Juvenile record, should I bother applying?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Juvenile record, should I bother applying?

Hello all,

I'm considering applying to the HCSO, but have a juvenile record that includes a couple misdemeanors, a felony possession charge and a dui. This all occurred when I was 16-17. I'm 30 now and have no record since, I haven't even had a traffic ticket in atleast 8 years.

Should I even bother applying? I realize that the juvenile record will be a hurdle, but I'm not sure if it rules me out completely (kind of assuming it does). If it does shoot me down, are there any other local departments (Pasco Sheriffs etc) that would be more lenient on that?

Thank you in advance..

Re: Juvenile record, should I bother applying?

Yes apply. But do not put your eggs in one basket and look at other agencies such as Pasco.

Apply everywhere eyou can, but understand this.....

I was speaking with a group of deputies last week and we all agreed that if we had to do it all over again, the hiring process. there is no way in the world than any of us could get hired by HCSO. It's almost like winning the lottery! We are thankful to have a job here.

Good luck with your job search! Don't give up!

Thanks guys, I appreciate it.

Go to philly, Chicago or NY....Your going to need an agency that hires by the list. You have very little chance of getting hired by a local agency, unless you speak spanish or have some other hard to fill skill. There is a stack of apps of people with degress, military, etc...and no arrest. That is the reality.

Quote Originally Posted by Guest1234567
    Hello all,

I'm considering applying to the HCSO, but have a juvenile record that includes a couple misdemeanors, a felony possession charge and a dui. This all occurred when I was 16-17. I'm 30 now and have no record since, I haven't even had a traffic ticket in atleast 8 years.

Should I even bother applying? I realize that the juvenile record will be a hurdle, but I'm not sure if it rules me out completely (kind of assuming it does). If it does shoot me down, are there any other local departments (Pasco Sheriffs etc) that would be more lenient on that?

Thank you in advance..
    I know an applicant for a civilian position who had a similar record, but with no dui, who was turned down. Go ahead and apply, but don't get your hopes up.

Monitor the situation and when the current chief deputy finally goes away, apply again.

In the mean time you are much more likely to get a job elsewhere.

:|

Thank you for the info guys. I assumed the juvenile record will pretty much shoot me down. I will likely apply anyways, nothing to lose really.

As far as applying to other agencies, it seems HCSO is the only local dept that pays you through training.

TPD, Pasco Sheriffs, Pinellas Sheriffs and ST Pete PD, from what I gather, none of them pay through training. You basically have to be already certified or go through their training while not earning any income, which is not really feasible for me while trying to support a family. I've heard/read of sponsorship programs out there and was basically told they are few and far between and if you're not a minority (which I'm not) you pretty much have no chance at one.

If any of my assumptions are incorrect, please correct me. And any tips or ideas would be appreciated. Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by Guest1234567
    Thank you for the info guys. I assumed the juvenile record will pretty much shoot me down. I will likely apply anyways, nothing to lose really.

As far as applying to other agencies, it seems HCSO is the only local dept that pays you through training.

TPD, Pasco Sheriffs, Pinellas Sheriffs and ST Pete PD, from what I gather, none of them pay through training. You basically have to be already certified or go through their training while not earning any income, which is not really feasible for me while trying to support a family. I've heard/read of sponsorship programs out there and was basically told they are few and far between and if you're not a minority (which I'm not) you pretty much have no chance at one.

If any of my assumptions are incorrect, please correct me. And any tips or ideas would be appreciated. Thank you
    Don't worry, before long you will be the minority in Hillsborough County, followed by the rest of the Country....... :x

TPD is doing a Scholarship Academy in January.

Quote Originally Posted by Guest
    TPD is doing a Scholarship Academy in January.
    Where did you hear this information?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast