“NON-USE OF TOBACCO PRODUCTS AGREEMENT,”

“NON-USE OF TOBACCO PRODUCTS AGREEMENT,”

All cops have something in common, they have high stress levels. Stress does not cause lung cancer, but stress can lower your immune system making us more susceptible to disease. That’s why it is even more important not to smoke. Randy a recently deceased officer at the young age of only 54 was a habitual smoker and that was the cause of his lung cancer and extremely early demise. The lesson we learn from Randy's death is that smoking is a horrible disease and addiction. The former Surgeon General C. Everet Koop once said that nicotine is more addictive than heroin. This has been proven time after time. We must take steps to ban and hopefully someday out law the use of tobacco products. So the next time you’re dealing with a crack addict or drunken vagrant on the streets have some compassion and show some mercy, and remember that they suffer from the same addictive disease, just a different substance.

If the department wants to be proactive and save lives they would implement a “NON-USE OF TOBACCO PRODUCTS AGREEMENT,” If Randy wanted to continue his employment he would not have been able to smoke and would still be alive today, and the police department would also have benefitted. The latest studies show that smokers have a poorer-than-average work performance and call in sick more than non-smokers. The policy works in Temple Terrace P.D. and it will work here. Please contact your PBA representative and tell him you want to save lives by instituting a “NON-USE OF TOBACCO PRODUCTS AGREEMENT,” in the next contract. Be prepared for the smokers to fight tooth and nail but do not give in. It is the addiction to nicotine that has consumed them and we will be saving their lives.

Re: “NON-USE OF TOBACCO PRODUCTS AGREEMENT,”

And then what? Are we still allowed to eat cheeseburgers? We all know what a big killer heart disease is.... Can I still ride my motorcycle? What about drink alcohol? Both can be risky. It would certainly "save lives" to ban them...

See my point? You are starting down an awfully slippery slope. All I require of the city is to pay my wages and provide the tools I need to do my job. All they require of me is that I do it. Period.

Quote Originally Posted by Guest
    And then what? Are we still allowed to eat cheeseburgers? We all know what a big killer heart disease is.... Can I still ride my motorcycle? What about drink alcohol? Both can be risky. It would certainly "save lives" to ban them...

See my point? You are starting down an awfully slippery slope. All I require of the city is to pay my wages and provide the tools I need to do my job. All they require of me is that I do it. Period.
    You must be one of the smokers. If that is your best argument it is a very week one and not even worth debating.

"Sign this agreement saying you won't use tobacco or lose your job."

Yeah right. While I wouldn't be surprised if the city did something that stupid, they'd get sued back into the stone age if they did it. There's plenty of precedent that says while an employer can require a new employee to refrain from tobacco use, they cannot force current employees to do so if they were not hired when such a requirement was in place.

I don't use tobacco, however tobacco users have rights too. You can't fire someone if they won't quit smoking. Smokers know the dangers of tobacco use and choose to take those risks, just like all of us in law enforcement do the job everyday knowing the risks that it entails.

You must be one of the smokers. If that is your best argument it is a very week one and not even worth debating.
    Translation: I can't defend my ludicrous suggestion.

I love the part about the most recent studies showing...

"The latest studies show that smokers have a poorer-than-average work performance and call in sick more than non-smokers."

So smokers are lazy or would it be stupidity that make them poorer than average workers. Name the studies you garnered this gem from.

Oh and lay off Randy, I'm sure you didn't know him... he didn't have lung cancer.

Why on Earth would someone want to PROLONG their life? Good Lord! I say come and get me :devil: