hiring - Page 2
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: hiring

Re: hiring

Are investigators considered Special Agents? On the last announcement it didn’t mention Special Agents but I see some on this forum speak about SA's... Also, is there a uniform of the day or is it professional business attire?

thank you for your info in advance, i am interested in a position but the web site isnt very informative.

Quote Originally Posted by guest2355
    Are investigators considered Special Agents? On the last announcement it didn’t mention Special Agents but I see some on this forum speak about SA's... Also, is there a uniform of the day or is it professional business attire?

thank you for your info in advance, i am interested in a position but the web site isnt very informative.
    Please allow me to answer your questions. In ABT, the terms "Investigator" and "Special Agent" are the same. The official pay class is Law Enforcement Investigator II but the working title is Special Agent. In the state pay system it goes like this:

Law Enforcement Officer
    Law Enforcement Investigator I (same as corporal)
    Law Enforcement Investigator II (same as sergeant)
    Law Enforcement Lieutenant, Captain, Major, etc.

Each agency can call their people anything but all are paid according to the broad band scale listed above.
    We currently issue one type of uniform (Class C) which is utilized when high visibilty is important. It consists of black 5.11's and a grey polo with POLICE markings. Some of the old timers kept their Class A and B uniforms for special functions but they are no longer purchased. Most days, you dress for the assignment. Khakis and a polo are usually a safe bet. Feel free to ask questions.

Yes they are agents and it is a great place to work. Plain clothes no uniform

Quote Originally Posted by Guest
    Yes they are agents and it is a great place to work. Plain clothes no uniform
    Everybody THINKS that they are "SPECIAL" but in truth...................they're a bunch of cry babies, wusses and malcontents. It is a good place to work if you don't mind hearing the cry babies complain all the time and you also have to watch your back. If anything ever goes south, it's your fault. If you make a good case, someone else will take credit for it. 90% of ABT agents are strangers to the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Buck
    Quote Originally Posted by guest2355

Please allow me to answer your questions. In ABT, the terms "Investigator" and "Special Agent" are the same. The official pay class is Law Enforcement Investigator II but the working title is Special Agent. In the state pay system it goes like this:

Law Enforcement Officer
    Law Enforcement Investigator I (same as corporal)
    Law Enforcement Investigator II (same as sergeant)
    Law Enforcement Lieutenant, Captain, Major, etc.

Each agency can call their people anything but all are paid according to the broad band scale listed above.
    We currently issue one type of uniform (Class C) which is utilized when high visibilty is important. It consists of black 5.11's and a grey polo with POLICE markings. Some of the old timers kept their Class A and B uniforms for special functions but they are no longer purchased. Most days, you dress for the assignment. Khakis and a polo are usually a safe bet. Feel free to ask questions.
    Thanks Uncle Buck...

I do have a few more question, how does shift assignment work? I have read that there really isn’t any, but you work your cases as needed. Is this true? No nights or day shifts? Does your supervisor give you autonomy to make those decisions?
    BTW thanks for being positive about the agency, I have been around long enough to know what to watch out for and what types of problems exists in different agencies.
    Some of these other posters must think the grass is greener… ? I don’t think I have ever met an officer who didn’t think that he grass is greener somewhere else!
    Thanks again…

For the most part, you work when necessary to complete your assigned cases or to address a particular issue. The majority of routine work is handled during the normal 8-5 work day. There are times (depending on location) that you might work nights for awhile. Spring Break is an example of a night detail. Every office has differing needs but hours other than 8-5 are the exception and not the rule. You may have a supervisor who will allow wide flexibility while others like to keep a tighter reign. In my experience, most agents enjoy adjustable work hours unheard of in most agencies. High producers rarely draw negative attention from supervisors here. Keep in mind we are not a first response agency so the need for shift work is rare indeed. The big thing is 160 hours every 28 day cycle.

For the most part, you work when necessary to complete your assigned cases or to address a particular issue. The majority of routine work is handled during the normal 8-5 work day. There are times (depending on location) that you might work nights for awhile. Spring Break is an example of a night detail. Every office has differing needs but hours other than 8-5 are the exception and not the rule. You may have a supervisor who will allow wide flexibility while others like to keep a tighter reign. In my experience, most agents enjoy adjustable work hours unheard of in most agencies. High producers rarely draw negative attention from supervisors here. Keep in mind we are not a first response agency so the need for shift work is rare indeed. The big thing is 160 hours every 28 day cycle.
    Thanks for the insight, Hopefully I will here soon....

thanks

Hey last question few questions, Are promotions made by test or resume? Will they keep you in same geographical area? I ask becuase in this economy it would be pretty hard to pack up and sell to move to another location. How strict are they about the 35 sky miles residency?

thanks Uncle Buck, have a great New Years!

ABT doesn't use promotional exams. At one time we tested for sergeant, but since then we did away with the sergeant rank and all testing. You are hired to fill a vacancy in an office so involuntary transfers are extremely rare. You can transfer to another office but it is at your expense, unless it involves a promotion. The 35 mile rule is pretty much solid if you want a take home car. Exceptions would be up to the director. My bet is no exceptions.

Quote Originally Posted by Guest
    ABT doesn't use promotional exams. At one time we tested for sergeant, but since then we did away with the sergeant rank and all testing. You are hired to fill a vacancy in an office so involuntary transfers are extremely rare. You can transfer to another office but it is at your expense, unless it involves a promotion. The 35 mile rule is pretty much solid if you want a take home car. Exceptions would be up to the director. My bet is no exceptions.
    I should have added promotions usually consist of an oral interview with 3-5 people, and the director has the final say..

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast