Budget and Cuts - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Budget and Cuts

Re: Budget and Cuts

Quote Originally Posted by Guest
    Well if they do take any more money at least me and my family will qualify for food stamps and the Save Our Homes Plan that Obama put into place. What a JOKE! I can not even think of how we will surive if they take anymore away. It is clear that the dollar today is not what it was 4 years ago yet we have recieved NO increase in pay at all. Whats more dicougageing is to see people hired in 2008, with a base salary of over 50k a year when you have Deputies that have been commited to THIS AGENCY since 2003 and 2004 just barely breaking 40k. So ask yourself.......FAIR?

I guess if your one of the lucky ones that can drive around checking to make sure the gated communites are still gated, while wearing Gucci glasses, and hob nobbing it with free golf and goodies, all while makeing over 50k a year and not 65ing while being hired just a year ago....... then it would be. For the rest of us peeons (400+) its just another day of being underappreciated. I hope change is in sight soon, but I fear we have several more years before things even start to get better.

AMEN BROTHER! We were in such a "great" hurry to get rid of RS that we took anyone who we thought would make it better, "one of us" was the words used. We never thought that this man would be so "self-centered" that he would destroy us in order to keep the job as Sheriff. Who knew he'd planned having so many low ranking people promoted to high paying executive positions, guess that's what we get when a Corporal becomes Sheriff.

Just who are the hardest working members in the LCSO? When I refer to hardest working members, I refer to their down time, time not spend on continuous work, unable to stop, less the work will not be done and/or someone will be endanger.

Look communications, the 9-1-1 call takers, they can't stop, dispatchers must be alert and ready, Deputies working the road just can't decide to stop what their doing and take a break, same goes for Correctional Deputies, they just can't stop watching prisoners for a while and hope all goes well. Each of these four positions must do their job at 100% efficiency all the time, less someone gets hurt or needs immediate help. Yet, these members are at the low end of the scale when it comes to appreciation. Managers, Directors and other civilian supervisors and executive staff seem to be at the top end, they get the raises, or new appointments.

Look at the number of unnecessary units/assignments that could be combined to reduce the number of personnel. Look at their down time, are they constantly working as the mentioned four position, NO they are not.

Each commander has a secretary, is this secretary constantly busy as the four positions mentioned, NO they are not, yet they make more than anyone of the four positions members.

The four positions mentioned make the wheel go round, they are the grease that ensure the gears don't come to a complete stop, yet, they are denied a right to vote whether of not they want to be represented by a union who can watch over them.
    And may I add this, it was these members working in those positions mentioned that went out and campaigned for MS, waved signs, put up signs, got neighbors and relatives to vote for him, boy were we fooooooled!!!!!!

Well if they do take any more money at least me and my family will qualify for food stamps and the Save Our Homes Plan that Obama put into place. What a JOKE! I can not even think of how we will surive if they take anymore away. It is clear that the dollar today is not what it was 4 years ago yet we have recieved NO increase in pay at all. Whats more dicougageing is to see people hired in 2008, with a base salary of over 50k a year when you have Deputies that have been commited to THIS AGENCY since 2003 and 2004 just barely breaking 40k. So ask yourself.......FAIR?

I guess if your one of the lucky ones that can drive around checking to make sure the gated communites are still gated, while wearing Gucci glasses, and hob nobbing it with free golf and goodies, all while makeing over 50k a year and not 65ing while being hired just a year ago....... then it would be. For the rest of us peeons (400+) its just another day of being underappreciated. I hope change is in sight soon, but I fear we have several more years before things even start to get better.
    I and my family are right behind you, hope the lines aren't to long.

not that i wanna jeopordize equipment but basically the oldest cars in the fleet for every day use are 2007s, the majority of the people driving 2006s have gotten 2010s and their cars are now fleet spares. Not for nothing, but agencies around us have cars as old as 2003s on the road for everyday use. I like having a new car and all, but i would rather drive my car for another year or two than have people laid off, have my benefits taken, etc etc. Just saying

And to think, the head auto mechanic is making twice the pay of a Deputy.

not that i wanna jeopordize equipment but basically the oldest cars in the fleet for every day use are 2007s, the majority of the people driving 2006s have gotten 2010s and their cars are now fleet spares. Not for nothing, but agencies around us have cars as old as 2003s on the road for everyday use. I like having a new car and all, but i would rather drive my car for another year or two than have people laid off, have my benefits taken, etc etc. Just saying
    True, we can always retire cars at 115 to 120k instead of 100k. The bigger picture to look at would be from fleet management standpoint. Does that extra year justifies the extra expense it accumulates due to maintenance cost and lower auction resale value. In the end, it might be cheaper to replace it at 100k when you crunch the numbers.

That 2003 is nothing but a money pit and will yield less than $1000 at an auction, where an 06 will go for $4-6,000.

Re: Budget and Cuts MORE CUTS!!

Well, as I have said for months, the clinic that opened is no coincidence. I am not surprised that the possibility of our health benefits being cut or the discussion of us paying for our premiums for health insurance if we don't use the clinic is becoming a reality. It makes even more sense now the sheriff wanted to delay the sergeants election possibly past the start of the new budget year.

If you check out the link below, the talks are now more serious about cuts to our salaries if we want to continue with health insurance as is since we may have to start paying for health insurance premiums. This will possibly affect retirees as well so if any are reading this, you need to get involved and put pressure on those making the decisions. Remember, when you worked here, there was, as there is now, NO contract in place that guaranteed you these benefits. Yes it was a nice package that enticed you to work here as it did for many of us, but in the end, it is at the discretion of the sheriff. Until we have a contract which guarantees us these benefits in writing, it was subject to change. (watch the clip in the link, it appears the sheriff is speaking at the podium in front of the BOCC)

http://www.winknews.com/Local-Florid...of-budget-cuts

Lee considers first round of budget cuts
    Story Created: Aug 31, 2010 at 2:42 AM America/New_York

FORT MYERS, Fla. - Lee County Commissioners need to make major cuts to balance a nearly $70 million budget shortfall. Tuesday is the first of three scheduled budget workshops for the commissioners. They are working to trim expenses and it seems everything is up for discussion at this point.

The budget committee handed over a 120 page document targeting items that could be reduced or cut altogether in order to make up the difference. That means everything from overtime to janitor services, to maintenance of vehicles are all on the block.

Employees likely face furloughs and paying for individual health insurance.

Another suggestion to save more than five million a year would cost nearly two thousand Lee County workers, 11 paid holidays.

Budget planners want commissioners to raise the tax rate but they are suggesting a smaller raise next year, 35 cents per 1000 dollars of property value.

Earlier they talked about a one dollar increase but a majority of commissioners rejected that.

The budget should be finalized by September 23rd.

Just to set the record straight, retirees already pay for a portion of their health benefits, $1200.00 per year for an employee and another six thousand per year (the family rate even though most have no additional dependants) to insure their spouse. If they want dental, eye or life insurance they pay the full premium (another $1,500.00 - $2,000.00) for the additional coverage. If retirees live or travel out-of-state they pay 30% co-pays instead of the 10% we pay at home. When at home retirees pay the same deductables and co-pays that we pay. Insurance premiums paid out-of-pocket by the retiree can and do reach $8- 10 K per year. These are the same premium amounts that the SO currently pays on our behalf. When they reach age 65 they have to buy, at their expense, part B medicare health insurance if they want to keep their SO coverage. Before you start trashing retirees, remember that some day you and I too will eventually become one (if you don't become a victim of the current vendetta mentality) and that you were hired with the expectation that after you gave your all to the job,when you became too old, too tired, too physically damaged or just able to survive 25 + years of general job abuse that you would have medical coverage as part of your retirement benefits. Of all the things that prior Sheriff's conceeded in order to appease the BOCC, the payment of health insurance premiums by employees, dependants and retirees alike was NEVER even considered.

Quote Originally Posted by Guestalso
    Just to set the record straight, retirees already pay for a portion of their health benefits, $1200.00 per year for an employee and another six thousand per year (the family rate even though most have no additional dependants) to insure their spouse. If they want dental, eye or life insurance they pay the full premium (another $1,500.00 - $2,000.00) for the additional coverage. If retirees live or travel out-of-state they pay 30% co-pays instead of the 10% we pay at home. When at home retirees pay the same deductables and co-pays that we pay. Insurance premiums paid out-of-pocket by the retiree can and do reach $8- 10 K per year. These are the same premium amounts that the SO currently pays on our behalf. When they reach age 65 they have to buy, at their expense, part B medicare health insurance if they want to keep their SO coverage. Before you start trashing retirees, remember that some day you and I too will eventually become one (if you don't become a victim of the current vendetta mentality) and that you were hired with the expectation that after you gave your all to the job,when you became too old, too tired, too physically damaged or just able to survive 25 + years of general job abuse that you would have medical coverage as part of your retirement benefits. Of all the things that prior Sheriff's conceeded in order to appease the BOCC, the payment of health insurance premiums by employees, dependants and retirees alike was NEVER even considered.

The retirees technically pay hardly anything out of pocket if they live locally for themselves for health insurance. They get a set amount of money each month for each year of service through FRS. Then through the benefits agreement they sign when they retire from the agency, they give that money to the agency to offset the cost of the health insurance. Yes they have to pay more for dental and vision, but, as for medical, there is no premiums out of pocket since it is covered nearly 100% through the agency by deferring the amount you get from FRS if you retired with more than 20 years with the agency locking in the benefits at 100%. They do have to pay premiums if retired, for dependents. The problem now because of budget cuts, is that things can change where the retirees may have to pay additional or increased premiums or be forced to go to the clinic for free healthcare. If the cost of insurance goes up and the amount of the FRS health insurance subsidy each month is not enough to offset this amount and they want to maintain their private physician, the only option is to pay the difference in the premiums. One of the major issues with our benefits unit is there is no feedback and no communication. When they make changes, it is dictated to us. We do not have a say as to what happens to the benefits changes when or if they decide to make them. Yes a union could make a difference in that where notice would have to be given and if necessary put to vote to the membership.

Put your trust in me guys to fight for you to keep your hard earned money. In fact, not only will I allow you to keep your salary, but I will increase it all by 100%. Laugh if you want, but its guaranteed! Vote YES for PBA! If you need any references please feel free to contact FMPD. They will most def vouge for me :lol: Remember I am here for you guys and that is the TRUTH! :cop:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12