A Little Common Sense Goes a Long Way

A Little Common Sense Goes a Long Way

Two great quotes from a hero of mine, Sir Albert Einstein:

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction."

"Imagination is more important than knowledge."

Not necessicarily in that order.

You can't gain imagination from a book, it is inherent.

Re: A Little Common Sense Goes a Long Way

So what you are saying is: working like a mindless robot without imagination means one is really a moron?

On another note, we should all be mindful about how we raise our kids. Being a militaristic robot at home leads to your son being a Gothic misfit. You know, your son will be an introverted weirdo with no social skills because he was raised to be a whipped and skittish dog because daddy was a psychopath.

Wow! That was out of left field. Is that what you really took from that? It means you can have all the education and degrees you want, but without knowing how to apply the knowledge it is useless.

really

Quote Originally Posted by Guest
    Wow! That was out of left field. Is that what you really took from that? It means you can have all the education and degrees you want, but without knowing how to apply the knowledge it is useless.
    Can't argue with that. Lord knows that common sense is Sig-8 at HCSO these days. All these new high tech computers, programs and technological advances have done nothing but hinder and slowly erode the common sense principals of law enforcement, while creating a better criminal. I think at HCSO now for example, you have detectives that hardly ever do latent investigations in the field, feeling satisfied rather that they can do a sufficient investigation by means of only computer & phone. Sometimes this may be true, but in reality this has only further enhanced the shortage of Leo's on the street at HCSO, since not leaving the office creates less eyes, ears & potentially available backup out on the street. I don't know what the statistics are since HCSO started the ILP squads, but one thing is certain, the volume of calls on the street seems to have only increased over the last couple years while visible presence of HCSO on the street has decreased.

And I can tell you that without some sort of ILP who is going to monitor all the vital information that we are placing into our system. You make it sound as if it would be better for us to go back to paper reports and a paper filing system.

The real problem is that until our employees, including supervisors, support the ILP concept it will not work. Now is that the fault of those within those units? I think not.

Hey A.J. I agree that the ILP concept is a good thing and can help take a bite out of crime but I'm a zone guy and have been busier than a one legged man in a butt kicking contest lately. I read the daily ILP bulletins. I actually do, but could they please quit putting "see spreadsheet" and just list the dang info on the original page. Plain and simple, I'm pretty sure the rest of the patrol guys and gals don't have alot of time to click on this and click on that while were driving from one call to the next. Hell I have a hard enough time just keeping up with the hundreds of emails each week that really don't pertain to me let alone the one's that do.

If we took time to actually read every line of every email we got, and then took the time to comprehend every email in its proper context, that would take a minimum of 3 hours each work day.