DEP using local Sheriff's Agency - Page 3
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Re: DEP using local Sheriff's Agency

Is it possible you are misunderstanding that the division is larger then the bureau, which means the division also includes our investigators with equates to another 40 or so people. If you have seen us all in action, you must be a well traveled person whom works and plays all over florida. I doubt this blanket statement is true. Which state agencies are smaller that serve a patrol function in State Government?????? Please provide the large list.

You obviously don't pay much attention to all agencies, or do you just take interest in ours? If not, look around, If I based my opinion of all SO's and PD's based off my locals, I would have a sour opinion of them and would feel most to be useless as well. Again, with enforcement, you can look it up, it is available to you via public record, I know you don't want to see the truth, but you will be surprised at what we enforce. But then again, that would ruin your negative image of us.

Good luck and best wishes to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Represent
    Quote Originally Posted by Guest
    Everyone knows you respond to natural disasters....its what you do the 600 days in between them that they are calling into question....worthless park goons

Our stats are public record, maybe you should request that before opening your mouth, you may be surprised in a way you won't like, cause it may show you to be the ill informed person you are.

Go pay your ticket and leave us alone. Don't speed next time by a car that says POLICE on it.
    If you are an example of the finest in Park Police, we all need help. If you are so worried about your stats., then answer me this. Why is it that of the 62 state wide officers the department has on hand, as you state, your agency total in the LE division is a little over 100. So in my calculations, that equates to about 40% of your agency is administrative. Hmmm, interesting numbers isn't it?
    Look at the other state agencies and see how many patrol officers they have verses administration. I know there are other agencies that are smaller, but somehow, someway they seem to earn their keep.
    Don't give me the line about natural disasters etc, etc. I have seen your agency work in natural disasters. Most of you can't even direct traffic! The other ones usually get hurt falling off the bicycles, or their ATV's. Don't get me started about enforcing laws. Unless it is a 62D violation, you can't do enforcement.
    Please don't tell me to pay my ticket and shut up, I have seen it all happen in DEP, and it ain't pretty. :snicker:

I am going to give you some shocking news, Register. Last year I took 45 people to jail. I am not doing so well this year, I have only taken nine. They means I made contact with them, developed probable cause, put handcuffs on them, searched them, transported them to the jail in my patrol vehicle cage, and filled out a booking sheet for each one. On most I collected evidence and submitted it to the property room. Shock, shock, shock! My squad which consists of 5 officers (we are short) took over 150 people to jail during the same period. Since 62Ds have for the most part been turned into infractions, rather than crimes, that means I must do more than enforce dogs on the beach.

During that time I don't recall ever calling the PD or SO to come out to help me, but if I did, I wouldn't hold my breath because I doubt if they could find me too fast because of the remote areas I work in.

So there you go Register, I don't know what DEP officers you deal with, but they are certainly not the ones I deal with. Also if this agency is eliminated, I am sure I could find a job somewhere else. There is always a need for good LEOs somewhere.

uhmmm could we please stay on topic here folks? I thought the topic was about the Hillsborough River State Park Police (ie DEP Park Patrol), having the Hillsborough County Sheriff's Office run the death investigation??? Focus people- focus...the merger issues come up every "session" and nothing ever merges so move on....unless breaking news from Tally says otherwise then you can worry about mergers....haven't even heard rumblings this session about merging LEO dept.'s because they're too concerned right now with cutting teacher's pay and everyone's retirement....that is what you should all be worried about -that my friends is a reality that will hit everyone of you no matter what agency you work for - your retirement will be slashed.
    Remember, stay focused on these discussion threads, the topic of this one happens to be why did the supervisor for DEP turn this investigation over to the Hillsborough County Sheriff's office? - and please don't say the SO barged in, I'm sure HSO has enough death investigations of their own, they didn't need to go "fishing" for one in a State Park.

You are missing the Point. Hillsborough SO is the Chief LE agency in the county. By law that Sheriff can work whatever he wants park or not. They work their own fatilities and do not have FHP do them why wold you think they need FDEP to a Death investigation. Come on. Its reality. Sheriffs in Florida are the Chief agency. Its not a dig but a law and facts are facts

I agree with you in some respect, the SO cannot take over just anything they want, but it only makes sense for the SO to work a homicide investigation. I have never in my years of LE seen any patrol officer work a homicide, it is called media suicide when a patrol officer F's up a homicide investigation. The SO has the resources for this, why would anyone ever expect the Park Police to conduct this investigation. Why would anyone think any patrol officer would conduct this investigation. I wouldn't even let a new detective work this. It takes years of experience and a good reputation as a homicide detective to work this type of case.

For those of you riding Park Police for this, all I got to say is get a life. I wouldn't let my patrol officers work this either. I think it was the right decision to have the agency with the resources and best suited for the problem to handle it. And to the poster with the ego complex, yes, SO1 is chief of the county, DEP works for the governor, whom is chief of the STATE. Let go of the complex your SO has given you, you are not god's gift to LE, you work at the whim of an elected official, just like the DEP officers.

uhmmm could we please stay on topic here folks? I thought the topic was about the Hillsborough River State Park Police (ie DEP Park Patrol), having the Hillsborough County Sheriff's Office run the death investigation??? Focus people- focus...the merger issues come up every "session" and nothing ever merges so move on....unless breaking news from Tally says otherwise then you can worry about mergers....haven't even heard rumblings this session about merging LEO dept.'s because they're too concerned right now with cutting teacher's pay and everyone's retirement....that is what you should all be worried about -that my friends is a reality that will hit everyone of you no matter what agency you work for - your retirement will be slashed.
    Remember, stay focused on these discussion threads, the topic of this one happens to be why did the supervisor for DEP turn this investigation over to the Hillsborough County Sheriff's office? - and please don't say the SO barged in, I'm sure HSO has enough death investigations of their own, they didn't need to go "fishing" for one in a State Park.

You are missing the Point. Hillsborough SO is the Chief LE agency in the county. By law that Sheriff can work whatever he wants park or not. They work their own fatilities and do not have FHP do them why wold you think they need FDEP to a Death investigation. Come on. Its reality. Sheriffs in Florida are the Chief agency. Its not a dig but a law and facts are facts

I don't have a problem with DEP. I just feel the State should have one agency to work parks, water, rural areas, huting enforcement, etc. Why does the State need both DEP and FWC?

Then write the govenor and let them know.

All Law enforcement in this state work for the same purpose. I think it just makes more sense to help each other out instead of bad mouthing the other agency. The option of merging agencies isn't up to the officer, if you ask most they would be more than happy to merge and cross train. It's the upper chain of command that would not merge because they would lose there high paying jobs. I hope I have the opportunity to help any agency, it's my job. Be safe all.

[quote="Guest"]I agree with you in some respect, the SO cannot take over just anything they want, but it only makes sense for the SO to work a homicide investigation. I have never in my years of LE seen any patrol officer work a homicide, it is called media suicide when a patrol officer F's up a homicide investigation. The SO has the resources for this, why would anyone ever expect the Park Police to conduct this investigation. Why would anyone think any patrol officer would conduct this investigation. I wouldn't even let a new detective work this. It takes years of experience and a good reputation as a homicide detective to work this type of case.

For those of you riding Park Police for this, all I got to say is get a life. I wouldn't let my patrol officers work this either. I think it was the right decision to have the agency with the resources and best suited for the problem to handle it. And to the poster with the ego complex, yes, SO1 is chief of the county, DEP works for the governor, whom is chief of the STATE. Let go of the complex your SO has given you, you are not god's gift to LE, you work at the whim of an elected official, just like the DEP officers.

Woow I guess I struck a nerve.. Hey dude if you want to work a Homicide...Knock yourself off. Ive done my share. I was not refering to an ego complex over a Sheriff's Office. Its simple Plain Florida LAW The Sheriff can do what he wants. The Sheriff works for the Governor elected by the people not a county. Geez. I didnt mean to make you shake in your boots. YES the Sheriff can work whatever he wants by the way. Thats not the point. Each Sheriff's Office in Florida be that known some are very small and can not do it on their own. SO with that said they outsource to other counties for help or they utilize FDLE for forensic and additional.

I am not saying FDEP could not but lets be realistic. Your Lieutenant would have baby cows. If it bothers you so much hey go appy at an SO or PD. Trust me when I tell you you have a great job but you make peanuts and it is not practical to support a family with. Hats off to you for staying with FDEP. Dont get so worked up in the furture. Stay safe...

Why do deputies always say they are the "chief law enforcement agency" when if 1 of them read a statute book written after florida reconstruction , thats after 1975 @ when all that wording was stricken, and is no longer in modern day law of florida.The only word chief with regards to Sheriff is timber agent, thats it..period. The laws of Florida and the jurisdiction there of are vested as follows "State", then "County" then City. This is too simple plus a State LEO has 67 times the police jurisdiction than ANY sheriff in florida. The wording the sheriff is the law enforcement officer of the county is true, hes the only county wide LEO, .

Re: DEP using Florida Sheriff's Agency and local PDs

As as a Peace officer sworn in Florida you may act and detain any felony committed in your presence outside of your designated geogrphical area. That would mean county dummy or city. In fact Most agencies have Officers and Deputies sworn in adjoing cites,counties so that the misdermeanors/traffic do not go unapproachable. So for you to say or thank that is obviously showing your narrow minded approach. I know Deputies in Florida that are sworn in 7 different counties because they are traffic and work wolf packs. SO try and do your homework before you start trashing other agencies. Besides I can put my paycheck on it if a domestic is called in at one of your state parks after 9p. Ill be it is local policeman or Deputy Sheriff will respond. You will respond the next day and take a report that a report was already taken by another LE agency. Kinda redundant but hey its true. Oh as for the Sheriff being the Chief LE in the county. Please re-read your statutue and history books that still exist today even after the Florida Sheriffs bureau of LE became the FDLE and then Coutnies began to elect Sheriff's through out this great state. The term "county mounty" comes from old raidio slang on the CB as does "Smoky Bear". It orginated form an OLD movie called Smokey and the Bandit with Burt Renolds and the county cops couldnt cross county lines. I have 20 years in this business and use to have one those K-40 antennas on the back of my crusier sitting off I-95. Hope you enjoyed some Florida History

Sheriff's Laws

MAJORITY ELECTED. Sixty-six of Florida's 67 counties have elected Sheriffs as their chief law-enforcement officers. Dade County (Miami) has an appointed chief law-enforcement officer whose title is Director of the Miami-Dade Police Department. Sheriffs serve four-year terms, and have primary jurisdiction that includes incorporated as well as unincorporated areas of each county. All Sheriffs and the Director of the Miami-Dade Police Department are active members of the Florida Sheriffs Association.

Wikepdia states
    This is just one of many.

Hillsborough County Sheriff's Office (HCSO) is the primary law enforcement agency for Hillsborough County, Florida, USA and is responsible for law enforcement services for the 888 square miles (2,300 km2) of unincorporated areas of the county as well as operation of the two jail facilities, a work release center, and provides courthouse security for the 13th Judicial Circuit. Each of the three incorporated cities (Tampa, Plant City, and Temple Terrace) has its own police agency. Tampa International Airport, and the University of South Florida also have independent police agencies.

The Sheriff is the chief law enforcement officer of the county. The current Sheriff is David Gee, elected in 2004 and re-elected in 2008 (with no opposition).

Although the 4th largest Sheriff's Office in the United States[2], the HCSO operates with one of the lowest officer to citizen ratios in the state with only 1.34 deputies per 1000 citizens.[2] The national average is 2.7 / 1000. The population of Hillsborough County in 2006 was 1,157,738[3]

then it goes into color schemes

30.46Sheriffs; motor vehicles color combination; badges; simulation prohibited; penalties.
    —(1)The color combination of forest green and white is adopted as the official color for use on the motor vehicles and motorcycles used by the sheriffs of Florida and their deputies.

(2)For purposes of uniformity and in aid of the recognition of their official identity by the public, a badge in the shape of a five-pointed star with a replica of the great seal of Florida with the map of Florida superimposed thereon inscribed in the center is designated as the official badge to be worn by the sheriffs and deputy sheriffs of all counties of the state.

(3)It shall be unlawful for any person other than the sheriffs of Florida and their deputies, to color or cause to be colored any motor vehicle or motorcycle the same or similar color combination prescribed herein; provided, however, that any municipal police department or other law enforcement agency or any private person or concern using the same or similar color combination as of the date of this act shall be permitted to continue to use such colors until such time as new colors are adopted by such agencies, or private person or concern.

(4)It shall be unlawful for any person other than sheriffs and deputy sheriffs to wear an official sheriff’s badge as prescribed herein, or to wear a badge or insignia of such similarity to the official sheriff’s badge as to be indistinguishable therefrom at a distance of 20 feet; provided, nothing therein shall be construed to prevent members of any military, fraternal, or similar organization or any other law enforcement officer from wearing any insignia officially adopted or worn prior to the effective date of this section.

(5)Violation of any of the provisions of this act shall be a misdemeanor of the first degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082 or s. 775.083.

History.—ss. 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, ch. 57-3; s. 13, ch. 71-136.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast