SOG Team
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: SOG Team

SOG Team

I recently heard a SOG team member refer to himself as an "operator." This is an embarrassment. No wonder people think our agency is a joke. First off, the term "operator" is reserved for U. S. Special Forces (Seals, Green Berets, Delta's, etc.). When I hear of tactics that were used in the Civil War (Wall of Death) I just laugh. A National Guard unit would take out the SOG team in less than a minute. At least some of them have actually been in combat. Anyway, I appreciate the attempt to excell and train, but spare me the elevated self worth.

P Slayer

Re: SOG Team

Our SOG team cracks me up.

Ya know its easy to bash something you are not apart of. I can tell you one thing, in most areas I can think of, most of the members on the SOG teams are great officers and lieutenants, who come to work and make great cases, work hard, and don't bi&ch about everything. When doing something SOG they work just as hard.
    SO as you are already smirking and ready to write some stupid, jealous reply...... If you aren't ready to step up, join and make a difference, then shut the Fork up! Because from where I see it, you are as usual on here, a whiny wish you could be! So ta ta!

And to all my FWC brothers out there who don't sit there and bash each other.... Be safe out there! Oh yeah watch you backs.. some of your OWN want to stab you in it!!

While I respect the SOG Team for being dedicated and wanting to train, I am simply saying they should stop referring to themselves as "operators." It is disrespectful to the true operators that are actually doing special operation in real combat situations. Also, SOG Team members should stop acting like they are better officers than the rest. Stop configuring your weapons wrong. It makes the agency as a whole look like a joke. What is with the "wall of death" tactics. Anyone with basic military training knows that is worst formation. Try using a modified wedge and bound to your objective. Perhaps you should take a look at some Army Field Manual. They are free online.

P Slayer

The SOG team is an attempt to sell the agency's image to the state and the general public. The one issue I have with it is the perception that this group creates. FWC Law Enforcement is setup to enforce fish and wildlife law and any other state laws that the officer(s) may encounter in the performance of their duties. The SOG team loses credibility when they go out on "missions" that are supposedly "special".I am talking about details that any officer in this agency could perform in the normal performance of their duties i.e. night hunting details or boating safety details. I am not saying that there are not situations where a SWAT type element is needed to deal with certain situations. However, very few if any of those situations occur where a SOG team would be needed. On that note, they should only be deployed for those types of situations that require a "tactical response".For example, the SOG team gets sent to hurricanes before anybody else. Why?.... Do they have some form of advanced skill set in handing out food, water, and ice that the average FWC officer doesn't have?I am pretty confident that most of the officers in this agency (at least down here in South Florida) can step up to the plate in a disaster without having been a SOG team member.I think the SOG team is a great idea but it needs to have some sort of accredited training program that assesses individuals prior to joining i.e. like going to an officially endorsed SWAT school.From what I have seen all you have to do is pass the Cooper test and an interview. The SOG team sends a very militant image of our agency to the public. I was told by my FTO that we are supposed to present a friendly image to the public. I don't know about the "operator" comment or guys calling themselves operators but unless an individual has actually served in an elite military unit where they were measured, tested, and chosen; then they shouldn't go around advertising themselves as "operators". I had thought about joining the SOG team at one time (once I got off probation) but I had been on a few details where they participated,and they were doing the same thing as us (regular officers).So I decided againtst it.I know I am very new to this agency but in my limted experience this is just how I see it.

Member LEO Affairs Detective

Excellent post newhire!

FWC SOG might not always do high speed stuff, I mean they are part of FWC so how much overtly dangerous stuff do they get a chance to do? BUT SOG was there and assisted us in the apprehension of the muderer of Matt Williams and his K9 Diogo.
    Therefore I appreciate what they do and their willingness to put themselves in the line of fire.

RIP 3655K

I would dare to say that situation required a "tactical response". Obviously the measured use of force in that situation was appropiate for a SOG/SWAT element. The SOG team obviuosly stepped up to the plate.I feel like they should only be utilized for situations that require that kind of response (when needed).....not details that any other officer can do (which essentially seems like they are just finding reasons to wear all their gear and justify their existence). What is bad for SOG and the agency is when they are used for the wrong purpose in the wrong situation (situations that don't require a SOG/SWAT element). Last time I checked there is a war going on overseas......the U.S. military is still hiring.....pretty much anyone can join......there are probably recruiting stations nearby....they apparently give you free gear.....and there are plenty of situations where guys who are on SOG (who I am assuming like training to be "paramilitary")would probably fit in well and could maybe actually see some real combat...because ultimately the existence of a unit like SOG- which displays weapons, uniforms, and gear of a military nature- is strictly designed to show force and take human life.....it seems like it would be a huge letdown to be a member of the SOG team, recieve all that training and gear, and be used a majority of the time for situations that don't require such a heavy handed response i.e. boating safety, night hunting details, chasing teenagers on ATVs in the everglades for a simple warning or misdemeanor ticket, and handing out food water and ice.Like I said before I think in concept it's a good idea but needs more leadership and focus. This website is a waste of time.

New Hire, you sound like one of the good guys. You should get off of this forum while the "gettin is good". If you are one of the good guys, these "other" guys pick and make fun until you leave the sight. Ask Rivervet! I enjoyed his post because he wrote about the things he was doing on the job. But, he no longer post because of the ribbing he took from the "less than good" officers. Good luck with your new career and enjoy your job.

Quote Originally Posted by Fan of New Hire
    New Hire, you sound like one of the good guys. You should get off of this forum while the "gettin is good". If you are one of the good guys, these "other" guys pick and make fun until you leave the sight. Ask Rivervet! I enjoyed his post because he wrote about the things he was doing on the job. But, he no longer post because of the ribbing he took from the "less than good" officers. Good luck with your new career and enjoy your job.
    They smell smoke and called "fire", and he ran. He was too full of himself.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast