18% Cuts Coming-should i stay or go
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

18% Cuts Coming-should i stay or go

As if things were not bad enough already, word is we will be cutting 18% this coming year. Not sure how we will be able to function with anymore cuts beyond what we have now. Supposedly, there will be twice as many layoffs as last year but I don't think they will lay off any analysts or agents. I am in the hiring process with the feds right now and am trying to decide what to do when I get the offer. I feel like things are going to get better eventually as it is usually cyclical in this state when it comes to the budget. I feel like the state is eventually going to bring the step plan back and give everyone raises. Its just a matter of time. That's one of the reasons I may not leave when the feds call b/c I could just see the state budget finally picking up and getting better. I'd be interested to see what some of you other people think. I am 34 and my wife is a nurse so she can find a job anywhere. I've got 7 years in with the state retirement. Any opinions would be appreciated. I just hope there is no trickle down effect with the economy that leads to the feds budgets getting messed up like the state.

Re: 18% Cuts Coming-should i stay or go

You are already vested. Freeze what you have in FRS and go. Looking back for a historical perspective on the "swinging pendulum" is not a good practice in today's economy. You are correct in assuming the state will one day catch up but they won't be passing the federal government. There is no need to. The state will continue to shrink state employee numbers. The remaining jobs will become more competitive, which will hold salaries down. Please remember - even when there was a 3 BILLION DOLLAR SURPLUS - state employees got nothing of note. GO. GO as quickly as possible and never look back. I will leave you with this thought. I started in LE the same time as a good friend. He went to DEA. I stayed with DLE. He made 111K last year. Care to guess what I made? No one took this job with the plan of getting rich. I did expect a salary commensurate with my education and experience. The state has not and will not do that.

Take the investment plan dollars and run. Step has been ruled UNCONSTITUTIONAL and contrary to what anyone has told you...that is why we do not have it in State Govt. 2 lawsuits by PBA and and FDLEAA verified that and it WILL NOT BE BACK. As far as the state getting back in gear financially; 3-5 years just to start seeing minimal COLA raises again IF the housing industry recovers and taxes regain normal flow.

Just leave. You will have NO regrets once you are bringing home six figures in three years.

Quote Originally Posted by Guest
    Just leave. You will have NO regrets once you are bringing home six figures in three years.
    On paper, DLE looks like a good career move and then once your there, you realize what a dead end the place actually is if you have ANY career initiative as an individual. The pay is only a part of the problem but just consider, you can do a heck of alot better working at a place where a good portion of your time is spent in your chosen profession rather than political boot licking to justify your position. It is hard to leave a comfortable job but you will realize once you are clear of the place, your going to realize it was the right decision. Good Luck.

I hear Burger King is hiring.

This is a good job, but it is not a good time to be working here now. Those days were several years ago and are not expected to come back any time soon. I agree with the previous poster; even when there was a large surplus of cash the State did not do anything great for us, and there were agents even THEN applying for federal or private sector jobs. Convert your FRS to the Investment Plan, and go when the opportunity arrives. Best of luck.

There is a lot of history as to why FLorida does not nor ever will have a strong State Police. Our legislators and their suitors prefer a fragmented and marginalized bunch for a reason.

Florida S H E R I F F S Association

Hey "special agent" your agency was started by the sheriffs association and wouldn't exist without them. You people are sooo overrated for the little you do.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast