My reason for a Union...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Talking My reason for a Union...

I want a counterbalance to the unchecked power of my employer

Re: My reason for a Union...

Those powers afforded to all Sheriff's within this state are provided under the state constitution. No union will ever have the power to change that so your argument for a union is a lost cause.

As the guy from Collier has been trying to inform you each of us needs to understand that the things you believe a union can resolve or change can not be so UNLESS the sheriff himself allows it; and that my friend you can rest assured will not happen. Union or not...

Next reason...

Quote Originally Posted by Legal Rights
    Those powers afforded to all Sheriff's within this state are provided under the state constitution. No union will ever have the power to change that so your argument for a union is a lost cause.

As the guy from Collier has been trying to inform you each of us needs to understand that the things you believe a union can resolve or change can not be so UNLESS the sheriff himself allows it; and that my friend you can rest assured will not happen. Union or not...

Next reason...
    Once the members of a union decide on a contract and the contract is presented and signed the sheriff must abide by the contract under law. He cannot do what he wants as you state and ignore it. If so, he will be sued and in clear violation of the contract costing the agency and taxpayers money just because he is violating a contract at free will. This will also cost him any type of reelection and if gross violations occur that are illegal and unethical, could cost him to be replaced by the governor.
    People, don't let a few, not even from our agency, try and know what is going on in our own house. They don't We do and We see it everyday. The sheriff acting as king mighty is all the more reason to have a union for protection of our rights and benefits written in a contract. When that happens despite what this individual says, the sheriff cannot deviate from that and change that. It would be political suicide in his part and if intentional could cost him his job. Everyone can be replaced even the sheriff. There have been a few sheriffs replaced in this state some just suspended then replaced for violating the law. The union will give us the leverage and extra support we need to protect our rights and ensure the sheriff and his staff members are in line with the law.

I find it interesting how those who are not "for" unions have a habit of rewriting the authority of a Sheriff to reflect that nobody can tell a Sheriff what to do.

In one respect they are correct, the Sheriff must uphold the laws on the books. Those who oppose unions have ignored the fact that a union contract is by nature a law by which that particular Sheriff's Office will be governed by. Failure to comply can result in charges, especially if they are violated on purpose by the Sheriff.

Sheriff's don't like unions, why, because they inhabit the Sheriff from doing whatever the Sheriff wants to do. Some agencies have in place a civil service board, this sometimes works and assist in governing the agency. At LCSO the civil service board is nothing more than an arm of the Sheriff. If the Sheriff had no say as to the membership, then, perhaps the civil service board could be fair. However, this is not the case. The Sheriff has a representative to vote on his behalf, the command staff have a representative, and we all know who they will side on, and the member at large, who is usually picked by or suggested by the Sheriff, to sit on the board. In other words, the lower end of the rank have two votes and the top end has three.

A union represents the lower end of the rank scale.

Once the members of a union decide on a contract and the contract is presented and signed the sheriff must abide by the contract under law. He cannot do what he wants as you state and ignore it. If so, he will be sued and in clear violation of the contract costing the agency and taxpayers money just because he is violating a contract at free will. This will also cost him any type of reelection and if gross violations occur that are illegal and unethical, could cost him to be replaced by the governor.
    People, don't let a few, not even from our agency, try and know what is going on in our own house. They don't We do and We see it everyday. The sheriff acting as king mighty is all the more reason to have a union for protection of our rights and benefits written in a contract. When that happens despite what this individual says, the sheriff cannot deviate from that and change that. It would be political suicide in his part and if intentional could cost him his job. Everyone can be replaced even the sheriff. There have been a few sheriffs replaced in this state some just suspended then replaced for violating the law. The union will give us the leverage and extra support we need to protect our rights and ensure the sheriff and his staff members are in line with the law.
    Are you kidding me? This has got to be the biggest lie or misleading post on the union subject.

Ask Naples Police department about the legal binds of a contract. They just loss half of everything they fought for during an impass only a year into the contract. It was stated that the contract was broken for the better interest of the department.

NO contract is ever binding on any police chief or sheriff.

You people are fools thinking the the answer to all of your problems is a union. I suggest your members actually talk to those that are actualy in a union and find out for yourself. A union means squat, the contract means squat.

The only guarentee is that they take money out of my check every payday.

Try having a union that does not take dues. If the union is truly for the people then stop taking our money!!

Create a free union and i'll bite!

I'm confused, where has the Civil Service Board failed. Which cases are you referring too. I know of a few the board overturned. One resulted in the deputy getting his suspension removed and his money returned to him, he paid for lost equipment. All the others have been so cut and dry, i'm not sure what the point was.

Please post which cases the Civil Services has failed us.

Cool Re: My reason for a Union...

A free union? Why don't you go to work for free. That's just idiot speak! Nobody works for you for free, just as you don't. You anti- union people have obviously never had union representation in a past job... Oh, my bad, this is your first job. Experience matters! Vote IUPA. Don't bite the wormless hook, people. Stand up and make your vote count for the betterment of you & your family. It's as plain as day but many of you can't see it. The sheriff himself has a union yet uses scare tactics to get you to fold. I, myself, can only tell you that a no vote will keep you in the same low paid place that we are already in... And, again, Naples PD... 50k to start - not 34k like here. The choice is yours to make, don't be intimidated by the few or those scared to lose the precious assignment. If you vote yes you can still elect to not pay union dues... If after a year or two you're not happier, just do what the anti-unionists say, vote them out. I'm willing to bet we won't want to do that!

Rise Up! Promote the Vote!

Cool Re: My reason for a Union...

Una*unión*libre?*¿Por*qué*no*ir*a*trabajar*de*form a*gratuita.*Eso*es*tonto*hablar!*Nadie*trabaja*par a*usted*de*forma*gratuita,*al*igual*que*no*hacer.* Ustedes*antisindical*nunca*han*tenido,*obviamente, *la*representación*sindical*en*un*empleo*pasado*.. .*Oh,*mi*mal,*este*es*tu*primer*trabajo.*La*experi encia*cuenta!*Votación*IUPA.*No*muerda*el*anzuelo* wormless,*la*gente.*Ponte*de*pie*y*que*su*voto*cue nte*para*el*mejoramiento*de*usted*y*su*familia.*Es *tan*claro*como*el*día,*pero*muchos*de*ustedes*no* pueden*ver.*El*propio*comisario*constituye*una*uni ón*aún*asusta*al*tener*que*doblar.*Por*mi*parte,*s ólo*puedo*decir*que*un*voto*de*no*te*mantendrá*en* el*mismo*lugar*con*salarios*bajos*que*ya*estamos*p ulg*..*Y,*de*nuevo,*Nápoles*PD*...*50k*para*empeza r*-*34k*no*como*aquí.*La*elección*es*suya,*no*se*deje *intimidar*por*los*pocos*o*aquellos*miedo*a*perder *la*asignación*preciosos.*Si*usted*vota*sí*todavía *puede*optar*por*no*pagar*las*cuotas*sindicales*.. .*Si*después*de*un*año*o*dos*no*estás*feliz,*simpl emente*hacer*lo*que*el*anti-sindicalistas*decir,*que*voten*a*cabo.*Estoy*dispu esto*a*apostar*que*no*va*a*querer*hacer*eso!

Rise*Up!*Promover*el*Voto!

Quote Originally Posted by Bob11
    A free union? Why don't you go to work for free. That's just idiot speak! Nobody works for you for free, just as you don't. You anti- union people have obviously never had union representation in a past job... Oh, my bad, this is your first job. Experience matters! Vote IUPA. Don't bite the wormless hook, people. Stand up and make your vote count for the betterment of you & your family. It's as plain as day but many of you can't see it. The sheriff himself has a union yet uses scare tactics to get you to fold. I, myself, can only tell you that a no vote will keep you in the same low paid place that we are already in... And, again, Naples PD... 50k to start - not 34k like here. The choice is yours to make, don't be intimidated by the few or those scared to lose the precious assignment. If you vote yes you can still elect to not pay union dues... If after a year or two you're not happier, just do what the anti-unionists say, vote them out. I'm willing to bet we won't want to do that!

Rise Up! Promote the Vote!
    Are you saying a union "Works" for you? What part of their duties on a local level costs money? All the dues you pay go to support union needs not yous.

NPD starts at $50,000 a year because the cost of living set that figure at that price. They also do not have a take-home car and many other benefits that the sheriff's office provides (All of which costs money). Oh and by the way that was $50,000 - now take away 6% plus numerous other beni's... Ask them what the union has done for them and what all of their dues has gone for. I know many of them and they all wish they had that money back in their pocket.

Take a look at this photo folks; This is what a union will do for you!

http://www.naplesnews.com/photos/galler ... alary-cut/

P.S.

Yea I don't work for free but I don't pay someone good money for no results either!

Sorry I forgot to attach the URL command:

http://www.naplesnews.com/photos/gal...et-salary-cut/

And by the way IUPA commnader is only in this so he can be the President and attend all of the cool conferences on your dues money. Road trip after road trip, you will never see this guy again as you fund his Club Paradise Position!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast