Police cuts again?
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Police cuts again?

City's daily life faces cuts

By Michael Van Sickler, Times Staff Writer

Published Thursday, March 25, 2010

ST. PETERSBURG — The bleak economy is testing the limits of a city that prides itself on providing a good quality of life for its residents.

Libraries, pools and parks face drastic cuts that could limit the hours they are open or could close them altogether. The city's water resources department will consider rate increases this year to cover shortfalls. City landmarks like Sunken Gardens, the Mahaffey Theater, the Coliseum and the marina anticipate cutting back on upkeep, which could threaten the aesthetic appeal they need to succeed.

Even the police and fire departments, which have expenses that are considered the easiest to defend politically, are mulling cuts that would have been unimaginable a few years ago.

This is what awaits Bill Foster as he enters his first budget season as mayor. He will weigh cuts big and small that cover a wide array of services that touch upon almost every aspect of city life.

Glimpses of the tough decisions ahead were sent to him last week by city department heads. It's been a grim annual ritual since the 1990s for St. Petersburg mayors to have departments propose cuts of varying degrees. Last year, Mayor Rick Baker asked departments to propose cuts of 5 percent, 7 percent and 10 percent. This year, Foster asked to review proposed cuts of 3 percent, 5 percent and 7 percent.

They are only proposed, however, and many won't be made. But they do provide the rookie mayor a vantage point from which to survey what's at stake in a 2011 budget that's expected to have a shortfall of more than $10 million.

"When Baker was mayor, we went through repeated budgets where we lowered the (tax rate) and cut service," said Goliath Davis, senior administrator of city development. "So we've already cut the fat. Now we're cutting into bone."

Many department heads warned that some reductions could create a vicious cycle, where services or maintenance cuts trigger further revenue problems for the city.

For instance, to meet a 3 percent reduction, the city's billing and collections department is proposing to lay off an employee who tracks down parking ticket scofflaws. But the $49,840 the city would save might be offset by lost revenue. The city currently has a 95 percent collection rate.

To meet a 5 percent reduction, the city would save $37,876 by cutting a parking enforcement officer. The problem with that? Fewer people to check the city's 1,400 parking meters in downtown and Treasure Island Beach. Full parking meters make tempting targets for thieves. If they aren't emptied out soon enough, the city will lose money to theft and malfunctions caused by excess coins.

The most dire cuts were proposed by police and fire departments.

Police Chief Chuck Harmon has suggested eliminating the five-officer DUI squad, along with 28 civilian employees if he's forced to cut 5 percent from his budget.

In fire, the department would sacrifice an entire engine and the five firefighters who ride it to make a 5 percent cut. The city's response rating could be a risk, which could mean higher insurance rates.

Yet the possibility Foster might take an ax to either police or fire is remote, considering that on last year's campaign trail he said he'd try to leave those services alone. He affirmed that goal this week.

But after last month's public backlash against Foster's cuts at the Boyd Hill Nature Preserve, even fire Chief James Large isn't so sure.

"If you get the public outcry to save the pools, the libraries and the Boyd Hill rangers, then it'll be that much easier to cut firefighters," Large said. "It won't be until the city has a huge fire loss that people will say, 'That's what happens when you cut essential services.' "

Still, it's hard to distinguish what's essential and what's not when it comes to city services, Harmon said. Cutting one has a domino effect.

"When you cut pools and rec centers and libraries, you have more kids out on the street," Harmon said. "And we're not as efficient in dealing with kids as those programs are."

While Foster said he has immersed himself in the budget, he planned to review the proposed cuts for the first time Wednesday.

"I'm prepared for the worst," he said.

While he already has a list of priorities he wants to spare, he welcomes residents' opinions. In April, the first of three budget summits will be held. Each month, he hosts a town hall meeting that's open to everyone. And the Council of Neighborhood Associations has been meeting with administrators to discuss the budget. The public hearings that come later in the year are usually too late to matter, Foster said.

"The public needs to exercise its voice and come to these events," he said. "Get engaged. That's the only way we're going to hear what the public thinks is important in the budget."

Michael Van Sickler can be reached at mvansickler@sptimes.com or (727) 893-8037.

What might be cut?

This year's proposed cuts by department heads provide a glimpse of how tighter budget constraints may degrade quality of life in St. Petersburg. Here's a sampling of the proposals offered at 3 percent, 5 percent and 7 percent reductions:

Higher or new fees

Mahaffey Theater: A $0.25 or $0.50 hike in facility fee tacked onto tickets. It's now $2, which is what Ruth Eckerd Hall charges, but less than the $3.50 charge at the Straz Performing Arts Center in Tampa.

Summer camp fees: Parks and Recreation estimates it can raise $51,040 by hiking full-day play camp fees by 5 percent.

Reduced hours

City Hall and the Municipal Services Center: (3 percent) Would be open only four days a week to save $40,000 in electricity. These buildings would stay open longer the other four days a week to compensate.

Pools: (3 percent) Friday morning hours would be cut. (7 percent) One of two night swims at neighborhood pools would be eliminated. Jennie Hall and Shore Acres pools would be closed.

Libraries: Would cut up to five positions and reduce hours at the 7 percent reduction, saving $429,878.

Longer waits

Mid Core Garage at BayWalk: (3 percent) Save $70,000 by cutting contract employees, which it says would lead to "long waits to exit the BayWalk garage." Another drawback? "Less clean facility."

Rays games: (3 percent) The city could save $267,500 by paring back police services for traffic control around Tropicana Field after games. This could lead to "traffic delays and may pose safety concerns." But officials say there are no planned cuts at Tropicana Field.

Less maintenance

Foul smells: (3 percent) The Water Resources Department would cut back on chemicals it uses to treat waste water, causing odor problems and likely prompting complaints.

The Coliseum: (3 percent) Cuts $4,620 in facility repairs. For a historic landmark that needs constant upkeep, that could cost the city more later.

Sunken Gardens: (3 percent) Nearly $11,000 in cuts to custodial services, pest control and other maintenance may result in "substandard appearance for facility."

Worse service

Customer service: (3 percent) A utility payment window at Enoch Davis Center that handled 38,000 payments last year would be closed. Three customer service representatives would lose their jobs. (7 percent) Four full-time staffers and two field representatives lose their jobs in billings and collections, raising the risk of "multiple billing errors and further degradation of customer service." Saves $200,000.

The Pier: (3 percent) At a time when the city's trying to promote the financially struggling Pier, management is considering cutting ads and weekend family entertainment to save $46,535. (5 percent) Saves another $30,533 in more ad reductions and tourist promotions. (7 percent) Another $37,086 is saved, but three part-time employees at the concierge center get cut and the Breakfast with Santa event and Jingle Bell Run entertainment is eliminated.

The Looper Route Service: (5 percent) Hours would be reduced on weekdays, delaying service start to 11 am. (7 percent) Friday night service would be discontinued.

Public safety concerns

Police: (3 percent) $2.59 million in cuts, which includes reduced overtime and elimination of nine civilian positions. (5 percent) Another $1.7 million is cut with eliminating 28 full time jobs, including five sworn officers who make up the entire DUI squad. (7 percent) Another $1.8 million is cut, including 23 sworn officer positions. These cuts result in fewer narcotics search warrants, diminished investigations and lower prioritized crimes not getting investigated in a timely manner.

Fire: (3 percent) $950,098 in cuts, eliminating 11 full-time positions. (5 percent) Another $604,336 gets cut. Two more firefighters and three lieutenants would lose their jobs. (7 percent) Another $607,546 gets cut. Three more firefighters and two district chiefs would be eliminated.

What might be cut? Some examples

Worse service: Hours for the Looper Downtown Trolley might be reduced.

Higher, or new fees: Full-day play camp fees might go up.

Shorter hours: Pool hours might be cut; two pools may close under one scenario.

Talking Re: Police cuts again?

Funny how there is no mention of getting rid of any high paying positions within the department or city administration. I guess the Tango Units are just not creating enough revenue, they only make what about 600 DUI arrests per year and probably triple that or more in citations. That's probably revenue that we don't really need. I think what the mayor needs to do is restructure our administration, drop the dead weight, and put some competent leadership in place. :shock:

Re: Police cuts again?

I have always heard that the reason we have Majors in some positions is because its cheaper than paying over time to Lt's. Well if they can tell patrol no overtime and they just took one of the Lt's responsibilities away (Fencing reports) then you can say that a few Major positions could be reduced to Lt's or eliminated all together, why is this not in Chunky's proposed cuts. Change a few Majors to Lt's and say no overtime in this position. You are the Chief, don't your subordinates follow your directions. Even the Fire Department sees it has to cut Lt's and Chiefs in its cut backs. Come on Foster lets make these upper management personnel work for their hundreds of thousands of dollars and come up with creative new ways to bring in revenue. I suggest more traffic enforcement units. I don't like to admit it but those guys make a ton of money for the City by writing everyday people tickets. Granted those people did violate what ever traffic law they are getting a ticket for.

[b]This is getting old. There is a simple and effective solution to reduction of the SP city budget with MINIMUM adverse impact upon the taxpaying members of the City:
    1) fire Go D and his entire staff
    2) reduce the FD budget where there is obvious gross featherbedding. They don't need to stay at, or even go to, every car crash when they have been told there are no injuries. If they were freed-up more quickly, the true amount of actual need would become obvious. The FD is so bloated with non-productive employee hours that it is embarrassing. Yea,I can hear all the FD brothers (who work so little that many of them are able to work another full time job on the side) whining like pigs. The Truth hurts.
    3) increase productivity of those VERY HIGH paid administrators administrators. The free ride in public employment needs to be curtailed.
    4) higher younger and lower paid workers to replace retired ( but still on the payroll :cry: ) city employees.
    5) Just look at the number of workers at every "project" in the city; one or two are working and Three more are standing around doing NOTHING MOST OF THE DAY. Reduce those staffs, but keep the productive workers.
    5) have volunteers trained to take non-emergency calls PD and FD in areas of the city that are frequent users of PD and FD services.

The spending of SP has been out of control for political reasons for the past 5 years. NOW is the time to correct it! :roll:
    :cop: :cop: :cop:

Here is another idea.....how about having the PD only respond to police related calls and not issues which are only civil in nature. We handle more BS calls than necessary which could be obviously screened out. Also, why have we not created an ordinance allowing us to impound a vehicle whenever the driver is arrested for anything......hmm, talk about generating some revenue. We could also go to a limited amount 2 man cars in certain zones which would handle all domestics and priority calls needing a two officer response, thus saving not only gas money and repairs on one vehicle but also making additional fleet cars available so that new ones do not have to be purchased as often. Come on folks, I came up with these ideas in just a few minutes....I am sure that we can come up with plenty more. :cop: :idea:

There are more 100K staffers in headquarters then there are 911 responders on the street on day shift. My God can't they se the waist here at the do nothing staff level.

Quote Originally Posted by Guest
    [b]This is getting old. There is a simple and effective solution to reduction of the SP city budget with MINIMUM adverse impact upon the taxpaying members of the City:
    2) reduce the FD budget where there is obvious gross featherbedding. They don't need to stay at, or even go to, every car crash when they have been told there are no injuries. If they were freed-up more quickly, the true amount of actual need would become obvious. The FD is so bloated with non-productive employee hours that it is embarrassing. Yea,I can hear all the FD brothers (who work so little that many of them are able to work another full time job on the side) whining like pigs. The Truth hurts.
    3) increase productivity of those VERY HIGH paid administrators administrators. The free ride in public employment needs to be curtailed.
    4) higher younger and lower paid workers to replace retired ( but still on the payroll :cry: ) city employees.
    5) Just look at the number of workers at every "project" in the city; one or two are working and Three more are standing around doing NOTHING MOST OF THE DAY. Reduce those staffs, but keep the productive workers.
    5) have volunteers trained to take non-emergency calls PD and FD in areas of the city that are frequent users of PD and FD services.

The spending of SP has been out of control for political reasons for the past 5 years. NOW is the time to correct it! :roll:
    Featherbedding: The practice (usually by a labor union) of requiring an employer to hire more workers than are required.

"...obvious gross featherbedding" Are you for real? Are you really a Union Brother? Have you been to as many of your Union's negotiations as this featherbedding Fire Fighter has? I wonder. I've yet to hear a Fire Fighter on this job treat any SPPD LEO the way you treat us on this board yet you come back round after round denouncing us like Foster is begging for your erudite (delusional) orations.

Have you read the newspapers lately? We're the only fire dept. in the Tampabay area whose chief will admit to operating ladder trucks with two on board. When I first came on the job there were four and five riding the rigs. If you don't like us showing up at every MVA with no injuries, why don't your ride your azz up to Pinellas County Dispatch and lecture them on the subject of dispatching to a county of 900,000 residents. It's not the rank and file's fault at SPPD but if it weren't for your Fire Fighters running 10-18 on every call to a MVA and then sitting on them for 20 minutes or more without the first sign of PD, situations that often times start out as simple, quickly grow in complexity. You're welcome!

And if we chose to haul-azz, (as you suggest) at the first sign of 'no injuries' on every MVA, we'd leave the public standing in the middle of the road without any public-safety protection whatsoever. We often times stay for extended periods of time after hazard mitigation, just to protect the LEO on scene with our apparatus. You're welcome!

Are you really embarrassed with our "non-productive employee hours"? I'm like Pavlov's dog. When the bell rings, I jump. Yup. You read it here first. I get paid to be ready to answer a bell. When your mother needs to be picked up off the floor from between the toilet and the bathtub where she's been laying for the past 24 hours, I gladly respond. When your sixteen year old daughter gets half her forehead peeled back in the auto accident she was just in, I gladly respond. When your house is on it's way to that great lumber pile in the sky, I gladly respond.

Oddly enough, you make reference to 'hours' and I'd just like to know what hours would be convenient for you to have me work? We're a 24 hour service because people need help 24 hours a day. We can't catch a break with you, can we?

As to your remarks about another full time job... I work a average 53 hours work week. If I choose to spend my off-days in a hospital ER or maybe on a Lifeguard helicopter or teaching at the fire academy or at an EMS gig or be the greeter at Walmart...... what's it to you? You're not the one paying my mortgage and your life's not being shortened because of my sleep-deprivation.

"I can hear all the FD brothers whining like little pigs."
    With the obvious grudge you're holding, some jock FF must have stole your wife. And if you'd resign yourself to not calling us BROTHERS - you can't imagine how happy you'd make us. I've got plenty of good friends on SPPD and none of them rise to the level of 'petty' that you do.

FD Bro'

as a veteran police officer I can honestly say that cutting firefighters or paramedics is not the answer to trimming the budget. firefighters/paramedics don't want to run on every call but they like a patrol officer have no choice as to what calls they are sent to. the city can save huge amounts of money by cutting G.D.(got nothing against the man but his job/position is honestly not needed), at least one asst police chief and at least four majors (got nothing against them neither, but their positions are not needed, why do we need a major to oversee four people, couldn't a sergeant do that.

here's another savings, quit sending officers to work first friday and or every other friday and saturday night to help with the bar crowds. cancel first friday (just an excuse to get plastered drunk) or require every business at janus landing to pay for 10 off duty officers. write a city ordinance requiring bars with more than 75 persons to hire an off duty officer (why should the non drinking/partying citizens pay for officers to patrol bars).

Quote Originally Posted by FD Bro'
    Quote Originally Posted by Guest

Featherbedding: The practice (usually by a labor union) of requiring an employer to hire more workers than are required.

"...obvious gross featherbedding" Are you for real? Are you really a Union Brother? Have you been to as many of your Union's negotiations as this featherbedding Fire Fighter has? I wonder. I've yet to hear a Fire Fighter on this job treat any SPPD LEO the way you treat us on this board yet you come back round after round denouncing us like Foster is begging for your erudite (delusional) orations.

Have you read the newspapers lately? We're the only fire dept. in the Tampabay area whose chief will admit to operating ladder trucks with two on board. When I first came on the job there were four and five riding the rigs. If you don't like us showing up at every MVA with no injuries, why don't your ride your azz up to Pinellas County Dispatch and lecture them on the subject of dispatching to a county of 900,000 residents. It's not the rank and file's fault at SPPD but if it weren't for your Fire Fighters running 10-18 on every call to a MVA and then sitting on them for 20 minutes or more without the first sign of PD, situations that often times start out as simple, quickly grow in complexity. You're welcome!

And if we chose to haul-azz, (as you suggest) at the first sign of 'no injuries' on every MVA, we'd leave the public standing in the middle of the road without any public-safety protection whatsoever. We often times stay for extended periods of time after hazard mitigation, just to protect the LEO on scene with our apparatus. You're welcome!

Are you really embarrassed with our "non-productive employee hours"? I'm like Pavlov's dog. When the bell rings, I jump. Yup. You read it here first. I get paid to be ready to answer a bell. When your mother needs to be picked up off the floor from between the toilet and the bathtub where she's been laying for the past 24 hours, I gladly respond. When your sixteen year old daughter gets half her forehead peeled back in the auto accident she was just in, I gladly respond. When your house is on it's way to that great lumber pile in the sky, I gladly respond.

Oddly enough, you make reference to 'hours' and I'd just like to know what hours would be convenient for you to have me work? We're a 24 hour service because people need help 24 hours a day. We can't catch a break with you, can we?

As to your remarks about another full time job... I work a average 53 hours work week. If I choose to spend my off-days in a hospital ER or maybe on a Lifeguard helicopter or teaching at the fire academy or at an EMS gig or be the greeter at Walmart...... what's it to you? You're not the one paying my mortgage and your life's not being shortened because of my sleep-deprivation.

"I can hear all the FD brothers whining like little pigs."
    With the obvious grudge you're holding, some jock FF must have stole your wife. And if you'd resign yourself to not calling us BROTHERS - you can't imagine how happy you'd make us. I've got plenty of good friends on SPPD and none of them rise to the level of 'petty' that you do.

FD Bro'
    TO FD BRO:
    HAVE TO AGREE WITH THE ORIGINAL POSTER, ME THINKS THOU DOTH PROTEST TOO MUCH. THE ORIGINAL POSTER MUST HAVE HIT THE CENTER RING ON THE TARGET. LOTS OF LEO'S KNOW THAT IT'S TIME FOR ACCOUNTABILITY WITH THE FD, AND NOT SCARE COMMENTS OF "WHAT IFS" THAT ARE TOO COSTLY.

FD BRO I can't beleive you let yourself get baited by thesed self serving politicos...you know dammm well that wasn't posted by any officre at the SPPD as we of all people know the lack of public safety the really exists. I'd bet posts like that are the work of a couple certain council members....we know who she and the others are!!

Its funny..they'll be the first ones to call when they stub their big toe in the middle of the night while jumping from bed to call the police when the wind blows a branch against their back door.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast