I'm not surprised - Page 2
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Re: I'm not surprised

Hey, I was just trying to start something...this is great. You gotta admit that "TruTV" stuff was dragging on and on.

Quote Originally Posted by River Veteran
    Then get lost, but while you're here stop bad-mouthing the very agency that sends you a paycheck! The reason some of you are here is because you know you wouldn't last a week in the private world where you actually had to produce. If it's that bad, get outta here.
    Actually, I got lost a while ago. I loved the work and was there for a lot longer than most. However, I found it very frustrating having a job that I truly enjoyed, but where I could not provide for my family. Year after year I hoped for a change. I finally saw the writing on the wall when the legislature had a $3 billion surplus and gave us nothing. I hated leaving, but, in hind sight, it was the smartest move I ever made. The state hasn't given you a raise since I left, and now they're probably going to slash pension benefits.

If the proposed changes pass, it will not be a matter of IF state LEOs will have to find a new career, but WHEN. You can put in your 30 years with the state, retire, and start a new job to support yourself. Or, you can find one now, and enjoy your retirement years. Pretty sad.

River Vet,

No matter how good people have it, they always think the grass is greener on the other side. I, for one, am very happy to be here and think this LEO job is the best in the state. Why do I think that? Since I came over from the other side of the fence and know money is not everything. If you don't like it here, because you live beyond your means, find somewhere else to work. Don't be angry and disgruntled.

My point exactly. I've said many times that I admire a person who sacrifices for his family to provide them a better life. I also admire a person who sacrifices to be able to stay with a career he enjoys, by cutting costs at every opportunity. What I despise is a person who does as little as possible, continues to draw pay, and runs down the agency and it's employees at every opportunity. Nobody drafted you to work here. You sought us out and you're free to leave at any time. I keep hoping conditions will improve and some of the good officers who left can return, but I'm beginning to wonder...

I agree with the River Vet hopefully things will improve for the officers because it is a great career, unparalleled by any other career. As far as bad mouthing the place where you work like everyone has said if you have to do it then move on. There are plenty of happy people that are more than willing to take your spot immediately.

Quote Originally Posted by Guest
    I agree with the River Vet hopefully things will improve for the officers because it is a great career, unparalleled by any other career. As far as bad mouthing the place where you work like everyone has said if you have to do it then move on. There are plenty of happy people that are more than willing to take your spot immediately.
    actually, that is not the case. there is a big problem finding qualified applicants. hence the reason people that can not swim have been hired recently. the standards have been lowered to the point that they are hiring pure Artards lately. the applicant pool will not get any better if they money does not.

Quote Originally Posted by River Veteran
    My point exactly. I've said many times that I admire a person who sacrifices for his family to provide them a better life. I also admire a person who sacrifices to be able to stay with a career he enjoys, by cutting costs at every opportunity. What I despise is a person who does as little as possible, continues to draw pay, and runs down the agency and it's employees at every opportunity. Nobody drafted you to work here. You sought us out and you're free to leave at any time. I keep hoping conditions will improve and some of the good officers who left can return, but I'm beginning to wonder...
    RV, I respect your dedication and hard work. If you knew me, you'd know that I always gave my all at FWC. I've read many of your posts and it appears that you live in a rural part of the state and supplement your income by raising live stock.

Have you ever lived in South Florida, the Keys, or any coastal metropolitan area? Even after the real estate collapse, officers are hard pressed to pay the most basic living expenses. There are only so many cost cutting measures you can make. If you're struggling to pay the rent, how do you save for retirement? If the proposed pension changes are passed, officers would have virtually nothing to show for thirty years of service. What are officers supposed to do?

I think you have it wrong about the complainers. They don't hate the job, they love it. What they hate is that they don't receive fair compensation and have to scrape by, pay check to paycheck, and can't keep their heads above water. What they hate is that nobody in Tallahassee cares, including the FWC administration.

I know so many outstanding officers that have come and gone from FWC, men and women that are now in leadership roles in local, state and federal agencies. They all loved the work they did at FWC. I sometimes imagine what the agency would have been like had some of them stayed, instead of taking their talents elsewhere. Then I see whose getting promoted these days and shake my head. Things could have been so different.

I totally agree with all the above and sympathize with officers who are having a tough time making it on our pay. Most of the junk I start on here is just to either get a relavent conversation going, or express another point of view. The complainers I refer to are the ones who do nothing more than that...complain. I respect anyone who sees things that are wrong and works to make them better, but continues to work hard and represent the agency well when they are 10-8. If you can't at least do that, then please move on and stay out of the way of those who are trying to help. I think you are one of those who made our agency better while you were here, and one of those I wish could come back one day.

I am so glad to finally read some intelligent conversation. I have a job that is not meeting my expectations so I am looking for another. It is pretty tough to find a good job that pays well right now. I will keep looking. But, I will not bad mouth my company to others while I am searching for a new job. When you do that, it only makes you look bad. I have been amazed at some of the attitudes on here. It has been very disturbing at the least. I hope you all stay safe and that the "powers that be" in Tallahassee will finally do the right thing!

We're happy you are listening in mom. If you are really one of our officer's mom, I hope he (or she) is making it OK and will be able to make a career of it. If you haven't found yourself a better job yet, we'd love to have you. Check in with a recruiter at one of our regional offices.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast