Off-duty Collier deputy thwarts armed-robbery, nabs suspect
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Off-duty Collier deputy thwarts armed-robbery, nabs suspect

An off-duty Collier County Sheriff’s Office deputy held a strong-arm robbery suspect at gunpoint Saturday night until Lee deputies could arrive in the parking lot of a South Fort Myers Target store.

Neil D. Maltezos, 34, who lists addresses in the 13000 block of Siesta Pines Court and 5200 block of Cedarbend Drive, Fort Myers, remained Monday in Lee County Jail pending posting of $10,000 in bonds.

According to a Lee County Sheriff’s Office report:

About 5:45 p.m. Saturday, deputies were alerted to a robbery in the parking lot of the 15000 block of San Carlos Boulevard in South Fort Myers. A woman, Bette McLean, 64, told deputies she was walking to her car when she felt a tug on her purse. She fell to the ground and was dragged, but the man didn’t get her purse.

John Foltz, 26, said he was walking into Target to get a soda when he heard a woman yell for help. He saw the woman on the ground yelling and a man pulling at her purse. An SUV pulled up and the driver asked what happened. Foltz told the man, later identified as Collier Deputy Douglas Leffin, who took off after the man. By the time Foltz caught up with him, Leffin had the man on the ground at gunpoint near Rib City.

Lee deputies responded and arrested Maltezos.

http://www.naplesnews.com/news/2010/...bbery-nabs-su/

Great job Doug!!!

Re: Off-duty Collier deputy thwarts armed-robbery, nabs suspect

Although it was not mentioned much in the press but cudo's goes to CCSO K-9 and aviation unit for their role in helping catch the murder suspect in Lee County.

We had 3 k-9 teams and our helicopter assisting for over 12 hours. Great job guys for representing our agency with skill, professionalism and good old police spirit!!

Thats two times in one week we were able to help out a fellow agency :cop:

Nice!!!!
    I assume 'took off after suspect' was in car or was there a slow speed foot chase? :P

DL was definitely cruising for a burger at the time. He wasn't foot chasing anyone.

Ahh I remember DL when he was the pursuit king of NPD. Every traffic stop he made was proceeded with a call for emergency traffic and he was in pursuit, one minute later he was out with the vehicle. Drama king for sure!

At least he carries his weapon off duty and chose to get involved. I know a lot of deputies who do not carry and would have looked the other way.

Say what you want, Doug did a fine job and represented our agency well; more than I can say for a few who still work for us!!

As for being a drama king, that must have been a long time ago because he is far from drawing attention to himself.

We should commend acts such as this; not look into the memory bank to withdraw outdated information or ridicule someone for doing a good job. Not for nothing but this agency can use all of the good press it can get. Especially now that PW was fired. That will be another Pandora's box of black-eye for us!!!

Congrats Doug, you did a good job!

Hey Doug, Great Job. As for the other posters who can only trash talk. Well, we all know your type and we know who you are. You are the ones that are constantly crying about how our agency is unfair blah blah blah. We have the best equipment and if you so inclined to attend, great training. Stop bashing a guy who did something on his own time, out of county when we all know you are too lazy to have done it yourself.

Once again, Doug. You rock brother. For those of you who dont know Doug, your the ones missing out. He wont hesitate to back you up or even take a DUI for you. He took two of mine to save me from doing O.T. He didnt have to, he is just that type of person.

Good job Doug. Sounds like we have a couple of jealous cry babies. We all know the ones. They would have driven by if they were on duty, in their own county. Happens all the time. Calls are dispatched, they are close, they turn around and go the other way, drive right by Sig 52s, Sig 16s, etc. Just useless.
    Thanks for the good press. We sure need it.

Quote Originally Posted by DL Supporter
    At least he carries his weapon off duty and chose to get involved. I know a lot of deputies who do not carry and would have looked the other way.
    I couldn't agree more. Don't be another sheep in the flock. You are trained to use a firearm effectively and for the RIGHT reasons! The people in our community need you to be ready at all times. Carry, Carry, Carry. I can't say it enough. If not for everyone else then at least for you and yours.

It might rain today...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast