Why so many police agencies in one county?

Why so many police agencies in one county?

I retired from the NYPD in 2008 and moved down to Miami. I am living the life down here fishing, hunting, going to the beach.
    But I have a question. I had a small accident at an intersection. The point of impact was on SW 8 Street intersection of 67th Avenue. Three different police departments were called.

City of Miami came by and called West Miami PD. West Miami PD said it belongs to the county. The county said it belonged to the highway patrol. The highway patrol referred me back to the above 3 because they work accidents on SW 8 street west of 74 avenue. Finally after a tug of war between four different departments and a two hour waiting time, a Miami Dade officer came by and wrote the report for me.

This is ridiculous.

Re: Why so many police agencies in one county?

Sorry for that but unfortunately we have close to like 30 agencies in this county alone, not to mention we have cases where half of a scene is handled by one department and the other half another. Welcome to Miami the banana republic.

Quote Originally Posted by Ex-New Yorker
    I retired from the NYPD in 2008 and moved down to Miami. I am living the life down here fishing, hunting, going to the beach.
    But I have a question. I had a small accident at an intersection. The point of impact was on SW 8 Street intersection of 67th Avenue. Three different police departments were called.

City of Miami came by and called West Miami PD. West Miami PD said it belongs to the county. The county said it belonged to the highway patrol. The highway patrol referred me back to the above 3 because they work accidents on SW 8 street west of 74 avenue. Finally after a tug of war between four different departments and a two hour waiting time, a Miami Dade officer came by and wrote the report for me.

This is ridiculous.

Sorry what happened to you,you got four slugs that didn't want to write a simple crash report.Any one of those Officers could have written the report.Welcome to the third world. :cop:

Quote Originally Posted by Guest
    Sorry for that but unfortunately we have close to like 30 agencies in this county alone, not to mention we have cases where half of a scene is handled by one department and the other half another. Welcome to Miami the banana republic.
    Two departments one handles half the scene and the other one the other half? Incredible but true!!!
    But I guess is better than having a national police force like totalitarian 3rd world dictatorships have.

We have that too down here. They are called Sweetwater Police. They have jurisdiction 20 feet from their cars at all times. How else you think they can work off duty jobs county wide.

Quote Originally Posted by Ex-New Yorker

This is ridiculous.
    Move back to New York and don't come back!

Umm..why would anybody retire in a dump like Miami after suffering 30 years of New York?...Get a map brother, head west

Quote Originally Posted by Guest
    Umm..why would anybody retire in a dump like Miami after suffering 30 years of New York?...Get a map brother, head west
    Miami Beach is awesome to live....You can walk the streets anytime with no worry....The only time is gets crazy is when the Hip-Hop weekend comes around once a year.