Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: free coffee

Re: free coffee

Quote Originally Posted by veteranrookie
    Quote Originally Posted by Guest
    Why do cops get free coffee :?:

If you and I were doctors your family would get free treatment from me, and vice versa....money is not the only thing that has value in this world.

Yeah that's right. It's called barter and when you do something for someone else there's an explicit expectation that you'll be doing something for them in return. So what do you do in return for all the free stuff the stores give you? huh? What is it that you give them in return?

What's the departments policy on accepting gratuities in the form of freebies anyway? Where do they draw the line on you getting free stuff while on duty?

I'm betting most of you would find a new store to park your cruiser out front of everyday if your current squeeze stopped giving you freebies to show their appreciation.
    It's coffee, for christ sake. Not a brand new sports car, or a bag of money. Or can you not see what we're talking about perched up so high on that horse of yours? Sir, you can kiss my rebel a**
    LOL, I asked a simple question. Why are you getting so indignant and evading the question? You really want to know what i see? I see you rationalizing something that you know is wrong. "It's only coffee and snacks. It's not like i'm taking cash bribes in return for giving them extra special attention during my shift, so what's the big deal?"

Your a cop. People are going to offer you free stuff to get on your good side. It's up to you to have the integritiy to insist on paying for it anyway. Instead you choose to rationalize and take advantage of your position for your own gain. What a fine public servant you are, Sir! /sarcasm

Why does your agency allow this? Where I work taking a small thing is the same as taking a large thing. It is not tolerated. If someone steals a candy bar is it the same charge as stealing a t.v.? Are you going to accept a new car, or just hotdogs and soda/coffee?

Quote Originally Posted by eyewitness/confused
    Why does your agency allow this? Where I work taking a small thing is the same as taking a large thing. It is not tolerated. If someone steals a candy bar is it the same charge as stealing a t.v.? Are you going to accept a new car, or just hotdogs and soda/coffee?
    Gratuity is defined as: something given voluntarily or beyond obligation usually for some service; especially : tip
    Hmmm, lets see if we can put this into perspective.

I walk into my favorite starbucks and order a $4.00 coffee. I have my cash in hand and ask what I owe and they say we provide coffee free to public service workers (Store policy) Gratuity right? something given voluntarily or beyond obligation usually for some service. So I place $2.00 dollars in the tip jar and say thank you (my policy) Gratuity right? something given voluntarily or beyond obligation usually for some service; especially: tip

So in reality all we have done is voluntarily exchanged appreciation beyond obligation for each others service : we have tipped each other. Sounds like respect on both sides and beyond this no one expects anything further from each other.

But if you walk in and expect something and give nothing in return then the perception and act is one-sided, selfish and makes us all look bad. Fortunately I have never seen any of the cops I hang out with act this way. So maybe the civilian who is complaining is only assuming that this is what is taking place but reality is that we have given each other something that we both can appreciate.

I think you are trying to make a bigger deal out of this than what needs to be.

Just my .02 cents

Why do cops get free coffee :?:

If you and I were doctors your family would get free treatment from me, and vice versa....money is not the only thing that has value in this world.

Yeah that's right. It's called barter and when you do something for someone else there's an explicit expectation that you'll be doing something for them in return. So what do you do in return for all the free stuff the stores give you? huh? What is it that you give them in return?

What's the departments policy on accepting gratuities in the form of freebies anyway? Where do they draw the line on you getting free stuff while on duty?

I'm betting most of you would find a new store to park your cruiser out front of everyday if your current squeeze stopped giving you freebies to show their appreciation.
    It's coffee, for christ sake. Not a brand new sports car, or a bag of money. Or can you not see what we're talking about perched up so high on that horse of yours? Sir, you can kiss my rebel a**
    LOL, I asked a simple question. Why are you getting so indignant and evading the question? You really want to know what i see? I see you rationalizing something that you know is wrong. "It's only coffee and snacks. It's not like i'm taking cash bribes in return for giving them extra special attention during my shift, so what's the big deal?"

Your a cop. People are going to offer you free stuff to get on your good side. It's up to you to have the integritiy to insist on paying for it anyway. Instead you choose to rationalize and take advantage of your position for your own gain. What a fine public servant you are, Sir! /sarcasm
    You can insist on paying all you want. But if its that stores policy it will get you no where and only make the people behind you wait longer. Besides most of the places dont offer free coffee anyway. Does your job have a breakroom with a coffee pot? I bet you pay every time you grab a cup right? Didnt think so. They are giving you free coffee to keep you alert and wake so you work your best. Quit crying about a non issue. You should be crying about something that actually effects you like why does the SAO office drop so many cases and let criminals go free. That is who is going to break into your unlocked car tonight or worse.

I usually get my free coffee from the jerkstore while I am on the way to dropping off my off my union dues. I love paying union dues it's kind of like when I pay my ex wife her alimony each month. Lot's of promises and nothing in return. And so goes the cash register of life... :?

Quote Originally Posted by Jerkstore
    I usually get my free coffee from the jerkstore while I am on the way to dropping off my off my union dues. I love paying union dues it's kind of like when I pay my ex wife her alimony each month. Lot's of promises and nothing in return. And so goes the cash register of life... :?

Now that is profound :!:

Okay Paradise and George, what about the discounted (and sometimes free) apartments provided to deputies. These deputies act as "courtesy officers" in the complex and receive the free/discounted rate. Plainly a quid pro quo. Go ahead gentlemen, defend this......

I agree, Just because your a cop, you should not get favortism or anyhting that Joe the plumber does not get! This issue has been an issue for many of decades, and as long as the upper staff participate, and they do, this issue will be just what it is, acceptable. If things are set up or arranged thru the agency, like rent free apartments, it is what the sheriff allows, then so be it. This all is what is acceptable by the sheriff, the deputies just go along with everyone else in the agency. Now go write tickets, exept to the clerks. :cop:

Quote Originally Posted by Fed Up
    I agree, Just because your a cop, you should not get favortism or anyhting that Joe the plumber does not get! This issue has been an issue for many of decades, and as long as the upper staff participate, and they do, this issue will be just what it is, acceptable. If things are set up or arranged thru the agency, like rent free apartments, it is what the sheriff allows, then so be it. This all is what is acceptable by the sheriff, the deputies just go along with everyone else in the agency. Now go write tickets, exept to the clerks. :cop:
    Well, if Joe the plumber is on call 24 hours a day to respond to the apartment managers needs...then he should get a discount. These deputies agree to be woken up at 3am to repond to your noise compliant, kids loitering around, etc. If teh apartment complex didnt want them there, they wouldnt offer it.

AS for coffe, who cares? Most convenience stores offer it for free to many people including cops. Guess what else! We generally dont write speeding tickets to eachother! thats right.

Okay Paradise and George, what about the discounted (and sometimes free) apartments provided to deputies. These deputies act as "courtesy officers" in the complex and receive the free/discounted rate. Plainly a quid pro quo. Go ahead gentlemen, defend this......
    Lets see -

The local church contracts with the sheriff's office (As do many private communities) to pay for a deputy to sit in their lot for several hours during service to stop traffic when the service lets out, thereby, making a convience for their guests. The private communities pay for the deputy to patrol in their neighborhood to deter thefts, etc...

So having an apartment complex donate an apartment to have a marked patrol car and deputy on the premis for an extended amount of time makes financial sense. This is no different than the school system allowing deputies to live on the property for free.

Every profession has its perks and as long as it does not impede in the execution of your duties then it should be acceptable. Could someone get a favor in return for free stuff, sure, but you address that individual not the procedure.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast