PBSO Reserve Deputy Recruit
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

PBSO Reserve Deputy Recruit

Hello,

I was on the PBSO employment website and I saw a posting for Reserve Deputy Recruit. I read the requirements and It did not mention anything about having to be certified. Does this mean that PBSO will send you to the academy as a reserve deputy?If so, assuming everyone in the program has a second job, will the academy be a part time academy? Also, are reserve deputies authorized to work details and what kind of details are deputies permitted to work?

Thank You and Stay Safe!

Re: PBSO Reserve Deputy Recruit

There are two kinds of reserve deputy. One is fully certified by the state and can operate alone, the other is a limited capacity deputy who has arrest powers, but has to be directly supervised by a fully certified deputy.

To become the second type of reserve deputy, it is a part time academy, mostly in the evenings and night, in order to accomodate people who work. PBSO used to put on their own reserve academy, call human resources and ask if another one is coming up.

No matter if you are fully certified, or the second type of reserve, you can work all details, but DO NOT get paid for working them. It is strictly volunteer. A lot of guys, who are fully certified, join the reserves to keep their certification active, where as others who become the second type of deputy volunteer their time out of a sense of contributing to the benefit of their neighborhoods.

Most likely, immediately follwing this post, a handful of posts are going to be extremely negative and attempt to tell you how horrible PBSO is and tell you you are crazy for thinking of joining the reserves. The same dozen or so disgruntled guys (out of a staff of a few thousand) are the ones posting ALL of the negative posts on this site. Do not pay attention. These guys are mad at life, and enjoy trying to make others just as miserable as they are. I was a reserve before going full time and the unit is full of a bunch of great guys who mostly want to give back to the community.
    Good luck.

Yes, the Reserve Deputies are an outstanding group of individuals. Most of their sacrifice and efforts go unnoticed by the general staff. But make no mistake, they volunteer countless hours and do a great job at supporting the SO. Good luck to you!

Quote Originally Posted by reserve
    There are two kinds of reserve deputy. One is fully certified by the state and can operate alone, the other is a limited capacity deputy who has arrest powers, but has to be directly supervised by a fully certified deputy.

To become the second type of reserve deputy, it is a part time academy, mostly in the evenings and night, in order to accomodate people who work. PBSO used to put on their own reserve academy, call human resources and ask if another one is coming up.

No matter if you are fully certified, or the second type of reserve, you can work all details, but DO NOT get paid for working them. It is strictly volunteer. A lot of guys, who are fully certified, join the reserves to keep their certification active, where as others who become the second type of deputy volunteer their time out of a sense of contributing to the benefit of their neighborhoods.

Most likely, immediately follwing this post, a handful of posts are going to be extremely negative and attempt to tell you how horrible PBSO is and tell you you are crazy for thinking of joining the reserves. The same dozen or so disgruntled guys (out of a staff of a few thousand) are the ones posting ALL of the negative posts on this site. Do not pay attention. These guys are mad at life, and enjoy trying to make others just as miserable as they are. I was a reserve before going full time and the unit is full of a bunch of great guys who mostly want to give back to the community.
    Good luck.
    As a former reserve who went full time I can testify that this reserve says is true.

How long is the process? How many are they looking for? Any other information that can be provided? I am interested in applying.

Thank you all for the info. If picked up by the reserves will it be easier to become a full time deputy? Are reserves able to put in for any special units? How many days a week would the reserve training be? I saw that you stated reserves II had to be supervised by a fully certified deputy. Does this mean they are in the same patrol car to gether or are reservE 11's able to check out a car and patrol alone?

Your questions would be better answered by calling 688-3400, ask for the reserve unit, and speak with one of them. Good luck.

Is anyone applying for this position having trouble logging in to apply?

Quote Originally Posted by sflaleo
    Is anyone applying for this position having trouble logging in to apply?
    Its down until the 12th

Are D/S II's issued the same equipment,badges and uniforms as the fulltime depties?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast