Investigations - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Investigations

Re: Investigations

Quote Originally Posted by t-sherman
    Hey, my union just left while I am under investigation! WTF do I do now, i dont know what to do. Who do I call, the warden told me that they dont do referals.
    The rep just call me back and told me she dont do it any more because of the investigation they are going through and she dont want to get in trouble. I ask for my dues back so I can get a lawyer and she said that she can not get ahold of the guy in phoenix that has all the money. They told me at cota that they where the best now what?

Quote Originally Posted by t-sherman"
    Quote Originally Posted by "t-sherman
    Hey, my union just left while I am under investigation! WTF do I do now, i dont know what to do. Who do I call, the warden told me that they dont do referals.
    The rep just call me back and told me she dont do it any more because of the investigation they are going through and she dont want to get in trouble. I ask for my dues back so I can get a lawyer and she said that she can not get ahold of the guy in phoenix that has all the money. They told me at cota that they where the best now what?

I love when I get e-mails like this. E-mail me direct to the MOD 613. If you would like let me know what is going on, where you work, who you are, your rank, etc. I will ask if I can post some of your story minus your name and spacifices. Then I will look around in your area to see who can help you, I know alot of people.

What is sad is that no matter which department in law enforcement there is, there is no employee assistance for those in trouble, only for the department. This is why there has to be "employee organizations" as this department calls them. This is the main reason that I chose to be of some assistance to those that do not know how to help them selves.

I will only tell you fact based on policy and the law. I do not provide defense or write your responses. I know alot people that are willing to help. Unfurtunately my best advice is to join one of the "employee organizations' because in the line of duty you may have to shoot some one. I have a religious conviction against unions so there is only one organization that I can or will belong to. I will not suggest you to join or who to join, I will only say is do your research. You would not invest your money with the loudest bank that say they are the best when they do not even have tellers would you?

Well, that was an interesting conversation. It took me awhile to break through the propaganda and ideology of what this Officers union tells their members. Let’s talk about mistake vs. misconduct. Mistake is just that, a mistake. Misconduct is you meant and were willing to violate a rule, procedure, law, or policy. If you were speeding, you meant and were willing to violate the law and you deserve a ticket. If the speed sign changed and you did not see it then you mistakenly broke the law and may get a ticket or may get a warning. If you go to court the judge may throw it out or may make you pay only court costs. We have all been through that.

We do not get a free ride. This Officer, a father knows quite well after I used his supervision of his children as an example. Why would he feel that he could violate safety and security procedures and want to get away with it with no corrective action? He does not let his children get away with bad conduct, no matter how long ago they did it. LAW ENFORCEMENT IS NO DIFFERENT. When I make a mistake I can be fired on the spot!! No rights!! When "line staff" make a mistake or have misconduct they have rights. They have the right to due process, a trial if you wish, and are allowed to state their side and call witnesses to their reasoning of the action that led to the mistake. Where, beside some organizations BS they say that is not true or reasonable, would you think that you should not be held accountable.

Though the difference would be reasonable and prudent. Was your record taken into account, was the circumstances taken into account. If you have no disciplinary and 100 call ins you may get time off. If you have no call in s and a poor pace score and entries for willingness to not follow directions you may get time off. If you are a good Officer then maybe you should not get time off. If you do and feel it is not fair then you can grieve it. This is when you may want to seek some one that is good at grievances.

It is a fact that Officers have been killed or injured because of complacency. In the correctional unwritten dictionary the definition of COMPLACENCY is "an employee’s willingness to short cut, violate or ignore safety, security, procedures and policies to do their job easier to the health and safety of their fellow employees." Complacency kills in every type career in the world.

So in short, with this Officers permission, this Officer screwed up. He became complacent and had forgotten about the rule he violated and did not know of a memo that had come out about a change in procedures, a mistake. He felt comfortable being a leader of peers and running his yard and failed to notify a supervisor of his action, this was misconduct. He IS a darn good Officer and a hero in my books.
    He is just not versed in the investigations and disciplinary process. The gentleman that I know in his neck of the woods is having heart surgery so I suggested some one out of Phoenix to help him. After a lengthy discussion and my placing this Officer in the Administrators shoes, he agreed he boo booed and feels that a couple of days off would be warranted. The guy I sent him to is now negotiating this with administration instead of the termination they want. We will keep you updated.

I work in (Removed by moderator for privacy reasons), probably many have not heard of us since we are alllllllll alone. I got myself in a little trouble due to my opinion at work. It is something that I already admitted to and apologized for on my 601. It was not political or threatening to anyone, racist, derogetory, or sexist but it was unprofessional and would warrant a letter of reprimand at max. Now they are telling me that CIU is coming all the way here from phoenix to interigate me. I called my buddy who is the (Removed by moderator for privacy for the buddy) rep here. He says that they are shut down and that he was not told anything. He says that he does not know what to do for me.

What do I do, who do I call, please help!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Miamidesert48
    I work in (Removed by moderator for privacy reasons), probably many have not heard of us since we are alllllllll alone. I got myself in a little trouble due to my opinion at work. It is something that I already admitted to and apologized for on my 601. It was not political or threatening to anyone, racist, derogetory, or sexist but it was unprofessional and would warrant a letter of reprimand at max. Now they are telling me that CIU is coming all the way here from phoenix to interigate me. I called my buddy who is the (Removed by moderator for privacy for the buddy) rep here. He says that they are shut down and that he was not told anything. He says that he does not know what to do for me.

What do I do, who do I call, please help!!!!!!!
    Sorry for the long time to reply folks, but things happen at our job that requires us to focus on tactics rather than blogging.

We talk about investigations and the disciplinary that the department’s administration hands out. To me, at this point, it seems to be all over the place. There is no consistency with how disciplinary is used or administered to its employees. My boss just served several weeks off for an Officers mistake at another complex. The Officer got 8 hours off for something that the Officer at minimum should have gotten 80 hours for. So you can see how we are held responsible as well.

I had a long talk with this Officer above. This Officer is going through a tough divorce, may lose half of the retirement that the Officer has worked so hard to get, and has to work at the most dangerous and stressful job in America. This does not excuse what the Officer snapped at his supervisor with. At the maximum this Officer should get 8 hours off and at minimum our DEPARTMENT should have used its CIRT to get this Officer counseling and re-assignment to a lower level yard or no inmate contact. The Officer admitted to the incident and apologized for it, for administration to use investigators to talk to him would be a waste of resources. The request for the investigation was over the top, but they on their own, scaled it back. This Officer received an NNTI.

Now, I referred this Officer to a CHAPLAIN at his complex. Chaplains I feel are the best tool to use since they are better trained in stress debriefing and are certified. They also do not report to the department the finite details of the Officers life.

Today, this Officer e-mailed and said that the Chaplain has helped with marriage counseling and that the Officers spouse is considering working through each other’s stress. Is that not how things should go instead of making people feel worse? Discipline is to hold you accountable not to mentally punish you.

This guy at work is trying to tell me to join the new union or that doc will have the power to fire me no matter what like Wis. I told him that I have a religious conviction against belonging to unions and such and they are useless and just take your money and leave you hanging. I didn't need them when I worked for the mines and not now. I heard from this guy that is a retired lt that recruits at the gate that they get laws change to protect us at work.

For my own benifit what are these laws and how can I find them. I have always worried about my self and what I do and not the ones that get you in trouble. I would like to know these laws if they exist so I can have them in my tool box when and if needed.

JJ

"you can call me JJ, but don't call me Guey Guey."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12