PBSO Reserve Deputy Recruit - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: PBSO Reserve Deputy Recruit

Hey Tony29: Once again, call Human Resources. If you're this concerned about all this trivial stuff, (ooh, ooh, do I get the same badge as the full timeers etc etc.) I can only imagine what you're going to be like if HR hires you. I think reserve candidates have to go through an oral board interview now so maybe your concerns about the little stuff will come out in the interview so you can properly be screened out. :snicker: If you want to be full time, check with Delray and Riviera, I think they're hiring. Otherwise, be grateful if you're one of the fortunate ones being considered for a reserve job. They work hard and many have earned my respect over the 20+ years I have served this agency.

Can anyone advise if PBSO will be hiring certified anytime soon? I've been on the website and noticed that it was down for a while. HR advise that weekly openings are posted every Monday, but can't get on to see if the agency is currently accepting apps. Thanks in advance.

With all do respect sir,I actually have called HR numerous times, but the secretary who sometimes returns my calls does not know the answer to my questions. I have already taken and passed the Oral Interview and am now moving on to the next step in the process. I know the question sounded childish and I apologize I just wanted to know if there is something that is visually differentiating between regular and Reserve Deputies. I know that the Florida Highway Patrol makes their Auxiliary troopers wear brown pants instead of all tan like the full-timers as well as the patch on their sleeve that reads "Auxiliary". I can assure you that I am much more mature than the question I had asked, I may be young but I do believe I will be a great asset to PBSO.

we're not trying to crucify you. we're simply saying that the public does not need to know every detail of how we run our agency. if I were you, I would call 688-3000 and ask for the Reserve Unit. if possible ask for Reserve Sergeant Welch . I heard he was a Lieutenant now but I can't confirm that, we haven't seen each other for many months. i've had the opportunity to work with him a number of times in the years he's been here. He's a straight shooter and I imagine he will answer your questions if he can. yes, HR can be frustrating. when I got hired 7 years ago it was the same thing...they don't return calls, they don't return e-mails and now that I'm an employee, nothing has changed. while unfortunate, it is what it is. the reserves are still a good unit. don't lose faith because HR has no answers. we need your help. now more than ever. :lol:

He's a clown. Go get your information from a mature person who knows what they are talking about.

The Sheriff's Reserve unit is adding allocations. The unit separates between reserve I and reserve II with the differences related to training. Reserve I's are fully certified deputies who have succesfully completed the Field Training Officer program of the agency and can operate without direct supervision. Reserve II's attend a similar academy of fewer hours of training. They must pass an 80 hour block of Field Training. They are then allowed to ride with fully certified deputies or after they reach a level of competence are allowed to work while under the direct supervision of a fully certified deputy. Some of our reserve I's are retired employees who want to keep their certification active or love the job and want to remain active in law enforcement without the rigors of mandated shift work.

Uniforms are issued and the uniforms are the same. The identification cards will provided the title of reserve deputy I or II. I hope this information helps, the program is sound, helps tremendously and allows the agency to put extra deputies in the field, fill positions in charity events and help with agency special operations. Many of the reserve I's are law enforcement academy graduates who due to hiring freezes by most agencies, cannot get jobs. The training and experience they gain will provide an edge when agencies begin to hire again.

All - I am going through the process of becoming a RS II, HR is a nightmare to deal with.
    They've cancelled the academy 2x already. The latter academy will be offered by PBCC.
    There is a RS II academy starting in April, you'll have to self sponsor (pay your way)
    Although, if your only intensions are to help your community, then you won't mind paying the $2,300 for the academy.
    Reserve Lt. Welch is a professional, he made the process easier. He also is at the mercy of PBSO HR.
    I've spoken with many FT Sheriff deputies, they all seem to have nothing but respect for the Reserve unit.

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt. Sandwich
    Yes, the Reserve Deputies are an outstanding group of individuals. Most of their sacrifice and efforts go unnoticed by the general staff. But make no mistake, they volunteer countless hours and do a great job at supporting the SO. Good luck to you!
    Whatever! I've yet to see any of these "wanna b's" do anything but give themselves important titles (I guess they think they sound important on the radio?), do 10-50's and tie up air time....that's just my opinion and I think they're useless!

Worse than useless. A budgetary drain and lot to do about nothing. Dangerous squirrels.

Post Re: PBSO Reserves

Quote Originally Posted by scarry
    Worse than useless. A budgetary drain and lot to do about nothing. Dangerous squirrels.

HOW THE HELL DOES THE SHERIFF JUSTIFY ISSUING NEARLY ALL RESERVES TAKE HOME CARS AND GAS CARDS? I GET IT. THEY SAVE THOUSSANDS OF DOLLARS FOR WORK PERFORMED, BUT ISSUING A CAR? I THINK IT WOULD BE BETTER TO PAY A MINIMAL HOURLY WAGE AND HAVE THEM PAY A GAS DEDUCTION FOR VOLUNTEER HOURS ABOUT THE MINIMUM REQUIRED FOR THE ACTIVE MEMBERSHIP. THAT MEANS THEY HAVE TO VOLUNTEER 16 HOURS PER MONTH. OK. ABOVE THAT IT IS $25/HOUR, MAXIMUM 40 HOURS A MONTH. THEN DEDUCT $50 A MONTH FOR GAS IF THEY HAVE AN ISSUED UNMARKED VEHICLE.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast