fhp and going to college - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: fhp and going to college

Not all on-line universitys are a scam or a joke. The degree is the same as a so called "real university". I obtained my B.A. from an on line school, and all of the credits were accepted for my masters program. While in the military, on-line was the only way I could attend class. The best advice is, check the school for its Accredidation status. The Federal Department of Education has a complete list of colleges and university and their accredidation status.

Quote Originally Posted by onlinegrad
    Not all on-line universitys are a scam or a joke. The degree is the same as a so called "real university". I obtained my B.A. from an on line school, and all of the credits were accepted for my masters program. While in the military, on-line was the only way I could attend class. The best advice is, check the school for its Accredidation status. The Federal Department of Education has a complete list of colleges and university and their accredidation status.
    Yes, but where did you apply for a masters program? Another online school? They'll accept anyone as long as you're willing to give them your money!

And something else you need to consider.....a college may be accredited by the DOE, but if you're obtaining a professional degree (i.e. engineering) then chances are your degree (DeVry, Univ. of Phoenex, etc.) is almost certainly not going to be accredited by ABET. And if that's the case, your diploma is pretty much only good for wiping your arse with.

Same goes many of the other degrees offered by those types of colleges that have their own unique professional accreditation bodies.

Just saying....buyer beware!

Quote Originally Posted by Guest
    Yes, but where did you apply for a masters program? Another online school? They'll accept anyone as long as you're willing to give them your money!

And something else you need to consider.....a college may be accredited by the DOE, but if you're obtaining a professional degree (i.e. engineering) then chances are your degree (DeVry, Univ. of Phoenex, etc.) is almost certainly not going to be accredited by ABET. And if that's the case, your diploma is pretty much only good for wiping your arse with.

Same goes many of the other degrees offered by those types of colleges that have their own unique professional accreditation bodies.

YOUR ABOVE comments are absolutely correct about the accreditation situation. TO BE ACCEPTABLE AT ANY KNOWLEDGEABLE FIRM, "REAL COLLEGE" FOR GRADUATE SCHOOL, OR RESPECTED BY ANY WELL EDUCATED ADULT, THE COLLEGE MUST BE ACCREDITED BY A REGIONAL ACCREDITING ASSOCIATION such as SACS. The on-line whole degree programs are pretty much a joke and EVERYONE knows it. That includes Troy U which so many in the military use for degrees. The degrees are worth what they are printed on---paper! With the unemployment rate so high among "legitimate degree holders," the on-line degree holders go to the bottom of every list of applicants--or, they are completely discarded. I know these facts because I did a lot of hiring in private industry and in higher education. If your degree was from FMU, Phoenix, or Troy (on-line)-- the applicants were told---don't let the door hit you in the arse on the way out.

I also received a B.A. from an online university and it allowed me to bail from FHP and get on at the Sheriff's department only 4 months after applying.

It's impossible with rotating shifts at FHP to sit in classes. Online classes are 24/7 and are definitely the way to do it.

But i'm sure I could never convince any of you that i'm living proof of what I just stated.

Amazing that you're giving him grief about signing up for his MASTERS degree and you're what? a high school graduate?

Online classes or on-site classes, either way a masters program is a hell of an accomplishment.
    :cop:

Amazing that you're giving him grief about signing up for his MASTERS degree and you're what? a high school graduate?

Online classes or on-site classes, either way a masters program is a hell of an accomplishment.

I wasn't giving the guy grief....just trying to help others avoid wasting four years on a degree that isn't worth the paper it is printed on.

And no, I do not hold a master's degree. I have a Bachelor's degree from Georgia Southern.

And exactly what type of formal education do you have? Lemme guess...you're probably an M.D. from Johns Hopkins, working for FHP just because of your love of law enforcement, right? :?

As long as your online degree is "regionally accredited," then it's good. My University of Phoenix credits are regionally accredited and were accepted by a state university towards a Masters degree.

Troy University is a state university in Alabama and they offer many different online degrees. Florida also has a slew of universities that offer online degrees, such as Florida State University, University of West Florida, St. Petersburg College and many others.

The state universities are significantly cheaper than private universities because they are funded and supported by taxpayer monies (or welfare dollars). The private universities aren't supported by tax dollars and that's why they cost so much more than state universities. Having said that... don't let anyone kid you: They're all in it to make money, whether they're state universities, private universities, for-profits or not-for-profits.

The term that people are using in this thread (SACS) means "Southern Association of Colleges and Schools." SACS covers the southeastern part of the U.S. The United States is divided into six regions and each has it's own regional accreditator.

The online classes are harder than the in-resident classes because more work is required to compensate for the time you're not sitting in a classroom.

I wasn't giving the guy grief....just trying to help others avoid wasting four years on a degree that isn't worth the paper it is printed on.

And no, I do not hold a master's degree. I have a Bachelor's degree from Georgia Southern.

And exactly what type of formal education do you have? Lemme guess...you're probably an M.D. from Johns Hopkins, working for FHP just because of your love of law enforcement, right? :?
    The degree I earned was accepted into the BYU independent study program in their masters program. I assume that the paper is worth more than you thought. Not that Georgia Southern is a burn down the barn school.

Unregistered
    Hi, yes, it's okay, I have no problem. I can share my experience with you further. In the course of our academic journey, we come across various assignments and coursework. Following this, we come across thesis and dissertations that are even more complex and nuanced. To attain a successful completion of a degree or a diploma, accuracy in academia is essential and cardinal. While the college does teach you the basics and essentials and suggests you the best books available online and offline, you need to have something of your own that will get you through. Your knowledge and dedication is the only thing that will help you to advance in your desired career. Our education naturally revolves around exams, testing, and correcting. It is just how things have been going on for years now. With all the endless tests and exams comes the burden of maintaining a consistent GPA throughout your college years for transparent career opportunities. It can sometimes become overwhelming to hold up all these things together, what with all the extracurricular activities, internships, on-campus jobs, and the usual syllabus. However, it is not wrong to ask for help. You always have your college faculty around you to guide you towards perfection. Luckily, the internet too is a place where if you ask for help, you are sure to get it. There are so many online courses about how you can effectively strike a balance among all your college aspects. Websites like*PapersOwl*help you with professionally researched and well-written assignments so that you can focus on other things going on and, above all, your personal life. There are websites and online lessons that particularly focus on*how to write your assignments*to land the best grades. College is so much more than just sitting amidst a pile of pending assignments with your mind full of due dates. It is about going out and exploring the world around you. You can make a wise decision to seek professional help for the betterment of your grades. You will not only protect your result but also live the practical experiences that your college life offers.*

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12