Sick Time “B” Plan
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sick Time “B” Plan

For those deputies on “B” plan, who will get paid nothing for their unused sick time when they retire, I’m curious: What is the point of not using this time that the county gives you?

“B” plan started back around February 1997, so around Feb 2022 there should be a whole bunch of people nearing retirement, with a whole bunch of unused sick time.

It should be interesting to see what happens with all those hours, from all those deputies. Are all of these deputies going to start using hundreds/thousands of hours of their sick time? Many of these deputies with 25+ years on will be supervisors, who won’t be scared by the threat of being accused of “abusing” sick time, as newer deputies are. Besides how can someone PROVE you don’t feel well? Or will these deputies just give up the sick time that they have earned?

I know many deputies save their sick time for “What if….” But, when all those deputies near retirement time and there is no more time for having a long term injury/illness, it’s going to be a case of use it or lose it, with their remaining sick time.

Re: Sick Time “B” Plan

So you are typing this as a way of verbalizing your intent to start abusing sick time I guess. You are hoping your zone partners will support you in this so you don't feel guilty about leaving them high and dry.

Quote Originally Posted by hepcat
    So you are typing this as a way of verbalizing your intent to start abusing sick time I guess. You are hoping your zone partners will support you in this so you don't feel guilty about leaving them high and dry.

In the year 2022 (retirement time for those hired 1997 and after) I doubt the original poster will still be in patorl. But, even if they are, it is not his/her fault that HCSO won't hire enough deputies to cover the road if someone calls in sick, even for more than a month or so.

I think that is the point................. when all those deputies have all that sick time that they will "use or lose" .....what's going to happen? Is HCSO going to allow the streets to be empty.....or are they going to offer to pay these deputies for their unused sick time.

If a deputy is about to retire I doubt they will feel guilty for cashing in! And, that is what will cause the problem. All those deputies cashing in (using their sick time).

Ed Turanchik, who is going to run for mayor, is largely responsible for the way things are. He wanted to make a name for himself and pointed out that vacation, holiday, and sick time was "unfunded." When people left they had lots of time stacked, now they use it. There are always unintended consequences when a politician does something "good" for us.

You say this as if you honestly believe that people at HCSO honestly give a darn about leaving thr fellow squad mates high & dry these days. You must NOT be currently working the street or you would already know that there is NO squad unity left anymore, with the exception of a few gung-ho veteran deps left working the street who kick butt and get the job jone, all the while trying to keep an eye on the enormous amount of rookies and phase 5 deps on the streets all of a sudden. Without the few senior vet deputies that still still care enough to set a good example for these rooks, there would be NO leadership AT ALL on midnight shifts. You now have brand new college grads with no experience teaching more fresh college grads with no experience. OMG does it show too. The only thing these rooks are not afraid to do is wait for thr idiot box to send them somewhere and then call the nearest sup or vet dep after arrival to explain to them how to handle the call. There is NO proactive police work being done for a wide variety of reasons, to include the lack of sufficient manpower on the street and just the shear lack of experienced, sufficiently level headed deputies to work the street in general. This last year specifically, showed BIG TIME just how valuable the good veteran deps are to the overall strength of the platoons. Without them right now, it would be nothing but a complete disaster on the midnight shifts. Yet the office has stepped on its vets heads time & time again and yet these are the most valuable asset we have right now in restoring some form of order and common sense on the street. Go ahead command staff and step on them some more, so you force them all out in order to save money. Were not stupid.....it's obvious what the motives are. Just dont say the warning bells have not been sounded about what this is doing and what will happen if it continues. The older folks get treated like trash by this admin and all it does is show the young deps what they have coming when & if they get to be senior deps. It is really amazing what has been allowed to go on at HCSO these past 3-4 years.....SHOCKING! :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

His post is actually a veiled invitation to Plan B employees to dishonor their career by feigning illness en masse and forcing a crisis.

Feigned illness not only constitutes abuse of sick leave but also shows lack of character. It is dispiriting to believe that people sworn to enforce the law would be so dishonest.

The poster sounds like the classic union member threatening a work slow down or stoppage to harm the public. It's all about "ME" to people like them.

Disgusting.

Quote Originally Posted by They are at it again
    His post is actually a veiled invitation to Plan B employees to dishonor their career by feigning illness en masse and forcing a crisis.

Feigned illness not only constitutes abuse of sick leave but also shows lack of character. It is dispiriting to believe that people sworn to enforce the law would be so dishonest.

The poster sounds like the classic union member threatening a work slow down or stoppage to harm the public. It's all about "ME" to people like them.

Disgusting.

Yep, you're right it IS about me. Working for this Sheriff's office has shown me that if I don’t stand up for ME, no one will. This Sheriff's office certainly will not.

It's all about character hunh? Well then why don’t you show some character and do the exact same thing you are asking B plan deputies to do. Give back or donate all of you sick/comp/holiday/vacation/military time to charity, or just refuse to take it and refuse to be paid for it. ALL OF IT !!!!!

C'mon Mr. Character step up and show your character.

I didn't think so!

Quote Originally Posted by They are at it again

Actually no. I think the original poster has a valid question. I have watched for years while deputies and supervisors that were covered under the old plan were paid a portion of their unused sick time. They would then plan their time as to which days off they would take as "sick" for the time they would not be paid for. I have even seen one supervisor sit down with another supervisor and help him plan his whole last year before retirement and which days he would take off. So it's not a new idea to say the least.

Sick leave is not a law it is an earned benefit. My question to you would be what would you have one do with hundreds and hundreds of hours of sick time that they have earned over the years and are not going to be paid for? Pull up the HCSO public website under benefits of employment and you will see Paid Sick Time listed as perk.

We don't need a work stoppage or slow down around this place to harm the public. Hillsborough County is quickly becoming a cess pool quite nicely on it's own due to a personnel shortage. A shooting a day keeps the Dope Fairy away. But thats another topic. So what your saying is that if I never call in sick and am lucky enough to not suffer a prolonged illness or injury, yeah right like that aint happened, that I should just give all my sick time back to the office with no pay or other compansation (time off) at the end of my career? Were talking hundreds and hundreds of hours here.

Disgusting

Your opinion..
    ]

what dumb ass posted such nonesense.. if you want to complain about abuse of sick leave turn to the zone partner who has no sick leave on the books and is always asking for donantions of time. you are telling the board that the senior deputies who have hundreds of hours on the books are slackers. pull you head out of the sand you stupid little person you are so ignorant, you are a newbe little piss ant

All this talk is making me sick. I am close to retirement. I think i will go to the Doctor and get him to give me a week or 2 vacation for mental stress.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast