BSO is qualified to protect the port.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

BSO is qualified to protect the port.

BSO is qualified to protect the port. Sun Sentinel Opinion section. August 5th, 2010 By: Al Lamberti

In your editorial on the privatization of security at Port Everglades, it is intimated that BSO's goal is to protect the "BSO empire and protect the high-paying jobs." This is certainly not the case. What we are protecting is our residents, visitors and the "economic engine" of Broward County. Public safety in a unique environment is our only concern.

Located on the grounds of the port:
    One of the world's top three largest-volume cruise terminals, serving over 3 million cruise passengers yearly.
    A fully operational fuel service site supplying 12 South Florida counties and three international airports.

A large Florida Power & Light power plant located adjacent to fuel storage facilities on the property.
    A full-service county Convention Center with adjacent parking facilities.

High-volume container operations ranking near No. 1 in container volume, a critical security risk for terrorism monitoring.
    Port Everglades has four high-security main entrances. The Port of Miami has a single entrance.
    All Port Everglades facilities are located in an open-access, urban environment with surrounding unprotected land. Considering its configuration and location, to say that Port Everglades is a high-risk security area would be an understatement.

The current security operations at Port Everglades were designed as a post-9-11 threat response, and we are mindful of those considerations. We are certainly cognizant of the economic climate that faces all county operations and have been working hard with Port Everglades officials to address all issues concerned and make the necessary adjustments that are required.

Our main focus, and our responsibility, is first to ensure public safety and the security of the millions of residents and visitors who enjoy our tourism and related business environment that Port Everglades accommodates on a daily basis.

It all boils down to experience in a very high-risk environment. As one of the recognized premier law enforcement agencies in the nation, the Broward Sheriff's Office is proven to be uniquely qualified to provide the best security services at a reasonably equivalent price in an equally as unique environment.

Al Lamberti is sheriff of Broward County.

Re: BSO is qualified to protect the port.

Good job Donnie.

Thanks sheriff

Quote Originally Posted by Port person
    Thanks sheriff
    You are welcome my bestest bootlick. Come in to see me Monday, I'll promote you to Colonel!

Port[quote=Big Al]
    Quote Originally Posted by "Port person":30t1dkat
    Thanks sheriff
    You are welcome my bestest bootlick. Come in to see me Monday, I'll promote you to Colonel![/quote:30t1dkat]

If you knew me I would be the last person you would call a bootlick. I posted this because I mean it. I certainly don't agree with everything th sheiff has done but does not matter what I think. I have had the pleasure to work in the port with alot of good hardworking folks. The privatization of the port will have a hugh impact on a alot of us. There could be several people in the unemployment line. We need all of the asistance we can get and the sheriff's comments were appreciated by many of of us.

[quote=Port person]Port[quote="Big Al":3rpknbu7][quote="Port person":3rpknbu7]Thanks sheriff[/quote]

You are welcome my bestest bootlick. Come in to see me Monday, I'll promote you to Colonel![/quote:3rpknbu7]

If you knew me I would be the last person you would call a bootlick. I posted this because I mean it. I certainly don't agree with everything th sheiff has done but does not matter what I think. I have had the pleasure to work in the port with alot of good hardworking folks. The privatization of the port will have a hugh impact on a alot of us. There could be several people in the unemployment line. We need all of the asistance we can get and the sheriff's comments were appreciated by many of of us.[/quote:3rpknbu7]

Aren't the port expenses, including all of the BSO people, paid for by the cruise lines? The Port Everglades website at [url="http://www.porteverglades.net"]www.porteverglades.net[/url] shows this to be so, AND that the port generated a profit of 8 million dollars last year!!! Why are they trying to save the tourists each about 50 cents, and cut the pay and benefits to so many broward residents? Also, how about when the obamacare kicks in... who's going to foot the bill for all that, the security company or the port? You better believe the port will do their own little bailout, and then we will be right back where we started. Government "Enterprises" like the port and the airport are SUPPOSED TO GENERATE GOOD PAYING JOBS! All this anti-Lamberti hoopla is hurting the innocents and is economically counter intuitive.

There was never a problem before. Now Claude from Wackenhut is interested?

This is about side deals and politics in the County cesspool referred to as a Commission. Our Sheriff is not of their party ilk.

Quote Originally Posted by Guest
    This is about side deals and politics in the County cesspool referred to as a Commission. Our Sheriff is not of their party ilk.

[b]This is about side deals and politics in the County cesspool referred to as the Broward Sheriff's Office.

So is there any news on the the proposal, that was to be awarded last week to one of the security companies that bid?
    Is the Admin still saying they don't know of any changes? That will keep all the CSA's on edge.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast