Tampa area Ranked 4th most stressful place in Nation
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tampa area Ranked 4th most stressful place in Nation

For those of you who did not hear the news yesterday, the Tampa Bay area was ranked by Forbes Magazine as the 4th most stressful place to live in the nation. No surprise to me. Add in all the extra stress that this office now creates on top of it and is it any wonder why everybody always seems to be in a lousy stressed out mood. Wonder what will be the negative news from HCSO leadership today..

The only cities that ranked higher were #1 Las Vegas, #2 Los Angeles and #3 Houston.

Re: Tampa area Ranked 4th most stressful place in Nation

There's nothing like taking a headline from an unscientific poll and blowing it up to be a big deal when it's not.

Forbes' "report" was based on arbitrary "metrics" selected by Forbes that can either "cause or be caused" by stress.

Interestingly, working conditions was not one of the "metrics."

Tampa was ranked #4 only in the area of poor physical health, based on statistics from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and the percentage of the population who ranked their health poor or fair in 2008. Do you remember ranking your health back then; I don't. Where do they get these phony statistics?

Tampa was ranked #9 for limited exercise. There's only one person to blame for limited exercise - the individual. If you don't exercise in Tampa, that's your fault!

Tampa was ranked #13 for limited health care. Limited health care!
    --- TGH is a full Trauma Center, unsurpassed in heart care, and with multiple locations.
    --- UCH has multiple locations, the Pepin Heart Institute and a specialized women's hospital.
    --- St. Joseph's has multiple locations, a specialized birthing hospital and a specialized children's hospital.
    --- Shriner's Children's Hospital is famous.
    --- Moffitt Cancer Center is one of the six premier cancer treatment and research facilities in the United States.
    --- There are a multitude of other adequate hospitals scattered throughout the area.

Don't take the Forbes report too seriously.

Good post, they grass is not always greener on the other side. Every city has it's own problems, same with different agencies. Just be thankful you wear the badge, get a decent paycheck and hopefully... have fun on occasion. :cop:

Quote Originally Posted by Don't buy the nonsense.
    There's nothing like taking a headline from an unscientific poll and blowing it up to be a big deal when it's not.

Forbes' "report" was based on arbitrary "metrics" selected by Forbes that can either "cause or be caused" by stress.

Interestingly, working conditions was not one of the "metrics."

Tampa was ranked #4 only in the area of poor physical health, based on statistics from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and the percentage of the population who ranked their health poor or fair in 2008. Do you remember ranking your health back then; I don't. Where do they get these phony statistics?

Tampa was ranked #9 for limited exercise. There's only one person to blame for limited exercise - the individual. If you don't exercise in Tampa, that's your fault!

Tampa was ranked #13 for limited health care. Limited health care!
    --- TGH is a full Trauma Center, unsurpassed in heart care, and with multiple locations.
    --- UCH has multiple locations, the Pepin Heart Institute and a specialized women's hospital.
    --- St. Joseph's has multiple locations, a specialized birthing hospital and a specialized children's hospital.
    --- Shriner's Children's Hospital is famous.
    --- Moffitt Cancer Center is one of the six premier cancer treatment and research facilities in the United States.
    --- There are a multitude of other adequate hospitals scattered throughout the area.

Don't take the Forbes report too seriously.
    I don't know about that. The first thing that every senior deputy says is, I am out of this s#ithole area as soon as I retire. The overwhelming majority are leaving Florida entirely. I guess you just get tired of dealing with everyones problems and all the thugs on a daily basis and know just how many thugs and crazy people live in this area. After 25 years of dealing with these people everyday, all you want to do is get as far away as possible from any urban areas and destress.

North Carolina here I come!

Quote Originally Posted by SC NC TN
    thanks, Teddy.

ANYPLACE BUT HILLSBOROUGH COUNTY FOR ME PLEASE. I have lived in many other areas and Tampa has been by far the worst yet. If this area is all you know and you have not traveled to other areas of the country, please do yourself a favor and go see what your missing. I recommend the Northwest U.S. or like the other posted stated, areas of North Carolina, Tennessee, South Carolina and don't forget about North Georgia. After you have been to any of these places for a matter of time and come back to Hillsborough County, you see real quickly how much this area is nothing but thugville.

Quote Originally Posted by Guest
    ANYPLACE BUT HILLSBOROUGH COUNTY FOR ME PLEASE. I have lived in many other areas and Tampa has been by far the worst yet. If this area is all you know and you have not traveled to other areas of the country, please do yourself a favor and go see what your missing. I recommend the Northwest U.S. or like the other posted stated, areas of North Carolina, Tennessee, South Carolina and don't forget about North Georgia. After you have been to any of these places for a matter of time and come back to Hillsborough County, you see real quickly how much this area is nothing but thugville.
    My criteria for a place to live are two: Sea level, no snow.

I carry a gun and can cope with anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by My criteria
    I carry a gun and can cope with anything else.

While this may be true of me as well I would prefer to retire in a place where I would'nt feel the need to carry a firearm 24/7.

Quote Originally Posted by Guest
    Amen. Being born and raised here in Hillsborough County I have seen where this place was and what it has become. It's not the same place it once was and I don't mean that in a good way. Thank the man above that I spent a fair amount of time in the military and traveled all over these here United States as well as many places overseas. I got to see what is out there and that there are many places better than the Tampa Bay area. I own a place out of this state and have every intention of heading there permanently when I decide to retire.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast