TOWING ZONE SCAM - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: TOWING ZONE SCAM

I'm sorry about the delay, but I had to wait for replies, and my Daughters wedding in California last week. Things got away from me.

Amy the property manager is going to have the Towing zone signs removed.

Sergeant Nowak personally provided me with the Tow report for my vehicle, something I came to doubt that I would see ( it only cost $20 + postage to receive a complimentary -no charge copy - a free financial expense only the mind of a cop or a lawyer could understand

The Complaint is filed, and I guess now we wait for the Virginia Board of Towing & Recovery operators to review it at their next meeting. (surely they have one every year or so) to see if they detect any irregularity in the practice of towing cars from empty building parking lots with out any actual towing service contract, or call from a real live property manager.

Complainant: William K Fyler......................757-8X4-8XXX
    P. O. Box 65XX3.................................. ... r@Juno.com
    Hampton, VA 236XX
    Registered Owner: ‘98 Plymouth Voyager VIN: 2P4GPXX30WR607XX8

Superior Towing Service....CAO-00087......Albert Wayne Duff.....DAD-02560
    22 Yorktown Rd........(757)-874-0200......1XXX Cherokee Dr (757) 9X9-0X15
    Newport News, Va 23603.................. Newport News, VA 23X02
    Event: 27 August 2010 9:30pm(2136 hrs) Towing Charge $120.00 (Visa charge)

Location: Private Property............................... Property Owner: (404) 231 - 9500
    Alltel Park lot/Patrick Henry Mall....................... AXX Realty Corporation
    12274 Jefferson Ave, ...................................... 3XX0 Peachtree Rd, Suite 1XXX5,
    Newport News, VA.......................................... Atlanta, Ga 30XX5

Event Narrative: My son and friend were attending farewell dinner at Cheddar’s Casual Café prior to permanent assignment overseas. Overflow conditions in Cheddar’s park lot encouraged their decision to park in lot of vacant building.
    Reason for towing: Unknown (greed) No Property Manager Calls have been placed for service. No valid contract has existed for more than a year.

Description of complaint & contacts: On the night of the event, the tow truck operator, Albert Duff, was asked ‘by who’s authority he towed the vehicle‘, and he responded that it was a ‘random drive thru‘, and he acted on his own authority. (written by me on the bill, Duff refused to initialize it). In his bill, he indicates he reported a Property Manager Request to the police, and on the police form, ‘management’ is cited as the reason for the Non Consent Towing service (Improper Parking). Mr. Duff was aware that he made a false report to the police. (TOWING RECEIPT ATTACHED)

A temporary hold was placed on the VISA charge, but when VISA understood this was a towing dispute, they refused to honor the hold request. (E-MAIL COPY ATTACHED)

On September 3, 2010, a certified letter was sent to Superior Towing requesting
    ........................ Full Legal name of Tow Truck Operator for receipt #67676
    ........................ Name & Phone Number of Property Manager requesting service
    ........................ Copy of Towing Service Contract
    Superior towing has not responded to my request. (COPY ATTACHED)

NNPD, Lewis Thurston, provided a copy of various Tow Log Reports, but charges became excessive (NNPD does not provide electronic records at this time), I would have provided a copy of all unlawful ALLTEL park lot towing events for the year 2010, but I can not afford them. (REQUEST & RESPONSE ATTACHED)

..............I contacted the Property Manager, Amy Peterson, or ACL Realty Corporation in Atlanta GA for clarification on the Tow Zone Enforcement guidelines at ALLTEL, and I was informed that there are none. She provided this statement to me in letter and e-mail form(ATTACHED). There are no existing valid contracts & there have been no Property Manager Calls for ANY ACL Realty properties. I have since informed Ms Peterson of the Tow Zone signs. Their removal is under review. ( SEE ATTACHED PROPERTY & SIGNS)

............. I believe other records in the Private Property Towing Files of NNPD will demonstrate that this practice has been ongoing by Superior Towing for some time. There are many complaints at Cheddar’s. I have notified the Manager and District Manager of Cheddar’s Casual Café of the unlawful abuse of their patrons.

Resolution Sought: I want to support the Virginia efforts to end predatory towing in the state, and the extortion practiced by unethical tow service companies.

Albert Duff, is knowingly engaging in unauthorized Predatory Towing and Superior Towing is supporting this activity by refusing to acknowledge the unlawful and undocumented nature of his non-consent towing services. This practice is documented in this complaint for a single parking lot, but review of towing records may show other offenses at other closed businesses.

It is for this reason that I am asking the BTRO to review my complaint,

1) Obtain records from NNPD to understand the extent of this particular extortion practice at the closed Alltel lot,
    2) Obtain a copy of the Alltel Parking contract from Superior Towing
    3) Terminate the license of Superior Towing,
    4) Terminate the DAD of Albert Duff
    5) Terminate the DAD of any other Superior Towing drivers found to be engaging in this practice.
    6) Prosecute Albert Duff for extortion, credit card fraud, breaking & entering-auto, and if applicable, grand theft auto
    7) Prosecute any other drivers of Superior Towing engaged in this practice.
    8-) Prosecute Superior Towing Services LLC as accessories in this criminal activity

Time and Legal expenses make the research and defense of towing activities prohibitive. It is easier to pay an unjust charge than to hire a lawyer and research the matter. Unethical Towing Service Companies ‘milk’ the public for illegal charges to small to defend. The resolution I am seeking is to send a clear message to ALL Virginia companies engaging in these practices. This practice is not acceptable, and eventually someone will expose them to face the consequences of false police reports and criminal activities.

I would like the police to be proactive and apply common sense when claims of late night Property Management calls, from locations with no businesses function, are received. NNPD police do not feel this is part of their obligation to serve the public, nor do they feel that periodic reviews of records exposing improbable non-consent tows are needed.

9) Additionally, I would like BTRO to review the nature and wording of ‘typical’ towing service contracts.. I would like to see contract disclosure requirements that alert contracting property managers to possible abuse of certain agreements; specify circumstances (if any) for which a property manager call is not required to initiate the towing, and a requirement that contracts be renewed by review of service performance (number of tow services performed the past year) and a signature of the current property managers. Failure to return the new contract after a reminder or personal visit would be automatic cancellation of the contract. Sign removal without charge would be the responsibility of the Tow Service company(SAMPLE: DOMINION CONTRACT ATTACHED)

_________________________ _October , 2010_
    Willliam K Fyler Date

Attached:
    Towing Service Bill
    VISA e-mail
    Superior Towing Certified letter
    Request for Tow Records
    NNPD Towing Report
    AXX Realty e-mails & official letter
    Property Plat & Tow Signs
    Internet Dominion Towing Contract (sample) & Commentary

Review of Towing Contract - Commentary
    I'm sorry about the delay, but I had to wait for replies, and my Daughters wedding in California last week. Things got away from me.

Sergeant Nowak personally provided me with the Tow report for my vehicle, something I came to doubt that I would see ( it only cost $20 + postage to receive a complimentary -no charge copy - a free financial expense only the mind of a cop or a lawyer could understand

The Complaint is filed, and I guess now we wait for the Virginia Board of Towing & Recovery operators to review it at their next meeting. (surely they have one every year or so) to see if they detect any irregularity in the practice of towing cars from empty building parking lots with out any actual towing service contract, or call from a real live property manager.

Complainant: William K Fyler 757-884-8421
    P. O. Box 65903 WKFyler@Juno.com
    Hampton, VA 23665
    Registered Owner: ‘98 Plymouth Voyager VIN: 2P4GP4530WR607398

Superior Towing Service CAO-00087 Albert Wayne Duff DAD-02560
    22 Yorktown Rd. (757)-874-0200 166 Cherokee Dr (757) 989-0715
    Newport News, Va 23603 Newport News, VA 23602

Alltel Park lot/Patrick Henry Mall ACL Realty Corporation
    12274 Jefferson Ave, 3060 Peachtree Rd, Suite 1545,
    Newport News, VA Atlanta, Ga 30305

Event Narrative: My son and friend were attending farewell dinner at Cheddar’s Casual Café prior to permanent assignment overseas. Overflow conditions in Cheddar’s park lot encouraged their decision to park in lot of vacant building.
    Reason for towing: Unknown (greed) No Property Manager Calls have been placed for service. No valid contract has existed for more than a year.

Description of complaint & contacts: On the night of the event, the tow truck operator, Albert Duff, was asked ‘by who’s authority he towed the vehicle‘, and he responded that it was a ‘random drive thru‘, and he acted on his own authority. (written by me on the bill, Duff refused to initialize it). In his bill, he indicates he reported a Property Manager Request to the police, and on the police form, ‘management’ is cited as the reason for the Non Consent Towing service (Improper Parking). Mr. Duff was aware that he made a false report to the police. (TOWING RECEIPT ATTACHED)

A temporary hold was placed on the VISA charge, but when VISA understood this was a towing dispute, they refused to honor the hold request. (E-MAIL COPY ATTACHED)

Full Legal name of Tow Truck Operator for receipt #67676
    Name & Phone Number of Property Manager requesting service
    Copy of Towing Service Contract

NNPD, Lewis Thurston, provided a copy of various Tow Log Reports, but charges became excessive (NNPD does not provide electronic records at this time), I would have provided a copy of all unlawful ALLTEL park lot towing events for the year 2010, but I can not afford them. (REQUEST & RESPONSE ATTACHED)

I contacted the Property Manager, Amy Peterson, or ACL Realty Corporation in Atlanta GA for clarification on the Tow Zone Enforcement guidelines at ALLTEL, and I was informed that there are none. She provided this statement to me in letter and e-mail form(ATTACHED). There are no existing valid contracts & there have been no Property Manager Calls for ANY ACL Realty properties. I have since informed Ms Peterson of the Tow Zone signs. Their removal is under review. ( SEE ATTACHED PROPERTY & SIGNS)

I believe other records in the Private Property Towing Files of NNPD will demonstrate that this practice has been ongoing by Superior Towing for some time. There are many complaints at Cheddar’s. I have notified the Manager and District Manager of Cheddar’s Casual Café of the unlawful abuse of their patrons.

Resolution Sought: I want to support the Virginia efforts to end predatory towing in the state, and the extortion practiced by unethical tow service companies.

Albert Duff, is knowingly engaging in unauthorized Predatory Towing and Superior Towing is supporting this activity by refusing to acknowledge the unlawful and undocumented nature of his non-consent towing services. This practice is documented in this complaint for a single parking lot, but review of towing records may show other offenses at other closed businesses.

1) Obtain records from NNPD to understand the extent of this particular extortion practice at the closed Alltel lot,
    5) Terminate the DAD of any other Superior Towing drivers found to be engaging in this practice.
    6) Prosecute Albert Duff for extortion, credit card fraud, breaking & entering-auto, and if applicable, grand theft auto
    8) Prosecute Superior Towing Services LLC as accessories in this criminal activity

Time and Legal expenses make the research and defense of towing activities prohibitive. It is easier to pay an unjust charge than to hire a lawyer and research the matter. Unethical Towing Service Companies ‘milk’ the public for illegal charges to small to defend. The resolution I am seeking is to send a clear message to ALL Virginia companies engaging in these practices. This practice is not acceptable, and eventually someone will expose them to face the consequences of false police reports and criminal activities.

I would like the police to be proactive and apply common sense when claims of late night Property Management calls, from locations with no businesses function, are received. NNPD police do not feel this is part of their obligation to serve the public, nor do they feel that periodic reviews of records exposing improbable non-consent tows are needed.

9) Additionally, I would like BTRO to review the nature and wording of ‘typical’ towing service contracts.. I would like to see contract disclosure requirements that alert contracting property managers to possible abuse of certain agreements; specify circumstances (if any) for which a property manager call is not required to initiate the towing, and a requirement that contracts be renewed by review of service performance (number of tow services performed the past year) and a signature of the current property managers. Failure to return the new contract after a reminder or personal visit would be automatic cancellation of the contract. Sign removal without charge would be the responsibility of the Tow Service company(SAMPLE: DOMINION CONTRACT ATTACHED)

Willliam K Fyler Date

Attached:
    Towing Service Bill
    VISA e-mail
    Request for Tow Records
    NNPD Towing Report
    ACL Realty e-mails & official letter

Complainant: William K Fyler 757-884-8421
    P. O. Box 65903 WKFyler@Juno.com
    Hampton, VA 23665
    Registered Owner: ‘98 Plymouth Voyager VIN: 2P4GP4530WR607398

Superior Towing Service CAO-00087 Albert Wayne Duff DAD-02560
    22 Yorktown Rd. (757)-874-0200 166 Cherokee Dr (757) 989-0715
    Newport News, Va 23603 Newport News, VA 23602

Alltel Park lot/Patrick Henry Mall ACL Realty Corporation
    12274 Jefferson Ave, 3060 Peachtree Rd, Suite 1545,
    Newport News, VA Atlanta, Ga 30305

Full Legal name of Tow Truck Operator for receipt #67676
    Name & Phone Number of Property Manager requesting service
    Copy of Towing Service Contract

I contacted the Property Manager, Amy Peterson, or ACL Realty Corporation in Atlanta GA for clarification on the Tow Zone Enforcement guidelines at ALLTEL, and I was informed that there are none. She provided this statement to me in letter and e-mail form(ATTACHED). There are no existing valid contracts & there have been no Property Manager Calls for ANY ACL Realty properties. I have since informed Ms Peterson of the Tow Zone signs. Their removal is under review. ( SEE ATTACHED PROPERTY & SIGNS)

I believe other records in the Private Property Towing Files of NNPD will demonstrate that this practice has been ongoing by Superior Towing for some time. There are many complaints at Cheddar’s. I have notified the Manager and District Manager of Cheddar’s Casual Café of the unlawful abuse of their patrons.

8) Prosecute Superior Towing Services LLC as accessories in this criminal activity

Willliam K Fyler Date

Attached:
    Towing Service Bill
    VISA e-mail
    Request for Tow Records
    NNPD Towing Report
    ACL Realty e-mails & official letter

http://www.dominiontowing.com/online...tract-form.pdf

Dominion Towing Service Contract was copied from their website, It is serving as an Illustrative Example of the industrie‘s ‘typical’ contract.

1) 24 Hour Service Patrol Service Call in Only

A) Legal responsibility for Towing event:
    Must property managers make a call for service?,
    Must property managers be notified of infraction discovered by tow operator before towing can occur.
    Under what circumstances is it allowed for towing to occur without direct knowledge of Property manager?

B) Legitimate Reasons for towing:

Vehicle License Plates, Inspection Stickers, Handicap Parking are a contract with the state of Virginia, and are subject to civil authority. This is not a valid legal business concern of the property manager or of the Tow Service company when on private property. Call a cop for a ticket.

Abandoned, Junk Vehicles, Wrecked Vehicles, Inoperable Vehicles, For Sale Vehicles should be tagged for time period, appropriate to Private Property situation and Business Interference problems, before towing.

Resident in Guest, No Permit, Expired permit, No Guest Permit, Guest in Resident Parking, Altered Permit, is a function of Property Management (or residents) to make call request for towing service, (not contractual responsibility) of the Towing Company.

No Parking Zone, Double Park, Blocking Dumpster, Taking 2 Spaces Parked on Grass/Curb, No Parking Zone is a function of Property Management to make call request for towing service,(not the contractual responsibility) of the Towing Company.

Commercial Vehicles, Resident in Commercial is a Property Manager required call

Fire Lane, may be a legitimate reason for a tow company to notify the property manager that towing should be initiated. I doubt the concern is so grave that towing should occur without the knowledge of the Property manager, unless the tow is ordered by civil authorities.

C) Property Manager / Authorized Personnel are required to call in vehicles or special situations.
    This responsibility should be understood, and not an option to check
    2) WHAT DOES “By signing below both parties acknowledge that they are the authorized agents and agree to all the terms and conditions stated in the above Towing Service Contract” MEAN?

Is this confusing statement in a legal contract suggesting or stating that the Tow Truck Operator and the Tow Service Company are becoming authorized agents of the business contracting them, and there by giving them responsible authority to tow when every they as ‘Authorized Agents’ make a decision to tow a vehicle on their property?
    If the statement is simply saying that only they will be called for towing service because they paid for the signs, the statement should be so stated.

3) Contract Renewal

Contract renewal does not allow for review of Service Needs, and simply rolls over unless termination is received in a specified 30 day window. Contract renewal should be an active process requiring the current property manager to take a moment to reflect on the past 12 months of services with a notification of exactly how many towing events have occurred on the property.
    Any Complaints to Consumer Affairs should be brought to the attention of the Property Manager for possible review of current business practices concerning business patron needs, and their effectiveness in meeting the goals of the business. They should not be addressed by the Towing Company independent of the Property Manager.

It is hoped that the Virginia Board of Towing & Recovery Operators will make a review of other contracts and give guidelines on the construction of all Terrestrial Private Property Towing Service Contracts in the State. An improperly written and interpreted contract can lead to abusive predatory practices without the knowledge and consent of the Property Managers.

Talking to Virginia Cops - Update

If you have any doubt that Virginia cops know how to do their job, this Frontline (limited viewing time) should set you straight.

............................ http://video.pbs.org/video/1637166286

STATE SPONSORED TOWING ZONE SCAM

http://wikibin.org/articles/virginia-towing-laws-4.html

http://www.thenewspaper.com/news/05/565.asp

http://eliabenari.wordpress.com/tag/predatory-towing/

http://towingutopia.blogspot.com/200...y-to-kill.html

Virginia Beach

Towing scheme
    http://findarticles.com/p/news-artic.../ai_n54204676/
    Predatory towing is a dark force in Virginia Beach. My 4-year- old son and I were stranded in the parking lot of Pacific Plaza on Wednesday while shopping at several local businesses. We had been on vacation in Virginia Beach and spent a few thousand dollars. Having our car towed was our $125 Virginia Beach tax and a big thank you for vacationing in Virginia Beach.

The tow truck operator was flat wrong in removing my car. I was patronizing the businesses of Pacific Plaza. We stopped by one shop and then were walking up the street to another to pick up our photos before heading out of town. I did not realize I had to move my car every time we went into a different business.

While we were waiting for our cab driver to take us to the impound lot, I witnessed the tow driver hiding in wait. He swooped up another car with North Carolina plates as we waited. During our ride to the impound lot, our cab driver told us that being towed in Virginia Beach was commonplace and that we were lucky because the other towing company impound lot was 15 miles out of town.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/a-1-towing-s...nia-alexandria
    My girlfriends Honda just got towed. She has a handicap sticker on the car, parked in a handicap spot, with proper apartment pass. It was 3 am, she's in the same exact spot she's parked in for 1 year. I happen to sit up and I see through my window, the tow guy taking a picture of her car. I threw on my pants and flew out the door and three flights of stairs. They saw me jumped in the tow truck , and sped away, so, I checked the car, it was parked on the line a bit, so I moved it, made sure both passes were on it, went back upstairs. About 15 mins later, they came back, and I saw them, this time tho they were half way down the street... when I got back upstairs, my girlfriend was on the phone with them, they said her safety inspection had expired. Told her it wasn't there problem, cost 125. I don't see why they drove away, when they coulda just told me. But instead they felt it was better to take from a handicap person... cowards, pushes, bullies. I wish there was something I/we could do. I've seen them pull 11 cars out of here in one hour.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12