Pepper Spray
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pepper Spray

Pepper Spray

I am hearing through cnannels, police, and corrections that pepper spray is starting to injure and kill cops. Is this true? We all get sick of it in our department. What do we do if we get sick? Bar Lock

Re: Pepper Spray

Here in my state four officers had their lungs burned holes through them after being pepper sprayed. They will all be out of a job.

Officers Injured In Unusual Pepper Spray Training Exercise
    LOUISVILLE, Ky. -- Four Metro Corrections officers were injured after taking part in an unusual training exercise recently.

Last week, the officers were sprayed in the face with pepper spray being tested by the Corrections Department, and had to be hospitalized, WLKY NewsChannel 32''s Abby Miller reported Tuesday.

The spray tore a hole in one officer''s esophagus, and opened holes in each of another officer''s lungs. The spray was touted to be more powerful than what the officers currently use, and the department confirmed that the hard way.

Metro Corrections Capt. Brett O''Loughlin said a typical spray is used to get would-be criminals to stop fighting with officers or resisting arrest, Miller reported.

"It makes your eyes slam shut," he said. "You can''t open your eyes. To me, it''s just completely debilitating. I didn''t react well to it at all."

But O''Loughlin said the effects were much worse when they tested the new spray at the Southfield Training Academy on June 28.

"Every time someone was sprayed, it was an immediate pain response," O''Loughlin said. "They were not willing to fight. They did not want to resist. All they wanted to do was get to the water."

Deputy Corrections Director Joe Payne said the company that makes the spray asked him to try the new product, and warned that it might be more potent than what the department currently uses, Miller reported.

"Almost all of our pepper-spray applications come on a one-on-one basis, the same as we used in training," he said. "So therefore, I don''t think it was a bad batch. I just think it was a little bit more powerful stuff, and we''ve decided we''re not going to use that."

Payne added that the company said the injuries had never happened before.

This is from PoliceOne.com

prisonwatchblog: pepper spray use
    Monday March 22nd, 2010
    Miles Servial

Officers are still trying to understand the events that lead to
    the injury of a fellow officer at the Arizona State Prison.
    In October 2009 an inmate at the state prison attacked
    officers with a home made shiv. Officers responded with a
    hand held fire extinguisher type pepper spray product.
    The prisoner barricaded himself in a shower. Officers again
    used the fire extinguisher sized pepper spray often called a
    fogger in the shower. An officer entered the shower and
    wrestled the inmate into shackles. The officer then began
    to experience difficulties shortly after the incident. After the
    officers shift he had become disorientated and sick. Upon
    arriving home the officer became unresponsive and slipped
    into unconsciousness. After thorough testing at the hospital
    it was found that the officer had suffered stroke like damage.
    It was latter determined that the officer had suffered an
    anoxic/toxic encephalopathy due to the pepper spray and
    may never recover. Pepper spray contains the chemical
    capsaicin which has attributed to the severe injuries and
    deaths of several people in the United States. We are
    familiar with the injuries of arrested subjects that die after
    being dowsed with pepper spray while being arrested, but
    rarely due we hear of an officer being injured by it.

What was the OC products in these cases? Was it the product, brand, other chemicals in the mix, or strength?

I think all of us out here want to know that if we breath this stuff if it could hurt us and what to do about it. What medical steps need to be taken for a deputy or the friz bag we are spraying?

Quote Originally Posted by bar lock
    I am hearing through cnannels, police, and corrections that pepper spray is starting to injure and kill cops. Is this true? We all get sick of it in our department. What do we do if we get sick? Bar Lock
    i dont think that pepper spray could injured a person.because it's not that lethal like guns and knives.

OSHA has a standard for SHU in pepper spray products. It is 200,000 SHU! Most products are now 3 to 5 million. This could be dangerous. Then add in the consentration, area it is used in, type of product used.

Just like a stun device, it can cause serious injury or death. A pistol can cause serios injury or death. I have learned through my many decades that there is no such thing as non-lethal, less lethal, or safe to use. When I started we hit perps in the temple with a blackjack, choked them out, hit them with a flash lightr, ran them down with a patrol car, etc. Now we talk to them and try not to get our selves killed in the process.

Read what is here, they are all fact, google them if you like. This stuff is injuring us now so be careful. :devil:

Ya, so what products are causing these unjuries to us all any way?

I was googling around about officers injured or killed and found a new clip about Diane Henny that got her brain fried by OC. I tried to find it again and cant. Does anyone have that?

Quote Originally Posted by der rodden
    I was googling around about officers injured or killed and found a new clip about Diane Henny that got her brain fried by OC. I tried to find it again and cant. Does anyone have that?

This is it. Just cut and paste in your address bar or google it as it is written.

www.wpxi.com/video/26070192/index.html

and

www.wtae.com/r/22386258/detail.html

sad, sad, sad. wtf is in that stuff?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast