Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: *PLEASE READ*

Re: *PLEASE READ*

That's NOT what your mom says.

Quote Originally Posted by Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Troopertruth
    Sent: Thursday, July 08, 2010 2:02 PM
    Subject: Safety of our officers requires changes in our operational response

Safety of our officers requires changes in our operational response

By Colonel Rick Ramsay

Due to the recent death of Deputy Melissa Powers, and due to a string of deaths in our agency due to traffic accidents, we have examined our current practices, and are directing that some changes take place in the way road patrol operates when responding to calls.

Since I began working here, we have had five Deputies killed in the line of duty. ALL of them were killed in Traffic Crashes. Three of the five accidents occurred when the officers were responding to a call and traveling at or near 100mph. In all three cases, this high speed response was completely un-called for. I do not say this lightly, or to be disrespectful to these fine officers, but this should be a wakeup call to everyone when it comes to how we respond to calls for service.

In 1998, Res. Deputy Dave Cormier was a passenger in a patrol vehicle when the unit he was riding in responded to a report of a stolen bicycle. The patrol car was traveling at an extremely high rate of speed when it collided with another vehicle, killing Deputy Cormier. In 2007, Deputy Robin Tanner was responding to an unattended death call at an extremely high rate of speed. Robin swerved to avoid a vehicle in front of her, lost control of her vehicle and she was killed in the resulting accident. Deputy Melissa Powers was driving at an extremely high rate of speed to help locate her Sergeant, who was out of touch on his radio. Melissa swerved to avoid a vehicle in front of her and she was killed in the resulting accident. At these high rates of speed, if even a small thing goes wrong, there is simply no time to react. Even an expert driver would not be able to handle a collision at such high speeds.

Across the nation officers are being killed, injured, and are killing and injuring others because they are driving too fast. In many instances, they are speeding to calls which do not require such a response. We talk about officer safety all of the time when it comes to armed suspects and other dangerous situations, but it is clear to me that the number one threat to a law enforcement officer is unsafe driving – particularly here in Monroe County.

We all know the officers who drive too fast and we all say to ourselves or each other, “someday something is going to happen.” Well, it is time for us to tackle this problem head-on. On the day after Deputy Powers funeral, a meeting was held at headquarters with all Commanders and Chiefs in attendance. I outlined what I see as the problems we are having, and what I want to see happen to help solve those problems. My number one concern is the safety and security of our officers, followed closely by the safety and security of the public. I am going to make every effort to see that everyone goes home at the end of their shift if I can possibly help it.

The responsibility for making sure this effort is successful and is consistently applied will be on our supervisors – primarily on our Road Patrol Sergeants. The main responsibility of a road patrol sergeant is and always has been to monitor and control his or her road patrol shift; there are some sergeants who do this very well. There are others who have not been adequately supervising and it is now time for them to step up to the plate and do their job.

From now on, I want to make it clear: it is a sergeant’s responsibility to direct the type of response a call requires. Before a deputy runs code to a call, that response must be approved by a sergeant. There are very few times such a response is called for, and even fewer where a high speed code response is required. This will ensure the sergeant knows what’s going on which is important because he or she may be called upon to justify the response.

The goal here is to limit code responses to calls. For example, there is absolutely no reason to run code to dumpster fires, brush fires , fire alarms, verbal disputes of any kind, trespassing, crashes (unless there are injuries), repetitive alarm calls, or most medical calls.

And remember, when you are responding to a routine call – and not running code – you must be driving at the speed limit. There is absolutely no reason to exceed the speed limit on a routine call. I get more complaints from the public about deputies speeding than about anything else. In addition to the deadly crashes I talked about, we have also had many vehicles badly damaged or destroyed due to high speed driving. This unsafe behavior is going to stop. If it doesn’t, someone will be held responsible for it.

Also, from now on, no more than two units will respond to any call, unless a sergeant authorizes more than two units. If a sergeant authorizes more than two units to respond to a call, he or she will specify what level of response and must be able to justify it based on the circumstances of the call. There is simply no reason to have more than two units going to most of our calls.

Remember, your safety outweighs everything else! We may see an overall slower response time as a result of these safety efforts. We may see some calls escalate because it took us a little longer to get there. But we have to get there in one piece to do any good.

We will be doing a better job of tracking our officers. Making sure we know an officer’s location is a major safety issue. Data Processing has ordered new air cards that will also act as GPS antennas. This ensures they will not be accidentally or purposefully disconnected. These new cards will also allow us to monitor vehicle speeds and locations.

I have also directed data processing to change the configuration of our in-car video systems to automatically activate at 65 mph. I am telling you this up front – consider this fair warning. We aren’t trying to trick anyone here, but we are going to make sure we do everything we can to keep our officers safe.

I’ve made this clear to Commanders, and now I’m making it clear here for everyone. Road Patrol Sergeants have now been given clear direction. They will be held accountable for this. And, if a particular sergeant doesn’t take appropriate action when directing officers to a call, I expect other sergeants on duty to step in. Road patrol officers, let me be clear: if you receive direction from any sergeant, even if it isn’t your shift sergeant, you are to follow that direction.

Some of you may feel this sounds harsh. But we are going to learn from the past and make every effort to avoid these deadly situations in the future. I look forward to any other thoughts or suggestions on how we can tackle these serious safety issues.

Colonel Rick Ramsay

The bottom line is that for many many it has been tought from FTO to FTO the response is balls to the walls lights and siren for every call. Nobody see's anything wrong because it's been tought that it is normal response. No other agency does this except for the Keys. I say the Keys because a lot of the state officers see us doing it and do it too. It's just not worth the extreme danger going after a traffic violator or most emergency calls to drive balls to the walls..The directive seems harsh, but I'll tell ya it's the only thing thats slowed the crazy driving with some of the deputies I work with..

Quote Originally Posted by Leoaffairs Dep
    The bottom line is that for many many it has been tought from FTO to FTO the response is balls to the walls lights and siren for every call. Nobody see's anything wrong because it's been tought that it is normal response. No other agency does this except for the Keys. I say the Keys because a lot of the state officers see us doing it and do it too. It's just not worth the extreme danger going after a traffic violator or most emergency calls to drive balls to the walls..The directive seems harsh, but I'll tell ya it's the only thing thats slowed the crazy driving with some of the deputies I work with..

Don't speak for all of us please! I'm an FTO and don't teach my new Dep's to drive like this.... And the real problem is this agency make 1 to 2 year Dep's FTO's, you are not proficient enough in your first few years to teach someone else... Only this agency will let someone be swat, motors, narcotics etc after Their probation is up... Take away the take home policy to those who drive like shizzzzz.

Quote Originally Posted by Leoaffairs Dep

Spell check moron.

Smile Re: *PLEASE READ*

Friday, February 3, 2012 Monroe County corrections deputy accused of propositioning an undercover officer posing as a prostitute in Broward County has been arrested and placed on unpaid suspension, according to Sheriff's Office records. The Detention Deputy was charged with second-degree misdemeanor, first offense-offer/agree to secure a lewd act on Nov. 2 after he reportedly approached an undercover member of the Hollywood Police Street Crimes Unit near U.S. 1 and Wiley Street, records state.

This Stock Island Monroe County Detention Center employee who is not a sworn deputy and does not carry a weapon, was suspended for 45 days without pay and must undergo sexual addiction counseling, spokeswoman Deputy Herrin said. He also received a letter of reprimand on the unlawful conduct charge and was suspended for an additional 24 hours for the latter charge -- essentially two days since jailers work in 12-hour shifts, Herrin said.

"He got the maximum punishment we have prior to termination," Sheriff Bob Peryam said. "We don't tolerate this behavior and we will never tolerate this behavior."

The Internal Affairs Division on Jan. 4 sustained one count of unlawful conduct and one count of misrepresentation of position and/or authority. Investigators found he misrepresented himself by telling the undercover officer that he was a "cop" when he was attempting to negotiate the price of oral sex. NOW THIS IS WHAT GETS ME------ok the detention deputy gets arrested for breaking the law and gets a big punishment from the sheriff as we all can read above and will get further punishment in court later, good for them , we dont need this type of public service employee but MCSO Sgt. Thomas Kiffney on June 22 2010 failed to: • Answer his police radio repeatedly; • Cleared a prior call at John Pennekamp Coral Reef State Park, causing fellow officers to become concerned for his safety without letting dispatch know he was done with the call; • Return to regular radio Channel 1 after switching to Channel 3 after a bulletin for him was issued, disallowing dispatchers and other deputies from reaching him; • Report he was out of his car and at his gun shop; • Keep his cellphone with him when he left his car; •• Return to his car promptly; • Answer the phone at his gun shop; • Keep his police car's GPS plugged in; • Report trouble he was having with the MCSO GPS unit to the MCSO Information Technology department; • Consider that other MCSO officers would be concerned for his safety and risk their own safety to check on him; and • Protect Deputy Powers from wrongful death. AND OUR MCSO SHERIFF ONLY GIVES SGT KIFFNEY SIX DAYS OFF, WHICH HE WAS ALLOWED TO USE VACATION TIME SO HE WOULDNT LOOSE ANY PAY , HE GOT TO KEEP HIS STRIPES , IS ALLOWED TO CONTINUE WORKING IN THE SAME SECTOR THAT HIS GUN SHOP IS IN AND SUPERVISE DEPUTIES UNDER HIM. And yes he only got six days off ,,, that cat wasnt let out of the bag to the tax payers but if you did not know this , now you do. There is more to that incident then we have been led to know. IN A NUT SHELL , SEEMS LIKE A "COVER UP" RIP DEPUTY POWERS WE HAVE YOUR BACK

If you think you know the real story then tell it. Becuase the only thing you stated is what was put in the papers. You didn't even get the punishment right, it was not six days. Wow just another jerk who thinks they know everything. Almost everything you stated is not true, again stop reading the papers and listening to others. You want the real truth, talk to Sgt. Kiffney himself, the dispatchers, the other deputies working that night. Then adn only then will you know what really went on.

So sad................

Post Re: *PLEASE READ*

@ "yearight" you have no clue yet buddy ,,,,, the sgt or your sgt needs not be a SGT.

**facts**: He has several sustained neglect to duty in his file and guess for what ,,,,,,,,,, oh yea you dont know, well let me tell you for what........ NOT ANSWERING HIS RADIO!!!!!!! THAT'S RIGHT , and he is still a Sgt!!!!! wow ...... (this is not from a news article it is from a public records request ,, you can get one too)

**my opinion**: who is covering his butt and theirs. The SGT is not who you really have been lead to think he is ... he has some real dark secrets ,,,, don't let that favor or that discounted gun you bought from him tarnish the better part of you. It is not time for YOU to know the whole truth yet.

** fact ** : I just want you to keep checking this blog and talking trash "yearight". Do your homework if you cant wait and are anger by my semi posts. So you can choose to wait or just dont read the blog. Believe me I have only posted what they want you to know.

fact: I will post the truth ... in time. Until then dont get so up tight with me, yearight lol

Post COVER UP ??? NO MORALS

You tell me .... cover up , taking care of my boy , favor for a favor ??????
    __________________________________________________ __________________
    The Owner of Kiffney's inc gun shop "MCSO Sgt Kiffney" who was MIA when Deputy Powers sped to find him and died in a car accident on June 22, 2010. He was later found at his gun shop, on duty , after being MIA for over 45 minutes ... safe.
    He has 3 to 4 sustained neglect to duties in his internal affairs file now, including Deputy Powers incident. Guess for what ......... Not answering his radio, not being where he was suppose to be. So what happpens on the night Powers died ..... he was not answering his radio, he was where he was not suppose to be .......... AGAIN ........................
    He is still a SGT . I THINK THIS SHOWS WHY HE IS STILL A SWORN POLICE OFFICER

For Candidate : MCSO Rick Ramsay?Office : Running for Sheriff
    **Board of elections report Date : (1/1/2012 - 3/31/2012)1/14/2012

KIFFNEY'S INC
    105910 OVERSEAS HIGHWAY
    KEY LARGO, FL 33037
    T-SHIRTS Monetary $ 1,075.00

2/17/2012 KIFFNEY'S, INC.
    105910 OVERSEAS HIGHWAY
    KEY LARGO, FL 3303 Business
    PRINTING &SALE In Kind RAMSAY T-SHIRTS $500.00

3/3/2012 KIFFNEY'S INC
    105910 OVERSEAS HIGHWAY
    KEY LARGO, FL 33037
    T-SHIRTS Monetary $ 537.50

3/27/2012 KIFFNEY'S INC
    105910 OVERSEAS HIGHWAY
    KEY LARGO, FL 33037
    T-SHIRTS Monetary $1,075.00

3/29/2012 KIFFNEYS, INC
    105910 OVERSEAS HIGHWAY
    KEY LARGO, FL 33037
    T-SHIRTS Monetary $268.75

Now the other mess. here you will see the internal affairs investigator on the events surrounding Powers' death. Yes the IA investigator that conducted the investigation and never recorded nor impounded the dvr from Kiffney's shop. Which allowed the SGT to dispose of the dvr recorder and the Sgt re-record a video of a video ... HUMMMMMMMM

**11/23/2011 Internal Affairs investigator DONATO B ELOMINA***
    KEY WEST, FL 33040 Individual LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICER donation Check $250.00
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Administrators who decided that Sgt Kiffney should only be suspended a few days and keep his rank as Sgt. After I am sure the higher ups told them what to do.
    HOW MANY MORE SUSTAINED NEGLECT TO DUTIES DOES SGT KIFFNEY NEED FOR THESE PEOPLE TO DO THE RIGHT THING ??????????? HELLO A POLICE OFFICER DIED HERE WHILE HE WAS AGAIN DOING WHAT HE HAS DONE IN THE PAST...... MAYBE THERE IS A PATTERN IN HIS BEHAVIOR HERE ,,, YOU THINK!!!!
    11/12/2011 MCSO LOU CAPUTO
    MARATHON, FL 33050 Individual LAWENFORCEMENTOFFICER
    donation Check $500.00

11/8/2011 MCSO Lt NANCY ALVAREZ
    KEY LARGO, FL 33037 Individual LAWENFORCEMENTOFFICER
    donation $500.00

Dude, As a Homestead Police Officer who is on your side take a little advice. Everyone is sorry for your loss but you walk around angry all the time and you're like a timebomb waiting to explode. Your co-workers walk on eggshells around you. There was a lot of fault to go around with the crash, primarily with Deputy Kiffeney, but also with Melissa. We back you with the lawsuit bro, but listen, let it play out in the lawsuit and dont make this a public spectacle. You were in a lot of 34's with Missy and you wouldn't want the details of that crap spread here, so 07 bro and chill out. Let the lawyers earn their money.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast