He even fooled Washington DC

He even fooled Washington DC

Lee County Sheriff to address FBI academy class
    Being honored as top graduate 'humbling privilege,' Scott says
    By Evangelia ganosellis • eganosellis@news-press.com • May 21, 2010

Lee County Sheriff Mike Scott has been chosen to speak at his upcoming 241st FBI National Academy graduation, beating out 260 other law enforcement leaders worldwide.

Scott was picked over candidates from 48 states and 29 countries, including China, Canada and Greece.

He is the first Southwest Florida sheriff to serve as the graduation's speaker.

"I am not sure what set me apart and earned their confidence and support," Scott wrote in an e-mail. "However, it is the most humbling privilege of my professional life."

The FBI National Academy was founded in 1935. The program's curriculum focuses on leadership and management training.

Participation in the program is by invitation only through a nomination process. Scott joins a handful of others from the sheriff's office who have graduated from the FBI National Academy since its inception.

Scott is the only person from his graduating class to be selected as session speaker. He will join FBI Director Robert Mueller at graduation.

"This is considered the most prestigious law enforcement training in the world and even to be here is a high honor," Scott wrote. "However, the feeling of being selected as number one in the class is beyond description."

Scott said he has several ideas for his commencement speech, although nothing has been finalized.

When the candidates for session speaker were narrowed to six, Scott said, his speech focused on the preciousness of time, with this closing line:

"Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow."

Re: He even fooled Washington DC

I am familiar with the selection process of the class speaker. First, those from other countries generally don't apply for the class speakers position, their english is generally nowhere near as clear as they would like to be. Second, most are not interested in applying, thus leaving about 5% who even apply, usually the CEO of an agency. As stated in the article, Mike was chosen, not so, he applied and being a Sheriff is almost surely approved by the FBI-NA, refusing a CEO is not heard of. So when it is stated selected out of 260, half-truth, they all didn't apply for the glorious position.

Google MS quote "learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow" and see just how many times this has been used throughout the years, and the men and women who have said it. Nice try Mikie.

Point of interest, the article starts out stating the MS beat out 259 other candidates, then, it continues that MS was one of six finalist. What the blazes is the speakers position, a race? Does being the class speaker mean your the top in your class? Unless the FBI-NA has drastically changed the formate for selecting the class speaker, the reporter or MS has embellished the selection process thus lending to the impression that the class speaker is number one in the class. The grading process is basically a pass or fail.

Hey Lee, Charlie, Dom, et. al,
    How did he fool Washington, D.C.?
    Last I heard the academy was in Quantico, Virginia.
    And you guys want to be leaders? You don't even know where the academy is located ha ha ha ha.
    That's just too funny.

Quote Originally Posted by Give it up
    Hey Lee, Charlie, Dom, et. al,
    How did he fool Washington, D.C.?
    Last I heard the academy was in Quantico, Virginia.
    And you guys want to be leaders? You don't even know where the academy is located ha ha ha ha.
    That's just too funny.
    Hmmm.... Of course anything negative must be the work of the F bros or LB, because everyone else knows MS is a perfect sample of a true leader! :roll: As far as knowing where the academy is......Im sure the ex Chief knows he graduated the academy too! Thats just too funny! Why dont you take your own advice and give it up!