Pender wins Job Back

Pender wins Job Back

From TDO.com

The only Tallahassee police officer fired for his role in the death of confidential informant Rachel Hoffman could be back on the job soon.

An arbitrator has ordered the city to reinstate former Investigator Ryan Pender, along with back pay and benefits. At most, ruled Tampa-based arbitrator Christopher Shulman, Pender should receive a written reprimand for allowing Hoffman to be frisked by a male officer.

Shulman said that it was wrong of the Tallahassee Police Department to fire Pender when it lacked adequate policies and rules governing the use of confidential informants.

"I am not exonerating (Pender) for the lapses in judgment the record suggests he made related to his selection and employment of Ms. Hoffman as a CI," Shulman wrote in his award. "It is the lack of procedures at the time, and the approval of the operational plan by his superiors, which prevent a finding of proper cause for discipline."

Pender's attorney, Paul Villeneuve, received word of the award Saturday. He said Pender is eager to get back to work "I've always had confidence Ryan didn't do anything wrong," Villeneuve said. "I'm glad that the arbitrator saw it that way."

Pender was Hoffman's primary TPD contact and the lead officer in charge of a May 7, 2008, drug sting operation that ended in the 23-year-old's death. Step brothers-in-law Deneilo Bradshaw and Andrea Green, from whom Hoffman was to buy drugs and gun that day, are serving life sentences for her murder.

Police Chief Dennis Jones said he was disappointed with the arbitrator's decision.

"I still feel that my original decision was the right one," Jones said. "Arbitrators are generally known to favor the employee over the employer."

City officials are reviewing the award to see if there are any grounds for appeal. If the order is not challenged, Jones said Pender will be reinstated and an assignment will be found for him.

Hoffman's parents, who are suing the city for their daughter's wrongful death, expressed resignation.

"It's really no surprise," said Irv Hoffman. "Rachel's mother and I have no control over that, and we know that the only place Ryan Pender and the Tallahassee Police Department will ever be held accountable for our daughter's death is in the civil courts. We hold them all accountable."

The family's attorney, Lance Block, said the city put on a half-hearted case against Pender, limiting the charges against him and only putting before the arbitrator evidence of what happened up to the time officers lost contact with Hoffman. The city only called one witness — Chief Jones — during the two-day hearing.

"Given the magnitude of this tragedy, who cares about the way Rachel was frisked or that Ryan Pender let the sting money out his sight?" Block said. "It's tragically ironic that Rachel lost her life because of Ryan Pender's cavalier disregard for her safety, yet he hasn't even lost a nickel's worth of pay, much less his job."

But Villeneuve said the arbitrator's award absolves Pender of any responsibility for Hoffman's death.

"We are exceptionally grateful that Investigator Pender can close this chapter of his life," Villeneuve said. "We are sure that the department will welcome his return as he has always been a valuable asset to their organization."

Shulman said Pender was not given adequate instruction and that he could not be blamed for Hoffman's failure to turn into Forestmeadows Park and her fateful decision to follow Green and Bradshaw to dead-end Gardner Road where she was shot five times.

"It is not reasonable to turn the fact that Ms. Hoffman took it upon herself in those few seconds to disregard (Pender's) instructions — and subsequently lost her life — into a basis for discipline," Shulman wrote.

Said Steve Slade, president of the Big Bend Chapter of the Florida Police Benevolent Association: "The system works."

Re: Pender wins Job Back

Police Chief Dennis Jones said he was disappointed with the arbitrator's decision.

"I still feel that my original decision was the right one," Jones said. "Arbitrators are generally known to favor the employee over the employer."

Let me get this right " chief ". An independent arbitrator says your decision was WRONG, and yet you cannot admit it. You, as well as any informed person, know it was a strictly political move when you fired the officer. When you walk the halls of your palace, just know that everyone is laughing under their breath at you!!

Quote Originally Posted by Guest II

Let me get this right " chief ". An independent arbitrator says your decision was WRONG, and yet you cannot admit it. You, as well as any informed person, know it was a strictly political move when you fired the officer. When you walk the halls of your palace, just know that everyone is laughing under their breath at you!!

Ryan was used as the fall guy. Your departments fall guy. Ryan deserves everything he is getting. He didn't make decisions on his own, he was directed from someone higher up. Duh, is that hard to figure out?

I enjoyed watching Falcon Crest back in the 80's

Lightbulb Re: Pender wins Job Back

This is great news for the Pender family. Congrats Ryan !!!!! Now, go show the a**holes that turned their back on you what you're made of. Show them how o be a real cop.

Quote Originally Posted by LargoKid
    This is great news for the Pender family. Congrats Ryan !!!!! Now, go show the a**holes that turned their back on you what you're made of. Show them how o be a real cop.
    Amen Brother

My sincere congratulations to Ryan Pender!!!! Let this be a huge lesson to the higher ups that YOU TOO will be challenged sometimes for your own decision making. I am waiting for the law to pass one day that will hold parents more accountabile in decisions to get their kids the assistance they need, so a Rachel Hoffman tragedy never occurs again.