A plea for help - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: A plea for help

Re: A plea for help

We would like to review Russell's termination letter and Workers Compensation denial letter before we commit to giving him any money. Please post these documents so that we may review them for ourselves and determine the appropriate course of action. A good investigator never forms an opinion based on only one parties complaint. There are always two sides to every story and the truth usually lies somewhere in the middle.

Do you ask for a personal history when you give the guy in the median $1, "why aren't you employed" "why do you drink so much?" sometimes just give the money or decline to the story really doesnt matter its the person.

by the way, I have declined but each person needs to weigh their individual level of giving

Quote Originally Posted by Guest
    We would like to review Russell's termination letter and Workers Compensation denial letter before we commit to giving him any money. Please post these documents so that we may review them for ourselves and determine the appropriate course of action. A good investigator never forms an opinion based on only one parties complaint. There are always two sides to every story and the truth usually lies somewhere in the middle.
    I respect the fact that you are intrested in the facts, to be perfectly honest with you Im not very computer smart and don't know how to post the forms you are requesting. As to his termination letter it says that he resigned. What really happened is the city was screwing with him trying to force him back to a job he could not do so they could fire him. He followed the advice of his lawyer on not to accept their offer so since he did not contact the city they dug up a policy that says if you do not report for work for more than three days they assume you do not want to work there anymore so they use the excuse you resigned rather than them firing you at which point they would have to pay you unemployment.

Reference the work comp situation, when he lost the case in court due to very poor representation along with testimony from work comp hit doctors, they simply stopped his benefits which is what they have been fighting for. The sad part is he is still not well and he now has to see his own private doctor but without any insurance for the care and meds.

I would like to say that I have known Russell for many years. He is a good down to earth country boy with a big heart. But...he got tied up with this attorney who urged him on with the promise of a big settlement. "Stick to your guns Russell, there will be a big pay out." Well...here you go. It is 2010 and nothing. He was "allowed" to resign thus saving his retirement which he will get soon. I understand that this may have been his first "real" job. It is time to go out and find a non law enforcement job. Suck it up Russell. Man up. Its time to move on and get a job. I doubt your still injured. You can't tell me that there are no jobs that you can do. Leave these TPD guys alone.

I have known of many officers deputies who were injured on the job and never had a problem with workers comp. Those that are truly injured and the injury can be documented never have a problem. It is the Chiromed and Go ask Gary claims with those individuals trying to take an early out on the state's dime that have a problem. Give me a break PCS. He was told to go back to work and refused what do expect the dept to do; they had no choice but to fire his lazy arse. He could have easily finished his 2.5 years with Plant City PD but thought he had the upper hand and now he has to suffer the consequences. A good example is the TPD officer who was mowed down with an AK-47 years ago and only by the grace of god lived to tell about it. He was offered a disability retirement and refused it, to stay on the job. His gun shot injury weakened his humorous bone so bad he broke it in a struggle with a suspect several years later, yet he stayed on. The man lived in constant pain yet he stayed on. Russell gets a little bump on his head and refuses to go back to work after 8 months. Who needs this slacker?

WC witll screw you over if they can get away with it.

1) If WC takes the clam after 145days they are required by law to continue to care for the person for life. Unless a settlement is made.

2) Once an impairment is detirmined they are required to pay you for such impairment. a 65% impairment is worth around 265k. Required by law.

3) your atty will get approx $400.- 800 a month from tthe payments made from workmans comp. (just to write you a check.)

So what was his impairment rating. based upon that it would determine his disability. what body part was it for. ( a 65% impairment to the right big toe is still worth 265k just as much as a 65% to the lung.) yes its screwed up. The law changed aseveral years back screwing over the employee and saving the ins. companys from having to pay.

As for as employment at Plant City. The city will tell you that you are a at will employee. So dont forget if you had worked for Plant City for mor e then one year and get fired you can sue the city because you have an invested interest. In other words the officers at Plant City are not at will by law. It is not like the sheriffs office. If this officer can prove he was forced to resign under disstress his job would be reinstaed.

If you ask me try a dif. attorny who has no ties to the Plant City area. A WC atty is only going to wait for your impairment rate then file a motion for payment and sit back and collect from your injury. Try to fire that atty and as long as the motion was filed you will continue to pay. So while you loose your house, car, wife, kids and mans best friend his dog the atty, city and ins. comp. make a living. WC is required to retrain an injured employee (Retrain.) Not in something you may be interested in what thay feel is a good job for you. Also many policy are required to pay you a lost income replacement. so if you were making 12hr and could only find a job at 7 they would have to pay you the dif. of 5 an hour till you reached you orig. 12. Good luck on getting this. Your Atty will still get their 800 a month and you will still get your 7 buck an hour. what needs to be done is the law enforcement comunity needs to band together and fight for our rights. As I read some question this officers injury. But what about the officers who are injured and cant work guys. let it happen to you and you will see the end result.

Nice guy but lazy cop

I agree with the last post. If you read one of the earlier posts by his sister, you will see that he was going on the advice of his attorney. Allen saw dollar signs, and his attorney saw a chance at making a quick buck as well. Russell was a great down town officer. He was placed in that position though, because he was a slacker when he was on the road. He was reprimanded on at least one occasion that I can remember for not performing. He would write 3 or 4 UTC' a month for months on end until his car was taken away. Finally they decided to put him down town. It is true that he excelled in that position, which surprised everyone, but the true reason why he was put there was to get him off of the street so that a proactive officer could take his place.
    There has to be a job that he can hold down. Post traumatic bump on the head? Give me a break.

He was offered a disability retirement and refused it, to stay on the job. His gun shot injury weakened his humorous bone so bad he broke it in a struggle with a suspect several years later, yet he stayed on. The man lived in constant pain yet he stayed on. Russell gets a little bump on his head and refuses to go back to work after 8 months. Who needs this slacker?Preach it brother. You aint nothing but right. Read the above example Russell. If you wanted it bad enough you would have been popping excederins like M & M's buddy.

Quote Originally Posted by guest993737
    He was offered a disability retirement and refused it, to stay on the job. His gun shot injury weakened his humorous bone so bad he broke it in a struggle with a suspect several years later, yet he stayed on. The man lived in constant pain yet he stayed on. Russell gets a little bump on his head and refuses to go back to work after 8 months. Who needs this slacker?[quote:3uaezpcg]
    Preach it brother. You aint nothing but right. Read the above example Russell. If you wanted it bad enough you would have been popping excederins like M & M's buddy.[/quote:3uaezpcg]

There is really more to it than popping excedrins, he is popping narcartic pain killers and several other meds for brain injuries..The city was trying to force him to a job he could not do and then fire him. There is more to a head injury than head aches. Try getting your cognative skills out of wack and it effects ones judgement, reaction time, memory, dizzyness, blured vision, reasoning skills and much more..would you want a cop on the street like that..or better yet if that was you suffering those problems would you sit back and let your employer screw you over or would you take a chance and fight. Thats what happened to him. He faught for his rights and lost.

Quote Originally Posted by guest8593430
    I would like to say that I have known Russell for many years. He is a good down to earth country boy with a big heart. But...he got tied up with this attorney who urged him on with the promise of a big settlement. "Stick to your guns Russell, there will be a big pay out." Well...here you go. It is 2010 and nothing. He was "allowed" to resign thus saving his retirement which he will get soon. I understand that this may have been his first "real" job. It is time to go out and find a non law enforcement job. Suck it up Russell. Man up. Its time to move on and get a job. I doubt your still injured. You can't tell me that there are no jobs that you can do. Leave these TPD guys alone.
    Hey man and thanks for you compliment of me. Most everything you said is true except I was not offered to resign just to save my retirement, no one can touch my earned retirement. The city put me down as resigning when I failed to report to work following my lawyers advice. I am still having problems from my injury, not as bad as when it first happened but still there. The doctor advised me that it will take a very long time for the part of my brain that was injured to retrain itself and fully recover. Contrary to popular belief I have attempted employment but was let go do to not keeping up to par because of my injury. Now that my retirement is about to start I plan to start my own business which has been a dream of mine since a small child and that is my own custom slaughter house and meat processing business. I can work at that at my pace and no one else's. I cant believe my sister started this campaign for me but do to all the whinning and complaining ive seen, I dont want anyones money..Just simply keep it to yourself and everyone get their panties out of a wadd and let this issue go. The Lord has and will take care of me and thats all the help I need. I really do miss everyone and hope to see yall one day..Russ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast