SPD Officer Katrina Young
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Exclamation SPD Officer Katrina Young

Interesting Herald-Tribune article by Tom Lyons:

Snip:

A man accused of an armed home invasion had his charges dropped last week, thanks to a witness being too frightened to testify.

And because there is another witness who went missing, a Sarasota police officer may be more likely to be allowed to keep her job.

A North Port Police investigator's report says an associate told a detective that he got the address from his cousin, Sarasota Police officer Katrina Young.

Young has not talked to me, but was interviewed at length by a North Port investigator. Although she claimed at one point that Harris got the address online by using Young's home computer, the investigator says he found no way this could have happened.

So North Port police used computer records and Young's duty schedule to conclude Young had used a patrol car computer to access Terrence Bryant's personal information. They say she used the state's driver license database, which is available to cops but not to the rest of us.

The result of the investigation was a probable cause affidavit seeking a criminal charge against Young in the violation of state records laws.

Young was placed on paid leave while the State Attorney's Office decided what to do.
    Then, weeks later, prosecutors wrote to then-Chief of Police Peter Abbott to say that since a witness -- Young's cousin, Whizz Harris -- had not been located for a follow-up interview, no decision could be made about criminal charges yet. The case will remain open.

So Young stayed on paid leave.

And the State Attorney sent word to the Sarasota Police Department that since Officer Young's cousin still hadn't been found, Young's case was being closed, at least temporarily, with no charges filed.

And so, the night-shift Sarasota patrol officer has now been returned to duty.
    But Young, who did not return my call or e-mail, is now the subject of an internal investigation into the matter. That could result in disciplinary action, which requires less evidence than a criminal charge. But it depends on whether Sarasota Police reach the same conclusion about Young's story that North Port Police did.

"I believe this investigation was thorough, professional, and ethical," North Port Police Chief Terry Lewis said. "Like any good investigator, our detective followed the leads wherever they took him."

Tom Lyons can be contacted at tom.lyons@heraldtribune.com or (941) 361-4964.
    http://www.heraldtribune.com/article...ing-unpunished

Re: SPD Officer Katrina Young

We stepped in it again! Keep your hands and feet inside the Bad Press Express, the ride is about to begin. Thanks Ofc. Young,,,,, just a side note: When the Chief said support the Newtown Community, I'm fairly certain that providing sensitive information in furtherence of criminal acts was not what he was talking about, or maybe he was. SPD where Customer Service is our goal, making every felon smile inside the incorporated City Limits of Sarasota. The P.A.P.'s gonna crap out a gold metal and give it to her for being on the cutting edge of community relations! Can someone go smoke so crack and get caught banging a hooker so we can just get that out of the way already........What happened to this place? Jeez!

What happened to your department?

I'll be holding my breath waiting to hear about I.A.'s findings on this one! "I hope you learned something here Katrina" will be the slap on the wrist she'll get from the protectors! They should really penalize her and take away her cell phone. :snicker:

When you hire people with a criminal record this is what you get. Look around people this palce hires the bottom of the barrel. There is more than one person working here right now that has been arrested before. It's just a matter of time before that hits the papers and we look like crap again. woops sorry we still look likie crap from the last incident. This palce is unreal, they hire criminals and expect them to be trained, the only thing we are training them to do is become better criminals. I don't trust her as far as I can kick her ass up to Newtown. Fire her now and show we still have some balls around here. I'm keeping my distance from her, nothing good can come from this.

Quote Originally Posted by spd
    When you hire people with a criminal record this is what you get. Look around people this palce hires the bottom of the barrel. There is more than one person working here right now that has been arrested before. It's just a matter of time before that hits the papers and we look like crap again. woops sorry we still look likie crap from the last incident. This palce is unreal, they hire criminals and expect them to be trained, the only thing we are training them to do is become better criminals. I don't trust her as far as I can kick her ass up to Newtown. Fire her now and show we still have some balls around here. I'm keeping my distance from her, nothing good can come from this.
    The fact that it hit the newspapers and is at this website means that the chance of her getting off Scot free is diminished. However, one never knows till the fat lady sings...

Katrina will not get off scot free. Leblanc is the most competant and thorough (although at times over zealous) IA Lt SPD has had in some time. If the allegation is sustained, it will be Hollaway's first true test. Will he do the right thing?? I think so. Will she be fired?? Not unless the criminal case goes forward. If it does, there is no way she would not be found as an accessory. If that happens, CJSTC has to be made aware of the case so it would be out of the Chief's hands.

Bottom line, she is a do nothing officer. Always has been, always will be. She is dead weight that needs to leave and make way for someone who will do more than just the bare minimum.

Post Re: SPD Officer Katrina Young

I have never had any type of problem with Ofc. Young. That being said I have very strong feelings about someone who utilized her official capacitiy to obtain information and give it out to person outside our Department. Criminal Investigation or No Criminal investigation, regardless of her work ethic this is a very serious problem. She has access to all of our officers home phone numbers, home addresses, vehicle information, etc.. I know that you could probably look up officer's information with some amount of effort via other means but she has them all right in front of her everday. What happens the next time we arrest someone she knows and is friends with who wants to find out where their arresting Officers live, or what kind of car they drive? Will she just wait till her partner goes inside x-19 and runs our name through DAVID on her partner's certificate or will she just stroll in and get it off the Sgt.'s Desk.? When do we get to see the Northport investigation so we can decide for ourselves what did or did not happen? Lets not wait 6 months to get this investigation done with IA. We want to know if Ofc. Young can be trusted or if this is a nonevent. If she did it get rid of her, she will have proven herself unworthy of the Department's trust, if she didn't then let her get back to taking calls.

Trust her, are you kidding me. I can't stand to even look at her. And what WTF are they doing putting her up on the block where she can be around all the dirt bags she has been giving the information to in the first palce.This so called officer is the biggest waste of space in the department. Ever since she came out of field training she works harder to get out of calls than she does just doing them. She has the two biggest things in the world going for her at SPD, i will leave it at that.

I hope I never get in a position where I have to work side by side with her, I would always do my job and respond to help any officer in need, but she has no buisness being on the street right now, no one on the shift other than her counter parts trust her. This is the one thing I can't over look,being a part of some thing so criminal. Personal matters that cause you problems in IA, ok they can be over looked, but this no way.

I can't imagine having to sit in the same car with her for the whole shift. Leave it to the supervisors here to submit another officer to that kind of exsposure. If she has to be on the street put her by herself. Another example of the kind of lack of quality supervision we have to endure here.

If this goes unchecked by this department there will be hell to pay, I don't think we should sit by and let this kind of bull #$@# go unchecked. She is an embaresment to this department and she should be fired. This is one time we as a department should stand together and push to have the right thing done.The hell with she has a family to take care of, so do I and if were me in this spot I would have been fire and left on the street so fast it would make your head spin.

This is a pure example of a BAD COP, we need to cut our loses and move on there are good people out there we can hire with out criminal records that we can trust and work side by side with.This officer has lost the trust of her fellow cops and the community at large. If I see her walking toward me I will turn and go the other way.I can't think of any thing worse you can do as an officer than some thing like this.

This will be one of the biggest tests for IA and the Chief to date. I hope they do the right thing here. It would boost the moral of this department ten fold if they show some true balls and fire her.

I can't imagine having to sit in the same car with her for the whole shift. Leave it to the supervisors here to submit another officer to that kind of exsposure. If she has to be on the street put her by herself.
    Working alone requires a great deal of trust because no one is there to watch what you're doing. Can she be trusted to work alone without a witness with her all the time???

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast