Alex Sink

Thread: Alex Sink

Alex Sink

I am a registered Republican, but I have to say that I am seriously giving consideration to voting for Alex Sink. I have looked at Rick Scott's website and Bill Mccollum's. Both of them only say they want to bring accountability to state government. Rick Scott is proposing no more pay raises and wants us to pay into our own retirement.

The PBA is endorsing Sink and here is a clip from her website about pay for state employees:

Reforming the State Workforce

The face of Florida government is reflected by the efforts of its employees, whose contributions are intended to help people, businesses, communities, and overall quality of life. Compensating public employees fairly is essential, because without the ability to attract and retain well-trained and knowledgeable staff, Florida government cannot deliver the programs and services that citizens depend on. Florida already is not competitive in this area compared to other Florida industries and even other states. In fact, state government employees have not had a general pay raise in the past five years. In 2008, the average annual state employee salary of $38,839 was 4.5 percent below Florida's average wage for all industries. Compared to other states, Florida ranks last in the ratio of employees to residents: 118 per 10,000 compared to the national average of 216 employees per 10,000 residents. And Florida is dead last in the nation in state employee payroll expenditures per resident: $38 compared to the national average of $69 per resident. As Governor, Alex Sink will push to ensure that state employees are recognized for high performance by receiving fair and competitive compensation.

Re: Alex Sink

Alex all the way.

I am a Republican, but Rick Scott scares me. Some of his proposals are: to reduce government workforce. This may sound good but they usually cut the rank and file employees first when reducing government. Another plan, Scott wants to do away with the Florida Retirement System, (which would also be DROP) and put everybody on a 401K plan. I don't know this would affect officers with 15-20 or more years on the job. Scott also thinks that all state employees make all the money they need, and employees don't need a pay raise. Don't worry Scott, the state is so broke we won't get a raise anyway.

I am sure some bills will come out of the Lesislature, (as did last year) that will effect our pay, retirement pay or plans, drop percentage pay or whatever, and I don't think Scott will veto any of them. I not saying Alex Sink will veto them, but I do think we have a better chance for her to veto them than Scott. These are some of the reasons I am going to vote for Sink.

I am a Republican too, and I don't trust Scott. He is a Billionaire that spent over 300 times more than he will ever make just on the nomination. The only messages he has put out is that he is going to reduce government, particularly regulatory agencies, cut taxes, and that anyone running against him works for Obama. How is he supposed to help the public? Property taxes were cut with the understanding it wouldn't effect public safety or teachers, it resulted in layoffs and elimination of vital positions. The economy is still in a mess.
    Is anyone picking up on this? His company received the highest fine in history for overcharging the public....don't regulatory agencies catch companies and individuals defrauding the public? If regulatory agencies are done away with, what stops companies like his from doing it again? Am I the only one who thinks he might be doing it for a personal reason?