to operate when a patrol/drug or patrol/bomb dog is on. All of these guys are giving it the best they can. North Naples recentey had a 31V and 2 patrol dogs were on scene very fast. One got a bite and the other got a surrender, because he heard the other one screaming. There is funding for each,bomb and drug, and it out of the control of the unit. R.R. W.G. J.P. are doing the best they can with what they have. C.W. is with out a doubt one of the best cops and handlers this unit has ever had but was either black balled or is not interested in being a boss. (Removed by Mod 167) The K-9 unit has come a very long way since R.B. has left and it is for the better. Give them a chance and you will see. My expierience with them so far has been noithing but outstanding,

Quote Originally Posted by Boardwalk Boy
    Apparently none of you work nights.,
    I work nights and I still stand behind my post. Judging by you post, I bet you were one of the 2 k9's on the 31v at Naples grand... Like I said, ego's and attitudes will be the demise of your unit. To discount even one of the most experienced handlers in your unit is the same as discounting all of them; failure by division. You may not like the moustach boys but the knowledge and experience will help you from making some fatal mistakes. You don't have to like them but I would at least respect them for what they have seen and done!!

Quote Originally Posted by Day SHift
    Quote Originally Posted by veteranrookie

I think two of the guys from vin tried for k9 and did not make it, now one of them is in charge! Go fiqure.

That is right, he was last on the list, like 13 or 14 years ago and now is in charge of that unit. Backdoor politics, JB and he are good friends.....

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast