Cameras on your head for Police?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Cameras on your head for Police?

Check this out, San Jose, Ca. is mounting cameras on the officer's heads...

http://www.mercurynews.com/ci_14030412?nclick_check=1

It was on today's Drudge Report. I thought that the cameras in the cars were bad...

Re: Cameras on your head for Police?

Our great chief has probably already called Tazer Intl for a quote. It'll be one more thing she can use to hammer an officer. :devil:

$1,700 each...we cant even afford decals for the cars that are getting repainted. I would not expect these anythime soon. Allthough, the city does have all that money from not giving us our step....

Does this mean you can't look down when you tinkle?

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon X
    Does this mean you can't look down when you tinkle?

Now that is some good comedy right there, LMFAO!!!!!! :lol:

I don't see these staying around. Taser created one great product, however this one isn't going to catch on. Vehicle operations are a high liability area. Police departments pay out exponentially more money because of vehicle crashes than anything else they are sued for, and this is the same here as it is everywhere else in the country. In-car cameras have become popular because their purpose is purported to be limiting a department's liability in vehicle operations, something that they do well in many cases. The evidentiary value is secondary. These personal type cameras would require a greater expense because you have to outfit the department, not just the department's vehicles. They're also much more prone to breakage.

San Jose is an extremely anti-police, liberal city. Most departments are not going to spend nearly $2000 per officer just to make sure that they're being nice to the public, especially in today's economic environment. I remember about ten years ago when many departments began to have their officers carry mini tape recorders and record their contacts with the public. That seemed to be a trend for a while, but it fizzled out. These will most likely suffer the same fate, and I bet that Taser won't be producing them for all that long because not enough departments will be interested in shelling out the cash.

Unregistered

My how the times have changed!

Well, this certainly didn’t age well.

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by ;1489774
    I don't see these staying around. Taser created one great product, however this one isn't going to catch on. Vehicle operations are a high liability area. Police departments pay out exponentially more money because of vehicle crashes than anything else they are sued for, and this is the same here as it is everywhere else in the country. In-car cameras have become popular because their purpose is purported to be limiting a department's liability in vehicle operations, something that they do well in many cases. The evidentiary value is secondary. These personal type cameras would require a greater expense because you have to outfit the department, not just the department's vehicles. They're also much more prone to breakage.

San Jose is an extremely anti-police, liberal city. Most departments are not going to spend nearly $2000 per officer just to make sure that they're being nice to the public, especially in today's economic environment. I remember about ten years ago when many departments began to have their officers carry mini tape recorders and record their contacts with the public. That seemed to be a trend for a while, but it fizzled out. These will most likely suffer the same fate, and I bet that Taser won't be producing them for all that long because not enough departments will be interested in shelling out the cash.
    If the court system would finally start prosecuting and fining those that make false accusations, the cameras would be paid for in no time.

Unregistered
    A dinosaurs two cents. A camera is a good cops friend and these provide a better viewpoint than the chest worn cameras.

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    If the court system would finally start prosecuting and fining those that make false accusations, the cameras would be paid for in no time.

AMEN to that

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast