Detective Injured
Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Detective Injured

If you have not heard, a Detective in D1 was injured this past Monday while attempting to complete the fitness challenge. Since the injury he has been hospitalized and had emergency surgery on his leg. I could care less about the conversation as to why only Dets have to complete the fitness challenge to maintain their rank. It made me sick to my stomach that on Friday just before his emergency surgery his Sgt was more concerned about have a conversation with him about taking a voluntary demotion then taking his sorry A$$ up there to see him.
    When did we start caring more about a stupid fitness course then the people that have worked here for 22yrs.

Re: Detective Injured

This is sad.

I can not believe that his sergeant did not go and visit one of his troops who was in the hospital that was located less than 1.5 miles from his office. But then why so surprise? I do not think that one supervisor, including his major, have even bothered to call or visit their employee to see how he is, an employee that someone has already said was one day away from losing his foot. This is a classic example as to what has gone wrong at HCSO.

Well if staff wants to know what is wrong with this agency today I suggest they take a long hard look in the mirror.

Maybe the Sheriff should have legal take a look at this "white paper"

http://fitforce.org/documents/Micros..._CIAR.0307.pdf

1. JOB RELATEDNESS – Civil Rights Act of 1964 and the Americans with
    Disabilities Act (ADA) of 1991.
    Both of these Acts requires that for an agency to use a test as:
    • an employment standard for hiring
    • for completion of training
    • for incumbent retention
    • for incumbent promotion
    it must be job related. This means that the test score must be predictive of the
    ability to perform the essential functions of the job and be of business necessity.
    The test standard must be able to predict those who can do the job and those who
    can not.
    So can someone tell me how this test is job related to detectives only and not others that perform the same tasks?

Par for the course. Who was the detective? or at least where was he assigned?

the d1 det injuried had high stats for over 10 yrs. I would put his arrests against most in the agency. he probably has more arrests then most of staff put ALL together. He has served the tax payers well but you have to look like a pt stud doing it I guess. His sgt should be ashamed of himself.

this is a very sad state of affairs....the only interest the Supervisors had was trying to Bully the detective into a voluntary demotion.. the detective not only had to have surgery to save his leg..absolute fact...but had massive bruising on his chests and arms from running the “fitness Challenge”.
    He was ordered to run the course when the ambient temperature was 109 degrees. After the injury which he reported , no assistance to get medical care, he was on his own, the inquiry’s from the office was for him to surrender his car.... because he did not complete the Fitness challenge ,, the office was more interested in punishing him then making sure he was OK ...the Detective was completing the Fitness challenge ...when he was injured...He did not give up...he was injured and could not continue...
    the only way I know how to describe this is the office vicious

When something like this happens, you can see the true color of the person!

YES THIS IS VERY SAD!!!! A great Detective, he gave alot of years. And this is what he gets, trying to see how to punishing him! So they take away his car, not careing for his injury. Let me see the Major, or Sergeant pass the Fitness test??? What a joke. How curl, and vicious can some people be!!! No medical care, no call to see if he's okay. He was so close to lose his leg, and who know now how his leg will heal right or he will walk right again, all because of a stupid wall that some superman made up two years ago. This is a real shame..........

To my count, so far, we have 1 death, 4 heart attacks, and countless injuries due to this stupid macho $hit that Napoleon dreamed up. Wonder how much it has cost our insurance? AND when their attorney says we know the law suits are coming and we are ready. They want loyalty, and have no idea what it means, unless it is one of the "Golden Boys." They have run this place in the ground.

Quote Originally Posted by Guest
    To my count, so far, we have 1 death, 4 heart attacks, and countless injuries due to this stupid macho $hit that Napoleon dreamed up. Wonder how much it has cost our insurance? AND when their attorney says we know the law suits are coming and we are ready. They want loyalty, and have no idea what it means, unless it is one of the "Golden Boys." They have run this place in the ground.

Also please dont forget that there have already been others, 2 of which I know were great detectives that left the detective area due to the fact that they have documented work related injuries that kept them from passing certain parts of the test. 1 of them took the test more then once and almost severely reinjured himself while giving it his all at the time and had to miss 1 or 2 days work afterward due to real bad soreness where he was injured. Same thing happened.......he got pressure from his Sgt, Lt & Capt and almost had a stress attack over the whole thing because he had invested so much prior time & energy working his tail off for this office and now among everything else, he loses his detective position and sent back to patrol. Somebody please tell me what is going on at this place right now, as everybody is complaining and extremely unhappy with what is being allowed to DESTROY this office. Something has got to be done soon, or I feel this office is going to lose control of it's troops out of sheer lack of leadership and the fact that it is showing up more and more how much they could care less about their people. I am telling you that for a fact, this is without a doubt the worst time I can ever remember at HCSO and it just keeps getting worse. WTF cares about a dumb azz fitness course that proves NOTHING and is injuring our fellow brothers & sisters. By the way, it's not just for detectives either, cause they are making anyone applying for master positions pass the course as well. It has literally gotten completely out of hand and all I can picture is certain staff members just sitting in their offices and laughing about it. The more detectives & deputies they hurt, the better they must feel about it or they would have done something a long time ago. Like so many, I wish I could retire today, and regardless of years on I still think I may, because none of us mean anything to the powers downtown and this job right now ruins your health, both mentally & physically. Unless some things drastically change this office will be doomed in less than 2 years and MANY outside lawyers will be representing current & ex detectives and deputies. It just has to happen and I got a feeling it won't be very long. NO, HCSO didn't need a union...yea right! :x

"Ability to meet such specific physical requirements as may be established by competent authority."

The above sentence is listed in the Civil Service descriptions for every Sheriff's Office Law Enforcement position, protected by Civil Service, as a possible requirement under the title: KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, & ABILITIES.

Why has the Sheriff elected to only enforce this section on the detectives. Do so is nothing more than the Sheriff, for what ever reason, discriminating against the men and women that hold these positions.

One must ask why the Sheriff has elected not to have a sliding scale for this test as the person in this position ages. Is the Sheriff using this requirement as a way to remove older detectives from this position?

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast