Radio Problems!!! (I've had it!!)
Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Radio Problems!!! (I've had it!!)

I pray that someone who has some pull, be it the Sheriff, Command Staff, County Commissioners or even John Q Public, reads this post and does something about the radio problems.

It is a crying shame that we have to endure such a crappy system. Words do not begin to explain the level of problems or frustration that come with this system. It has been said before so many times that the word officer safety now means nothing.

Someone is going to get hurt from this system not working properly and when it does I hope they sue the dog crap out of the county. John Daily sits in his glass palace and has no clue what kind of problems we experience at night. And just in case you read this, let me list just a few for you...

1. radios (Main and hand held) constantly in CC Scan
    2. Radios (Main and hand held) only receive partial recption. It is very rare taht I can hear both sides of a converstaion on one radio. I have started leaving my handheld on in the car along woth the main radio on and between the two radios I can half way make out what is being said.
    3. Digital bleed over from other counties
    4. WA Scan on both radios
    5. Key up to go out on a priority call or request for back-up and the radio "Bloops" and says DENIED... WTH is that about, DENIED???? Are you friggin kidding me!!!!!!!
    6. Air unit constantly stating that they can not talk to ground units or even hear the ground units...
    7. Other units key up and the LID number does not display
    8. Towers completely fail and we have to dispatch by nextel phones!

I can list more but what is the use? Years ago they ask us to fill out sheets of paper documenting the problems...WELLL, NOTHING HAS CHANGED!!!

I demand BETTER from this county. I and my brothers and sisters put our lives on the line every night and I know it comes with an inherant risk BUT that risk should not come my only means of communications!

The radio system SUCKS, and I am FED UP about it. Someone PLEASE do something about it!!!!!!!!!!!

PLEASE!

Re: Radio Problems!!! (I've had it!!)

Oh sure lets scrap it and get a whole new system what would that cost about 4 or 5 million? Or were you just making out your Christmas list to Santa? You don't need a radio we know what you are going to say before you key up to say it George... "Ok Naples, Hold it...Force it...or Next Available." Be careful my brothers and sisters it is a real jungle out there, there was no toy in my Happy Meal today.

So the possible loss of a life or serious injury has a price tag of 4-5 million? Each one of our men and women deserve better no matter the cost. Yes, I understand it would be expensive, budget is a concern, but this system has and has always had alot of issues which equates to officer safety. The Motorola's of the 90's worked better than these.

I.T. says to reboot.

Are you people serious? Sure the system has problems find me one that doesn't You think NASA doesn't loose transmissions with the Space Shuttle? Report the problems when we have them so they can be addressed. If you want to go back to the 90s, Motorolas and 2 men on a shift be my guest, talk about officer safety... I'll vote for what we have now and maybe a pay increase.

Relax, I didn't say let's go back to the 90's, but when you figure the $$$ amount of the new and improved system when it was installed, the promises made of how much better it would work never materialized. Your statement about a pay increase, I'll leave that one to somone else...

Quote Originally Posted by Guest
    Are you people serious? Sure the system has problems find me one that doesn't You think NASA doesn't loose transmissions with the Space Shuttle? Report the problems when we have them so they can be addressed. If you want to go back to the 90s, Motorolas and 2 men on a shift be my guest, talk about officer safety... I'll vote for what we have now and maybe a pay increase.
    Hey Dork! Don't be so ****y there. Apparently, you don't use the radio or you wouldn't be making such rediculous statements. These deputies have a valid point concerning officer safety. There is a hugh difference between NASA and the CCSO dumbell.

It's a terrible feeling while getting your A$$ beat and you can't call for help because the tin can walkie talkie system fails you.

This has been a continuing problem with this 800 system. Sheriff, take heed and get your Chiefs on this matter before someone gets killed. This is no longer a joking matter. If you don't believe me ride on one shift in district 8 after dark.

With out a doubt there are major issues with the 800 radio system! For those who say there are only minor issues tells me that you only listen to the radio for the 5 or 10 minute drive to and from work during daylight hours. If you really want to know how the system works for the majority of deputies and during the majority of a 24 hour period then spend some time listening to it after 5pm and before 7am.

The system is very unreliable and to say it is a safety hazard is an understatement! I can not tell you how many times CRITICAL information was either being given from a deputy to others or from dispatch to deputies where the information was never recieved. As George said, if you do not have two radios on, side by side, at one time, you will NEVER get 100% of the information or transmission. The odds are that when you key up at night you will have a better than 25% chance that you will not be allowed to transmit at all or a better than 90% chance that only a few people will hear everything you say.

The system is a joke! It is rediculous for the county to continue to burry thier heads into the sand and deny that there is a serious problem. The county has a choice; prepare to replace the system in a timely manner or get ready to pay out a lot of money in a law suit, but in either case, the county better find the funds and do something.

Oh and by the way, here is a little information that should really piss you off. Did you know that out of all of the county departments which operate on the 800 system, EMS has priority on the system... That means if a deputy is trying to transmit and an EMS person is also trying to transmit, EMS will be given the priority on the tower and guarenteed a channel to talk on. This is why EMS has very few complaints about the radio system compared to CCSO. I have no clue who the geniuess was who allowed this to happen but the last time I checked, EMS stands by until the scene is safe. Without proper, effective, efficient or reliable radio communications, the scene will never be safe for CCSO... where do we stand by at?

From the looks of the mug shots in the Naples Daily News you guys are handing out the a$$ whippings not taking them.

The radio system sucks enough to make any sane person angry... just ask Joe!

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast